The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks set to make WCF?

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

Will the Vancouver Canucks Make At Least the Western Conference Final this year?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The West is a conference where anybody can get to round 3, and the Canucks have the guns to do it if everyone is healthy and Markstrom stays in form.

But the Canucks also have the ability to fart their way out of the first round like they did against Calgary a few years back, and the East is a murderers' row.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The West is a conference where anybody can get to round 3, and the Canucks have the guns to do it if everyone is healthy and Markstrom stays in form.

But the Canucks also have the ability to fart their way out of the first round like they did against Calgary a few years back, and the East is a murderers' row.

Yeah that's all I'm saying in this thread (with the backup of articles on not 1, but 2 major sites).  Not pulling this out of my rear here.  Basing it on the 2 articles and running with it. 

As far as not playing well lately, yeah, well St. Louis, Vegas, and Edmonton had rough stretches too.

As far as Vegas, I think Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg will give them all they can handle if we don't play them in Round 1. 

Also, we definitely do underestimate our team.

Edited by Sean83
To add

1 hour ago, Sean83 said:

There seems to be a lot of buzz around this wonderful team we have.  Check out the below articles:

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-set-up-well-for-deep-playoff-run-at-stanley-cup/c-315304424

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/vancouver-canucks-allin-mentality-nhl-trades-could-lead-to-long-playoff-run-212916176.html

David Amber of CBC has also been high on us all year.

With the addition of Toffoli, Boesser rumored to have said he won't be out for a horrendous amount of time, and if Markstrom continues to play out of his mind, we could very well make AT LEAST the WCF.  This is a lot like 2011 in a lot of ways.  Other teams in the league are weak.  Wide-open playoff race.  1 more nice acquisition before the TDL and we may be able to make a strong run at the championship (although those 2 articles above already peg us for going deep).

I think we are likely to come out of the 1st round.  Then our opponent in Round 2 will be Vegas, Calgary, or Edmonton.  We have demonstrated the ability to crush all 3 of those teams this year.  So by virtue of playing against one of those 3 in the 2nd round, we have a somewhat greater chance of making to the WCF almost by default, just due to the luck of playoff seeding.

What do you think?

I think it doesn't take much to be the 8th place team at this point so no point in getting too excited yet.  With that said, it's incredibly fun knowing that many wrote this team off before the season started and now WCF is in the discussions :)  Anything can happen with momentum peaking at the right time but the natural course of events would suggest this team is 2-3 years away from serious WCF discussions.  JB is slowly putting together a team that is more playoff ready but there's still some toughness missing IMO.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With the way we've been playing recently there's a strong chance we don't even make the playoffs, let alone go deep. 

Agree but at least this year has been about inconsistency / streakiness each way.  They've at least been able to put together a series of wins after a 3-4 games of lacklustre play.  Tonight will be an excellent test for their readiness.

What wasn't enough? We took it to game 7 of the final round. Pretty banged up and exhausted. With one more days rest and some puck luck it could have ended differently. Anything can happen when you take it to game seven.

I'm not sure what it takes to put a great team on the ice in some peoples minds. 

2 hours ago, Sean83 said:

There seems to be a lot of buzz around this wonderful team we have.  Check out the below articles:

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-set-up-well-for-deep-playoff-run-at-stanley-cup/c-315304424

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/vancouver-canucks-allin-mentality-nhl-trades-could-lead-to-long-playoff-run-212916176.html

With the addition of Toffoli, Boesser rumored to have said he won't be out for a horrendous amount of time, and if Markstrom continues to play out of his mind, we could very well make AT LEAST the WCF.  This is a lot like 2011 in a lot of ways.  Other teams in the league are weak.  Wide-open playoff race.  1 more nice acquisition before the TDL and we may be able to make a strong run at the championship (although those 2 articles above already peg us for going deep).

I think we are likely to come out of the 1st round.  Then our opponent in Round 2 will be Vegas, Calgary, or Edmonton.  We have demonstrated the ability to crush all 3 of those teams this year.  So by virtue of playing against one of those 3 in the 2nd round, we have a somewhat greater chance of making to the WCF almost by default, just due to the luck of playoff seeding.

What do you think?

you should expand your polling

allow everyone the option to pick the gwg scores for the first and second round games

will the nucks win the first round in 4, 5, or 6 games

and the second round ?

if you are going to go down this road

why be so vague

there is a lot of room for many other polls to be started to enrich the narrative

since you are suggesting today that polling the wcf fortunes of the nucks is a valuable thing

:wub:

3 hours ago, Sean83 said:

What do you think?

You're high !

The Pacific is so close, anything could happen, and based on how good the Canucks are at home, if they get home ice advantage I think the first two rounds could be a breeze. We might be facing two Pacific division teams in the first two rounds who are all hopeless on the road. Win 2, lose 1 then win 1 road game and we might be able to breeze through the first two rounds. 

There's an argument to say that whoever comes out into the WCF will get the crap beat out of them by each other (Colorado and St. Louis) and we have shown we can handle those teams as well, so if they're a bit banged up who knows? I think anything could happen this playoffs and JB senses it as well.

• Cheers 1

I think in the playoffs, anything is possible. But there are a couple certain teams I would be really concerned about. Oddly, it isn't so much the top teams like Colorado and the Blues, but namely Vegas and Winnipeg. (If they get in).

But again, anything is possible.

I just want to see a hard fought series, win or lose. It’s very difficult for a group who has never played playoff hockey together before to win a round, let alone two or more. No matter what happens in the playoffs, I’m just happy to be there.