The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 10, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are winning 9 of our remaining 13.  Demko is getting comfortable in his starter role.  

I’m a little nervous about Domingue getting a start in the next couple game tbh 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This is misleading. Hughes has 45 assists 53 Pts.

He has 48 assist including 3 from last season.

Quinn has 13 games left , He'll make 50+ assist this season by the time it's over.

How is it misleading... the chart is "while playing as a rookie"  which includes the end of last season.  The counts for the others include those extra games as well (another version i saw had 85 games for someone)

• Cheers 1

All 4 lines looked good.  Some defensive gaffs but it is what it is.  Hopefully JB can re-sign Tofu.  Then we finally have a full top 6 wingers.  Just need to improve the D next year.

Miller EP Toffoli

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Gaudette Big Mack

Motte Sutter JV

All line have some potential to score.

Beagle (better at the faceoff) can replace Sutter when he's healthy.

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Only because the Canucks have had STRONG goaltending coaching for a while now.  Panthers screwed up his development.  

Maybe, maybe not.   Markstrom was when he was drafted considered a sure thing and for several years after ranked at or near the top for goalie prospects.   Maybe his size and the fact back then big goalies were the new next thing in goaltending (Rinne and Bishop) had something to do with it, and that it hid some of his flaws at the next level (it's hard to score when half the net is covered up with goalie and equipment).

The truth is Demko is definitely ahead of Markstrom at the same age, and well he has size advantage too (I've met him and he's a tall guy, no exaggeration there, taller then Luongo).

Out out seven games he's posted two just below .900, two at .909, plus .918 (win), .923 (loss) and .925 (win).   That's not too shabby.   Markstrom is peaking and it would be foolish to go with an unknown at this time, but I wouldn't mind either way (both have their advantages).  Just thankful we've got two capable guys ... we definitely need strong goaltending as the team matures. 

2 hours ago, brownky said:

Welcome to playoff refereeing, where the penalties are made up and actual fair play doesn't matter.

Your homage there refers to an awesome show.  Saw the reboot live once (well, twice, since they filmed 2 shows that night), and seen a number of the guys together live.  Brilliant people.

• Upvote 1

so my game plan would be to let Tanev walk, and trade Stecher + Virtanen for picks. (8.5Mish).  Virtanens value has grown and will require a raise... probably in the 3-4M range. I feel like players like MacEwen/Pod/Lind can ultimately fill his role in order to save on cap for better players, while turning current players into other assets.

Canucks will have approximately 24M to play with for 20/21

Marky 4 years 5.5M

Toffoli 5 years 6M

Gaudette 3 years 3M

Then Id look at taking a shot at Pieterangelo. 6 years 7M  He’s 30 and likely looking for term.  Could be a dangerous contract, but the reality is that Pete and Hughes are elc for next season... and Piet would round this defence core into a contending group for the next few seasons. The following year we have Sutter, Pearson, Edler, and Benn (16M) coming off the books to open up the extension space for our 2 stars... while also having Pod, Hog, Rafferty, Juolevi, Lind, Tryamkin et all ready for prime time to help fill out the roster.  the year after, Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson all off opening up another roughly 11M for other additions/extensions... all while the cap inflates.  Hopefully Van gets Pete and Hughes extensions done this summer, which won’t count until 21/22... 7-9M each imo. 

20/21 season:

Miller Pete Toffoli

Pearson Bo Brock

Ferland/Leivo? Gaudette MacEwen

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Loui

Motte

Hoglander

Hughes Pieterangelo

Edler Rafferty

Tryamkin Myers

Benn

Juolevi

marky

demmer

=contender imo. 

1 minute ago, falcons said:

Looking ahead to Fridays game vs the Avs. Nathan Mackinnon is out 1-2 weeks with a lower body injury.

Yay !

Colorado has so so many injuries 6 of there top 8 players are hurt...Vancouver have to pick up 2 points Friday in Colorado, take advantage of very hurt team..Have to come out and play every game with urgency ...

Next 4 games, Coyotes, Colorado, Jets. Lightning, ... Must get 6 of 8  points...

2 minutes ago, 70seven said:

so my game plan would be to let Tanev walk, and trade Stecher + Virtanen for picks. (8.5Mish).  Virtanens value has grown and will require a raise... probably in the 3-4M range. I feel like players like MacEwen/Pod/Lind can ultimately fill his role in order to save on cap for better players, while turning current players into other assets.

Marky 4 years 5.5M

Toffoli 5 years 6M

Gaudette 3 years 3M

Then Id look at taking a shot at Pieterangelo. 6 years 7M  He’s 30 and likely looking for term.  Could be a dangerous contract, but the reality is that Pete and Hughes are elc for next season... and Piet would round this defence core into a contending group for the next few seasons. The following year we have Sutter, Pearson, Edler, and Benn (16M) coming off the books to open up the extension space for our 2 stars... while also having Pod, Hog, Rafferty, Juolevi, Lind, Tryamkin et all ready for prime time to help fill out the roster.  the year after, Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson all off opening up another roughly 11M for other additions/extensions... all while the cap inflates.  Hopefully Van gets Pete and Hughes extensions done this summer, which won’t count until 21/22... 7-9M each imo. 

20/21 season:

Miller Pete Toffoli

Pearson Bo Brock

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Loui

Motte

Hoglander

Hughes Pieterangelo

Edler Rafferty

Tryamkin Myers

Benn

Juolevi

marky

demmer

=contender imo. 

Like your ideas of trades...

