The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Tyson set to make comeback against Roy Jones Jr.

cuporbust

Uhhhh holy crap. Only Mike Tyson could look this good at 53. Absolutely unreal.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/704431/mike-tyson-fight-unstoppable-war/

George Forman s take 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/boxing-news-george-foreman-makes-a-huge-claim-about-mike-tyson-ahead-of-his-boxing-return/

Edit: looks like he found an opponent . Good Lord. 

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/23/mike-tyson-fighting-roy-jones-jr-boxing-comeback-exhibition-triller/

20200723_185700.jpg

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

man

smacks of a bit of desperation

age is undefeated

his recovery during breaks between rounds

will lag far behind every other younger opponent he may face

he simply is not as strong and nimble as younger fighters

his fights will need to be short or he will not survive them

and everyone will know this

but i guess there is entertainment value in seeing him box again

i mean, the rocky films did pretty well

I like Mike...  Oh maybe that’s the wrong Mike...

I like both Mike’s.  I will watch him for sure.  Don’t even know who the contenders are in boxing right now.  Would Mike even be a heavyweight?  He looks like he’s probably 180-190 pounds max.  Mayweather is too small or else that could be a fight worth watching. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I heard he was doing it to raise money for something.

Ya. Forman had some interesting things to say about that.

Dazzled by Tyson’s blistering speed and pad-work, he claims that there is a strong chance that Tyson may not stop at exhibition matches.

Foreman strongly believes that Mike Tyson has what it takes to hold his own against the heavyweight fighters of this era. However, the youngest heavyweight champion must commit to his training.

“I was so happy. He looked like he had turned the clock back at least 20 years. He was looking fit and those punches were coming sharp. If he’s able to go into the woods and dedicate himself to that for about 10 months, he could come back and really be a top contender,” said Foreman to iFL TV.

Forman at least doesnt think Tyson just wants an exhibition fight...

"That’s what they do, that’s the way it happens. I called Dick Sadler, my original trainer back in the 1960s, I’d just won a gold medal, I said I just want to do exhibitions, that’s all, and learn more about boxing. Next thing you know I’m in with the heavyweight champion of the world,” said Foreman.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

man

smacks of a bit of desperation

age is undefeated

his recovery during breaks between rounds

will lag far behind every other younger opponent he may face

he simply is not as strong and nimble as younger fighters

his fights will need to be short or he will not survive them

and everyone will know this

but i guess there is entertainment value in seeing him box again

i mean, the rocky films did pretty well

Ya , well nobody though he still had speed either. He probably doent have the stamina as he would have had in his 20's, but he also didn't need much more then 2 rounds with those skills in his 20's. Even a 75% Tyson has a good chance of knocking these young kids out inside 3.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ya. Forman had some interesting things to say about that.

Dazzled by Tyson’s blistering speed and pad-work, he claims that there is a strong chance that Tyson may not stop at exhibition matches.

Foreman strongly believes that Mike Tyson has what it takes to hold his own against the heavyweight fighters of this era. However, the youngest heavyweight champion must commit to his training.

“I was so happy. He looked like he had turned the clock back at least 20 years. He was looking fit and those punches were coming sharp. If he’s able to go into the woods and dedicate himself to that for about 10 months, he could come back and really be a top contender,” said Foreman to iFL TV.

I mean if he's fully healthy and committed it would be a huge draw. Very few individuals in their 50s could compete.

They should definitely do shorter rounds for him. Health and safety should be priority going in for him and especially for someone of his profile.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Mike...  Oh maybe that’s the wrong Mike...

I like both Mike’s.  I will watch him for sure.  Don’t even know who the contenders are in boxing right now.  Would Mike even be a heavyweight?  He looks like he’s probably 180-190 pounds max.  Mayweather is too small or else that could be a fight worth watching. 

Anyone Tyson Jordan Jackson action