Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

21 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

All kind of logistics.

Contracts end

Free agency

The Draft

Clauses in trade deals

What ever they do, it has to be completed by July 1. Otherwise there is too much to do, some stuff just can't be delayed.

Playoffs ending in late August early September, players changing teams and then starting a few weeks later

Playoffs can be shortened but still have them.

First round a best of three or five with back to back games, one week and they are done.

Second round the same

One week off and then the conference finals with limited OT's and then 4 on 4 to shorten the games

Stanley cup finals just the regular series, best of seven with unlimited OT 5 on 5.

Then there would be the cap, with no games the cap goes down. For wome teams that is no big deal, even Toronto might have to jettison only one player to go down 4 million, they might have to let Barrie go.

But in Vancouver, 11 players needing raises? With only 8 to 11 million? Toffoli signs with LA or Anaheim who have loads of cap space now even if the Canucks let both Tanev, Stecher and Markstrom go for free they are still in cap hell, next year Pettersson and Hughes need an additional 14 million in cap space and that is conservative if they grind them down to 7 mil a season each.

Then this team is on the outside looking in depending upon the game number the league decides on, they might decide that game number 68 that all teams have played and then use tie breakers. This would be a failure to make the playoffs.

Hopefully they pause for no more than 3 weeks

I did the math on another thread. Whether the league goes with current standings points % or goes back to the record of each team at the 68 game mark the Canucks are in. 3rd in the Pacific with the current points % or the 2nd WC if they go to the 68 game record.

• Thanks 1

Some of the things I am going to miss.....in no particular order

1. The often unfair trashing of Loui
  2. The fire Green comments
  3. Aquilini live-tweeting during games
  4. Marie Hui singing the anthem
  5. GDTs and bantering with all....most of you
  6. watching Quinn skate
  7. watching the rest of our D try to skate

Some of the things I am not going to miss....in no particular order

1. Randorf
  2. Untalented at best, corrupt at worst, officiating
  3. Randorf
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I did the math on another thread. Whether the league goes with current standings points % or goes back to the record of each team at the 68 game mark the Canucks are in. 3rd in the Pacific with the current points % or the 2nd WC if they go to the 68 game record.

Regulation point or wins is a tie breaker, Canucks .500 Preds .514 points percentage they are tied at .565

Using every comparison the Preds come out ahead two out of three times,

Tie-Breaking Procedure

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage). - Tied

The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., "Regulation Wins"). ... - Preds

The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. - Preds

Pretty sure that is that

The Canucks are only 6 wins and 11 losses in last 17 games.

14 hours ago, Davathor said:

Dont worry guys, the Coronavirus is here to save our season! If the league follows suit with the NBA, Marky will be healed up and good to go for the stretch run!

3 cheers for Covid 19!

I CALLED IT BOYS

CANUCKS SQUEEK INTO THE PLAYOFFS IN 8TH!!!

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If the nhl ends up cancelling the regular season I dont believe we make the playoffs if they use standings as of today.

That would make no sense; different teams have different games played. Point % makes sense. But it is bettman, wouldn’t be surprised if he screws this up somehow. 

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I am surprised they went full def con 5 on this. Suspension of games.  I had thought the next step was going to be no fans at games.

I imagine the NBA players getting positive tests was a big alarm bell.  But still, playing devil's advocate, could they not have set up a strict protocol for NHL players and coaches, officials.  Everyone gets tested immediately.  Maybe even hockey players families. Weekly. That's  not a lot of people relatively, so it could be doable. If even one test is positive, shut it down, but if all players, refs, are cleared, you allow televised games. With of course strict rules about hygiene for the players.  Also hockey is different than basketball in that you are geared up and covered from head to toe.  Ban fighting during this time. Is that crazy? or just crazy to watch Canuck hockey?

They could but that would be a logistic nightmare.

51 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Regulation point or wins is a tie breaker, Canucks .500 Preds .514 points percentage they are tied at .565

Using every comparison the Preds come out ahead two out of three times,

Tie-Breaking Procedure

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage). - Tied

The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., "Regulation Wins"). ... - Preds

The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. - Preds

Pretty sure that is that

The Canucks are only 6 wins and 11 losses in last 17 games.

Yes but you're failing to see the most important part of this argument. If it comes down to point % then the Predators are not the team we beat out...its the Flames and Jets. My math is 100% correct. If the NHL bases the playoff's on the current standings point % then the Canucks will get 3rd in the Pacific if they base it on 68 games played for each team the Canucks get the 2nd WC.