Rate this topic

BoKnows

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Michel Goulet

4x 50 goals

7x40+ goals

4x 100 points

6x 90 points

I seen his name in NHL 20 as a NHL comparable for some draft prospect and I was like "who". I should look him up. If those totals are accurate he must have been really good.

Edited by N7Nucks

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd put Mike Green in this list, though it seems like yesterday and also long ago that he was tearing it up with Ovie and Backstrom in Washington.

Marc Methot also -- former big minute D-partner to Erik Karlsson when he was in Ottawa, yet the Sens still exposed him in the Expansion Draft.  Turns out Vegas then dealt him to Dallas and he's now a UFA.

Anyone remember the shootout wizard that was Linus Omark?  Turns out he's been overseas since 2013.

Former Flyers captain and Kings 2nd line center Mike Richards?  All Name Team assistant captain Fedor Tyutin?

For the greybeards, Marty Turco (didn't really do much with a middling Stars team), Robert Lang, Jonathan Cheechoo (one hit wonder next to Joe Thornton) and all the middle 6 guys in the 2000's (Arnott, Straka, Glen Murray, Jason Allison, Deadmarsh...)

Pretty good list.. But wrong on Marty Turco as he was a stud. 

• Like 1

From guys who played in the 2000s onward:

Roman Cechmanek - put up some insane numbers. .921, .921. 925 save percentage before a weak season on a bad kings team and disappearing. Best shutout per game ratio in the modern era. https://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-roman-cechmanek/. Tied 6th all time in career save pct and the best Flyers goalie since Ron Hextall. 

Martin Straka - finished fourth in scoring one year for 95 points. Over 700 NHL points in his career. Close to a point per game player two years straight then had an off 41 point 65 game campaign

Glen Murray - 5th in the league in goals one year, 44 during the dead puck era to go along with a couple of 30+ goal seasons

Marc Savard - from 2003-2009 he was likely top 5 in points per game. 97, 96, and 88 point seasons when healthy.

Ray Whitney - over 1000 NHL points. I don't remember him putting up 77 points in 82 games on the Coyotes.

Lubomir Visnovsky - lead the Kings in scoring one year with 67 points then followed it up with 18 goals 58 points in 69 games. Was a + player on a bad Kings team.

Steve Sullivan - was a really good offensive player - had some great seasons but never seemed to earn the respect of other guys putting up similar numbers

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I seen his name in NHL 20 as a NHL comparable for some draft prospect and I was like "who". I should look him up. If those totals are accurate he must have been really good.

Came into the league on a bad Nordique team, within 2 years it featured 3 Stastnys and Dale Hunter, later he played with Joe Sakic.

He held his own with all those guys

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Some are one hit wonders: Ziggy Palffy, Jim Carey, Joe Juneau, and Petr Bondra, 

I remember he did a video in Washington where he would tell people he is Jim Carey and no one would believe him and said he doesn't look like the famous actor..haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmqyJbJkvLM (The explanation on the rise and fall of Jim Carey)

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Completely forgot about Hejduk.

Niklas Backstrom comes to mind too.  He was one of my favourite goalies growing up.

Prime Kipper was filthy as well. That year he took them to the Finals, what a season. He had like a 1.5 GAA or something like that.

• Like 1