The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

Can't deny that Vrbata has high hockey IQ, but pity he doesn't have any heart and plays with fear in his eyes when the playoffs roll around.

Or had an injury. But yeah, let's just assume he doesn't care about the game he's dedicated the last ~30 years of his life to.

Check out his playoff history. Come back and say something a little more intelligent after you do that.

You know when really dumb people get mad at smart people and claim they're dumb, but it's just that common sense flies right over their heads?

No...I guess you wouldn't know.

Vrbata's playoff history is with an often-mediocre, defensive Phoenix team. There's a reason he had his best season in forever with the Canucks despite being another year older.

I would love to see Grenier crushing on the 3rd line...probably a scary idea for WD lol seeing as how reticent he was of Bo.

What does this have to do with Vrbata? Please try to stay on topic ;)

You know when really dumb people get mad at smart people and claim they're dumb, but it's just that common sense flies right over their heads?

Vrbata's playoff history is with an often-mediocre, defensive Phoenix team. There's a reason he had his best season in forever with the Canucks despite being another year older.

Right. Because you are such a smart and brilliant fella.

Now riddle me this bright boy, how is it that Vrbata's production drops by >30% once the playoffs roll around? Oh right, it's because of the offensively challenged Coyotes club.

Right-o

Vrbata's record is:

regular season.....871 games 246 goals 281 assists 527 points 0.605 ppg

playoffs..................42 games 8 goals 10 assists 18 points 0.43 ppg

there's a much smaller sample size for playoff games but 30 is significant so the difference is material

I saw Vrby get knocked a** over tea kettle by Bennett and land on his head. He wasn't the same after that. We all know that the going gets tougher in the play offs. Some guys just don't elevate the way that others do. I still like the guy.

What does this have to do with Grenier? I think the real debate here is who really deserves a shot. Grenier or Gaunce?

Right-o

Vrbata's record is:

there's a much smaller sample size for playoff games but 30 is significant so the difference is material

I saw Vrby get knocked a** over tea kettle by Bennett and land on his head. He wasn't the same after that. We all know that the going gets tougher in the play offs. Some guys just don't elevate the way that others do. I still like the guy.

What does this have to do with Grenier? I think the real debate here is who really deserves a shot. Grenier or Gaunce?

Grenier or Gaunce is such a tough call. Will probably go down to the wire @ training camp. Grenier seems to have favor at the moment but Gaunce is higher touted and possibly more well-rounded. I personally haven't seen much of either player.

Right-o

Vrbata's record is:

Grenier 100%. I like Gaunce, but Grenier is older and was a much more instrumental contributor last year. Another year in the AHL for Grenier is bad, for Gaunce it is good.

Grenier or Gaunce is such a tough call. Will probably go down to the wire @ training camp. Grenier seems to have favor at the moment but Gaunce is higher touted and possibly more well-rounded. I personally haven't seen much of either player.

Another year of AHL with a bigger role would do Guance a lot of good. I would like to see Grenier get a serious look as he is a little

older and had better ppg.

Another year of AHL with a bigger role would do Guance a lot of good. I would like to see Grenier get a serious look as he is a little

older and had better ppg.

I expect Gaunce to have a very good season in Utica this year. He is three years younger than Grenier and has just completed a comparible first season in the pros. I think he will surpass Grenier's #s next year and will be a more complete player.

If Grenier makes the parent team this season, watch for Gaunce stepping in at trade deadline or the following season.

There's another side to the choice between Grenier or Gaunce - what role will they play if they make it? Will Grenier get more top 9 opportunities (probably what will help him offensively) or will Gaunce be able to use his high IQ in a bottom 6 role? I think Gaunce will be able to use his IQ to find a role that works in the NHL, and with higher quality linemates could also improve there. Grenier I think may have more trouble translating his game into the faster, bigger NHL.

I didn't realize there was a 3 year gap in age between the two but I think Gaunce will only get better now that he's fully acclimated to the wing. Will be interesting to see how they do in the preseason

Archived