Have to sign Markstrom 4 yrs x 5.7 million - 8 team trade list..Decide on either Markstrom 30  or Demko 24, before expansion may 2021

We will have Dipietro ready to backup by 2021 season.. Trading one of these goalies will happen and return will be very good  1st rounder and prospect.

Taffoli 4 yrs x 5 million

Trade Boser for Top # 2 D MAN...This must happen since we won't sign Tanev.... Nj Has Severson 25, 6'2-- along with 3rd rounder --- Boser...

Have to trade good player to get a top 2 D man..

Trade Stetcher--- 3rd rounder --- Rafferty will fill this spot..

Gaudette - 2yrs x 2.5 million show me more deal..

Jake -- 4 yrs x 3.5 -- Big power forward every team need.. 20 - 24 goal guy..

Leivo - 2 yrs x 1.8 million show me more, gritty can play in top 9 -- will put up 17 - 22 goals very gritty and tough.

Fantenberg -- 2 yrs x 1.4 -- solid guy fill # 5 and 6 spot..

Trade 1 of these players Sutter or Beagle..

Big Zack - 23, 6'4 power forward, speed, grit need to sign 2 year x 1.1 per yr deal,,One way contract.

Motte - 1.1 yr x 2 yrs ? very valuable 4th line guy..

Rafferty, Juolevi, ready for NHL...

Will be a exciting summer some big  decisions to make..

Don't over pay for free agents, must trade for top 2 D man --- Must happen with no Tanev and Edler getting older..

We don't have young guy to fill Tanev role... 

21 minutes ago, 70seven said:

OF 

Marky 4 years 5.5M

Toffoli 5 years 6M

Gaudette 3 years 3M

20/21 season:

Miller Pete Toffoli

Pearson Bo Brock

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Loui

Motte

Hoglander

Hughes Pieterangelo

Edler Rafferty

Tryamkin Myers

Benn

Juolevi

marky

demmer

=contender imo. 

AP is not taking less then he's currently making.   Maybe the same to stay where he is and 8 years - but to pry him out of St Louis we'd have to be the highest bidder and no thanks to that.  Some of the other ideas are ok - but don't forget we need to re-sign EP and QH the following year and even a bridge won't come cheap...we simply can't afford to go all in with term until those two are signed as well.  MAYBE we can re-sign TT around 5 x 5...anymore and we will almost certainly regret it..even odds even that will become an anchor (see Neal and a dozen others). 

Don't be fooled by this year - he's not going to all of a sudden be a PPGer, he will absolutely go back to his career norm over the duration of his next contact and that's the best case scenario.  The moment he signs there is no  more carrot or motivation - it happens year after year with decent level players or low level stars even - they rarely keep it up (forwards in particular).  Why should we expect anything different?  Okposo's UFA year he was a PPGer and posted much more promising stats before that then TT.   Neal recently, Ryan a long time ago now, Ladd, Foligno, LE, Lucic, Backes etc and these were much bigger names then TT.   If I was JB I'd offer him 5x5 as the high bar take it or leave it.  If someone wants to give him a JVR (at the time) or Hayes like contract so be it - let them take the hit of an extra roster player.   Much rather bridge JV again at a 3 x 3 - and take my chances if we can only keep one, wouldn't you? 

Edit: the cap isn't going up if more teams follow SJ and don't allow fans in the buildings.  It's an easy excuse - and will definitely be used. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Marky 4 years 5.5M

Toffoli 5 years 6M

Gaudette 3 years 3M

20/21 season:

Miller Pete Toffoli

Pearson Bo Brock

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Loui

Motte

Hoglander

Hughes Pieterangelo

Edler Rafferty

Tryamkin Myers

Benn

Juolevi

marky

demmer

=contender imo. 

You're underpaying 3 players who are signing their last big contract and coming off career years.

Markstrom will get way more term and an AAV close to 6.5m-7m on the open market.

Toffolli will sign a similar deal to Kevin Hayes and Chris Kreider 6-7 years at $7m

Pietrangelo is going to get way more than a $500k AAV raise I don't care what the term is. He's a SC captain and will set career highs in goals and points this season an AAV around 9 sounds about right.

So you're off by about $4m-$5m.

Not to mention the fact that that you think you'll get EP and Hughes for a combined 14m-18m whens it more than likely over 20m.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I’m a little nervous about Domingue getting a start in the next couple game tbh 

I think if Demmy keeps playing well, we don’t see Domingue back in.  I know we got a lot of games left with 3 back to backs but damn.. domingue got me shook 

Edited by John.Tallhouse
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

we are on the fast track of missing the playoffs if we continue to give up 45 or more shorts, I assure you.

Really? I had the impression that we have an excellent record this year when facing 40 or more shots. Do you have information to the contrary?

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe, maybe not.   Markstrom was when he was drafted considered a sure thing and for several years after ranked at or near the top for goalie prospects.   Maybe his size and the fact back then big goalies were the new next thing in goaltending (Rinne and Bishop) had something to do with it, and that it hid some of his flaws at the next level (it's hard to score when half the net is covered up with goalie and equipment).

The truth is Demko is definitely ahead of Markstrom at the same age, and well he has size advantage too (I've met him and he's a tall guy, no exaggeration there, taller then Luongo).

Out out seven games he's posted two just below .900, two at .909, plus .918 (win), .923 (loss) and .925 (win).   That's not too shabby.   Markstrom is peaking and it would be foolish to go with an unknown at this time, but I wouldn't mind either way (both have their advantages).  Just thankful we've got two capable guys ... we definitely need strong goaltending as the team matures. 

Even a vet like Luongo got better with us.  The one constant (that's with several goalie coach changes)....thru several different GMs here now, is goalie development.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan