Canucks Community

Congrats Bo on a Gordie Howe HatTrick

Rate this topic

Puckster

1 hour ago, Puckster said:

A Goal, an assist and a fight

Oh Captain my Captain!!!

Grats

I have often wondered why this accomplishment is named after Gordie Howe as he was not the 1st to do this nor did he accomplish this feat more than others. Howe only had 2 "Gordie Howe hat tricks" in his career and, to his credit, both were against the Leafs. He probably could have had more but nobody wanted to fight him so I guess there is that but the most in NHL history is Rick Tocchet with 18.

The best explanation I can find for it being named after Howe is:

In ice hockey, a Gordie Howe hat trick is a variation on the hat-trick, wherein a player scores a goal, records an assist and gets in a fight all in one game. It is named after Hall of Famer Gordie Howe, who is known as "Mr. Hockey", because he is considered the most well rounded hockey player of all time.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe it was because he often could, and did, make exciting plays, score exciting goals and drop the gloves against some seriously tough guys.

Though everyone seems to fixate on the number of times each has happened in the same game, very few players have been able to maintain the same level of overall scoring and physicality.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

Also played head to head against the Bergeron line and that line didn't register a point with him on the ice (both Pastrnak goals were scored when Horvat wasn't on the ice). Bergeron didn't get a single point tonight as well.

Edited by ruilin96

10 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I have often wondered why this accomplishment is named after Gordie Howe as he was not the 1st to do this nor did he accomplish this feat more than others. Howe only had 2 "Gordie Howe hat tricks" in his career and, to his credit, both were against the Leafs. He probably could have had more but nobody wanted to fight him so I guess there is that but the most in NHL history is Rick Tocchet with 18.

The best explanation I can find for it being named after Howe is:

In ice hockey, a Gordie Howe hat trick is a variation on the hat-trick, wherein a player scores a goal, records an assist and gets in a fight all in one game. It is named after Hall of Famer Gordie Howe, who is known as "Mr. Hockey", because he is considered the most well rounded hockey player of all time.

I mean M*rk M*ssier has a leadership award named after him so I’m guessing Accurate descriptions for hockey accomplishments/awards aren’t really necessary...

• Haha 1

What I really noticed : Bo's line was shutting down the Boston top line so well, that they figured by getting him into the Box for 5 min. or more that would give Bergeron some breathing space. Didn't work out so well for them. I really dislike the Bruins and their dirty tricks:

- put our best shutdown defender in the box

- If that doesn't work, give him some stick in the face....

- give our goalie some stick in the eye....

- some one else got some stick in the face as well, i think stetcher?Virtenan?

and no penalties on these stick infractions. Makes one wonder, does it not?

I am just super stoked that the Nucks kicked their BUTT in spite of dirty tricks...