The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

Just now, IBatch said:

What is "weird" is we starting losing after BB went down, and continued to lose once Markstrom went down too.   Fighting - well it's about time. 

That’s true. But I can think of 2 fights that potentially changed momentum for the other team and we lost the game. We should be fighting to protect not fighting to fight imo. 

It’s weird how some people want to trade Boeser and here we are, not the same team without him 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Pettersson is not an exception.  McDavid plays through plenty of abuse.  Hitchcock got mad last year but it didn't change anything.  

Crosby has dealt with this his entire career.    Not like it didn't happen when enforcers were around.  That said just read Gretzky's book and he feels about those guys watching his back.  McSorely HAD to be part of the trade or NO deal.   Then the uproar was so loud and didn't abate when he was traded to PIT he was soon back.  All most teams have now are the refs.   Enforcers leave and the first thing players start doing like a bunch of brats in grade school is slash each other's hands (a huge code violation) to the degree that the league had to step in with the same seriousness as post lock-out obstruction.    I'm agreeing with you just so it's clear.   EP is going to have to grow thick skin the same way the Sedins did to survive and prosper.   Enforcers have a role in every single group.   Now there is none left really ... I doubt the league will ever ref games in a way that takes over the role correctly.   which means abuse to stars with no retaliation.  And refs won't go much further then 2-1 calls for one team, means a lot of extra whacks and dirty hits don't get called.   Ugh. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has recalled defencemen Guillaume Brisebois and Jalen Chatfield from the Comets under emergency conditions. Justin Bailey has been reassigned.

Brisebois, 22, has played 47 games with Utica this season, registering 4 goals, 11 assists and a +21 plus/minus rating. In 2018.19 he played 8 games with the Canucks and 49 games with Utica recording 11 points (3-8-11) and 22 penalty minutes. 

Chatfield, 23, has appeared in 46 games with Utica this season, registering 4 assists and accumulating 16 penalty minutes. He spent the 2018.19 season with the Comets, recording 6 points (0-6-6) in 34 games. 

Bailey, 24, has appeared in two games with the Canucks and 49 games with Utica (27-18-45) this season. The Buffalo, New York Native has played in 65 NHL games, accumulating nine points (5-4-9) and 10 penalty minute

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think that there's a correlation between losing and the increase in pushback. Plenty of the penalties that have costed the team a game, haven't been fighting majors.

Certainly McDavid has been targeted as well, but Tippet did put Kassian on his line to help decrease the frequency of said infractions knowing full well that it wouldn't result in a complete cessation.

The real issue with the amount of cheapshots happening across the league is the horrific standard of officiating that the NHL seems comfortable allowing to continue. It's pathetic the amount of actual, legitimate infractions that are allowed to happen.

I don’t disagree the reffing has been messed up with superstars and you’re right about Kassian, it does help. We just can’t get crazy with the smashy, smashy. We do need to do what right to win but we have to have interest in protecting the players. It’s a fine line but it shouldn’t have to be if the officials did an appropriate job. I bet they were told they are giving the opposition too many Power plays on Petey. It’s been a joke the last couple months. Turning Petey into a diver because he doesn’t know how else to get the officials attention 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

benning has said that they will have tough decisions to make in the off season and not everyone will be back. right now they have to go with what they’ve got. if they got rid of everyone on this team who has made mental mistakes, there would be no one left. the games i’ve watch, louie and sutter haven’t played bad at all. suts took a bad penalty last game but played a strong game otherwise. everyone played great for 50 minutes. 2 bad penalties and a few poor decisions cost them that game. over the course of the year, everyone has made poor decisions. petey, bo, miller, boeser, quinn and even markstrom.  lets at least be honest about this. 

I don't agree. There are players on this team who even the most casual fan can see have increased their intensity and urgency since the break. There are others who aren't matching that, and that's when you see breakdowns in communication.

Certainly, any player will have an off game, but the aforementioned players mentioned have displayed an overall reduction in their effectiveness, and at this point in the season, if a player like MacEwen brings a consistency to his effort, he should be given the shot over the others. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t disagree the reffing has been messed up with superstars and you’re right about Kassian, it does help.

Officiating (and to just as serious an extent, the DoPS) has been a failure for all the players in the NHL, not just the highest paid ones. For example, Brian McGrattan ended Andrew Alberts career with a needless cross check to the head. No need for that to happen, yet it did, and McGrattan didn't even receive a penalty.

We just can’t get crazy with the smashy, smashy. We do need to do what right to win but we have to have interest in protecting the players. It’s a fine line but it shouldn’t have to be if the officials did an appropriate job.

The Canucks have done a commendable job of using increased physicality to send a message, but helping to defend the most talented, gifted players is essential. One cross check may not do much to a player, but the cumulative effect of hundreds over a season can affect a player's ability to continue to play at the same level, far before the wages of time come knocking.

I love the physical aspect of hockey, but if the officials did their job even remotely close to properly, there would be less of the need for protection.  

I bet they were told they are giving the opposition too many Power plays on Petey. It’s been a joke the last couple months. Turning Petey into a diver because he doesn’t know how else to get the officials attention 

It is a joke. Calling the game by the book, and having the DoPS have some modicum of consistency in how they dole out punishment, would have a huge effect on how most players play, and would make the line that some are willing to cross far more obvious.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

every game Petersson has been thrown down, crosschecked, slashed numerous times. other teams constantly use two guys on him, because he is so good. the refs rarely help, as we have seen. Same as Hughes , but both of these guys do not complain they are just troopers and keep playing the game. to say these two are not playing well is bogus!!!!

I hope EP has good armadillo pads to protect his spine.