The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What bottom 6 forward or 5/6 dman would you want to pick up if available (discussion)

Ok, yes, we all know, that we would want the stars on a particular team, but who would you want, that is a bottom 6 or a #5/6 defensemen?

Who do you think adds to our team, if added?

I am going to start by saying I would love Jordan Greenway (Minn) Young, big, fast, can chip in with the odd goal, and is a cost controlled RFA

Not top 6 yet, but will be down the road...…...

Who is your guy?

Edited by janisahockeynut

Miles Wood

he's like a bigger and younger Roussel. physical, pesty, good speed and can chip in some points. good for 10-15 goals a year, almost scored 20 a couple seasons ago. 

he's an RFA only 24 yrs old fits with our group. 

56 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok, yes, we all know, that we would want the stars on a particular team, but who would you want, that is a bottom 6 or a #5/6 defensemen?

Who do you think adds to our team, if added?

I am going to start by saying I would love Jordan Greenway (Minn) Young, big, fast, can chip in with the odd goal, and is a cost controlled RFA

Not top 6 yet, but will be down the road...…...

Who is your guy?

• Cheers 2

Miles Wood for sure... but I'd almost consider him about to become a top 6 guy. 

Nic Deslauriers from Anaheim. Fights a ton, big, mean, but fast enough to stay on the 4th line. 

Anthony Cirelli might be the best 3rd line centre in the league right now (unless Couturier is the Flyers' 3rd line C). 

Tyler Pitlick on Philly impressed me. Quite fast/high energy Hansen-type player. I'm sure AV loves him. A similar player is Jason Dickinson in Dallas. Sammy Blais in St. Louis as well.

Adam Lowry always played a responsible heavy game and would make a good 4C option. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Agreed with Cirelli and Lowry.  Tampa's got quite a few (Joseph, Verhaeghe, Paquette), and the onus they put on getting gritty guys with speed who can play makes them really dangerous as they can throw waves of attacking lines at opposing teams.  Similar guys would be Komarov and Cizikas (though they're probably priced out re: Beagle or Roussel) as they bring grit and can also play.  Realistically though, we don't really need anymore forwards.

Thinking back, when Sam Gagner was on Columbus he put up a 50 point season as a 4th liner who played big PP minutes, and I wonder if there would be other teams who have been deploying players to similar effects.  Maybe someone like Brad Hunt could be a good defensive option as he has a good bomb from the point?  For Vancouver though, someone who brings a safe puck-moving element would be great to add to the bottom pair (Stecher's good for his role but someone who's bigger but also mobile would be great to add).  

Edited by Phil_314

our forwards are pretty set for next year at least 

I’m not worried about losing markstrom Demko paired with talbot, halak or another veteran backup will come cheaper and still be effective

our main focus is D. I just want a guy to chip the puck out with nothing fancy just simple hockey to calm things down. 

demelo on the 3rd pair would be Ideal. If he is what I think he is 

• Like 1

I think we are set at goal with Demko. Markstrom as well if he doesn't cost to much but we cant get locked into a goalie longterm/ for to much money. Golaies are just far to inconsistent.

Forwards are good

On defense I think its time to give Rafferty a shot, but hopefully resign Tanev.

Tryamkin is the big piece Im hoping we can add to the backend next year. Pun intended

• Upvote 1

Brenden Dillon and Joel Edmundson are both UFAs. Both quality big top 6 D that aren't afraid to throw the body, protect the net and stand up for teammates. Wouldn't mind either of them. They'd be good stable partners for whichever young guy we bring in. I imagine Rafferty being the 7th D and a pairing of Dillon/Edmundson-Tryamkin in the top 6, people wouldn't go near the net.

At forward we're pretty set but if we're able to move some bodies Tyler Pitlick, Kyle Clifford or Zemgus Girgensons would be upgrades on Eriksson/Roussel/Sutter. I can't imagine any of them being too expensive in Free Agency but we'd need to move out bodies first. All of those guys bring a physical edge on top of being able to be used in a checking role whereas Eriksson and Sutter are both strictly defense guys and Roussel isn't a role player.

• Cheers 1

Mikael Granlund, Erik Haula and Alex Tuch. All guys that are having a little bit down of a season so cost might be affordable. Granlund and Haula being free agents this coming offseason. If Benning can’t sign Toffoli I could see any of these guys being capable of putting up 50+ points on a line with Horvat.

41 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

That said I am interested in seeing what Jassek will become 

hows he on faceoffs our prospect depth on farm needs replenishing will jassek be able to be a 4th line center for us pk and faceoffs  we need a elite faceoff guy to replace beagle when hes gone 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

we might have the solution to both of these in-house. Tryamkin, Juolevi, Rafferty all might be able to play next season. 

On Fs, I think we'll see McEwan stay up and Loui sit or waive to Utica  (assuming no compliance buyout). 

We have too many bottom 6 forwards right now. But if we could clear some of those guys out I would be looking at someone like Nick Shore who would be a good 4C to replace Sutter or Beagle at a quarter of the cap cost. Great faceoff guy, defensive forward. Cheap and reliable.

None at this point... if we can exit a few bodies then we can talk.

Right now on defence is there anyone cheap available that will be better than giving Rafferty and Tryamkin a shot from internally?

On forward we just don't have any spots at all.  We have Sutter as a depth forward right now, and a guy like MacEwan ready for a spot that we don't have... and may even have a couple young guys pushing for spots next training camps like Hoglander and Lind.