The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Etem had a decent game against Calgary but he has not shown enough to have a job locked up. IMHO he has to show more during the last 30 games. Otherwise he will be in a dog fight for a spot next fall.

Agreed, he's not playing bad, but he looks out of shape on the back check, or injured slightly. Actually reminded me of Kessel on one play legs were moving, but everyone was pulling away from him. Grenier, will not give up, that's what Green has instilled in him, and that's why I could see him on the team next year. Also has plus hands for a 6'5 guy

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well we better make room because I don't want to lose him to waivers. I think he'd be good in the bottom 6 next year.

Yes, there was discussion earlier this year about when Grenier becomes wavier eligible. The answer is next year.

Even so, I think he is a longshot to make the Canucks out of camp next year. In the large group of players who are put on waivers as teams get down to the roster limit at the beginning of the season, I think he gets through waivers, as Vey did this year. Of course, Corrado did not make it through it through waivers this year so there are no guarantees.

Guance, Shinkaruk, and Zalewski will all be contending for spots next year. Maybe Kenins will also, as will Vey and Etem. And Virtanen and McCann will be back, so there will be lots of competition for bottom six forward spots. Right now the Canucks have a lot of guys who are tweeners -- very good AHL players but kind of marginal NHL players. (And I am not counting the vets like Higgins, Cracknell and Prust). And we have to expect Benning to pick up someone either in trade or as a UFA between now and next season.

edit: I should have mentioned that Dorsett is the one rock-solid bottom 6 winger spot and Burrows may still be in the mix as well.

The other solid forward spots are the Sedins with Hansen or maybe Sutter as the first line and Horvat and Baertschi on the second line. 

So there are a lot of possibilities. I just hope that one or two of the tweener guys really elevate their games and become legitimate NHL players (the kind who can contribute effectively to a good team) in the near future. We all had hopes for Grenier after the progress he made last year but his progress seems to have stalled this year. 

23 hours ago, elvis15 said:

McCann to Utica and Burrows bought out? We know Higgins will likely be bought out if we can't trade him and we'll lose some UFAs (Prust, Cracknell) but I think we could still end up with Burrows in that 4LW spot and McCann will certainly challenge.

Otherwise agree that I'd like to see the reunited Tigers line to see what they can do. Grenier can fill in there when he does play (or elsewhere for injuries) since he has familiarity with Shink and maybe a bit with Vey from Utica.

I doubt they buy out Higgins. It only saves them about $800k vs having him in Utica actually playing, mentoring and providing depth. It also costs them about $700k the following year. Those are dubious 'benefits' to have a guy not even play for you. He either gets moved or he's in Utica IMO. 

I think that 3rd LW / shared C duties with Vey spot is between Shink and McCann but I'm thinking McCann can benefit more from an extra year of training, getting stronger and playing against men in the A. Well see next fall though. He could have a killer summer and be ahead of Shink too.

I just don't see room for Burr sadly. Especially not as a $4.5m 4th liner/13th forward. Even more so if we manage to snag an Okposo or similar guy. No room at the inn. 

HF Ranking Spring 2016

10. (11) Alexandre Grenier, RW, 6.5C
Drafted 3rd round, 90th overall, 2011

Alexandre Grenier remains a valuable member of the Utica Comets but his value to the Canucks may be dwindling. Grenier was given a brief call-up to the Canucks early in the season but didn’t make a huge impression in his NHL debut. Grenier will play his 200th AHL game later this season so he is definitely seasoned and should be as ready as he will ever be to make the jump to the NHL next season. At worst Grenier should receive another one-year contract this summer and a chance to fight for a job in Vancouver. His massive frame and aggressive style make him a good option for a bottom-six role.

8 hours ago, Derp... said:

HF Ranking Spring 2016

10. (11) Alexandre Grenier, RW, 6.5C
Drafted 3rd round, 90th overall, 2011

Alexandre Grenier remains a valuable member of the Utica Comets but his value to the Canucks may be dwindling. Grenier was given a brief call-up to the Canucks early in the season but didn’t make a huge impression in his NHL debut. Grenier will play his 200th AHL game later this season so he is definitely seasoned and should be as ready as he will ever be to make the jump to the NHL next season. At worst Grenier should receive another one-year contract this summer and a chance to fight for a job in Vancouver. His massive frame and aggressive style make him a good option for a bottom-six role.

IMO he did not show enough of the physical edge when he was with the Canucks. He almost has to go overboard to get that recognition.

On 21/02/2016 at 9:56 AM, J.R. said:

I doubt they buy out Higgins. It only saves them about $800k vs having him in Utica actually playing, mentoring and providing depth. It also costs them about $700k the following year. Those are dubious 'benefits' to have a guy not even play for you. He either gets moved or he's in Utica IMO. 

I think that 3rd LW / shared C duties with Vey spot is between Shink and McCann but I'm thinking McCann can benefit more from an extra year of training, getting stronger and playing against men in the A. Well see next fall though. He could have a killer summer and be ahead of Shink too.

I just don't see room for Burr sadly. Especially not as a $4.5m 4th liner/13th forward. Even more so if we manage to snag an Okposo or similar guy. No room at the inn. 

That assumes he'd accept playing the year in Utica versus us freeing him up and allowing him a shot at another NHL contract. My guess is they'd do it just so they don't hold him back from another chance at the NHL.

But lots of question marks on the roster and where Grenier fits in for all of it next year. Benning has been no stranger to dealing a pick for a soon to be (or already) waiver eligible player to try and improve our prospect pool. At some point you'd think he'd also realize we have too many of those types of players and not want to keep risking sending them down (as we did with Vey and Corrado to start this year) so I wonder if we'll see some trade that include the odd fringe prospect like Grenier to help move a player like Higgins - or why we didn't see it to help facilitate a deadline deal.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMO he did not show enough of the physical edge when he was with the Canucks. He almost has to go overboard to get that recognition.

I fail to see how that differs from 80% of the other Canucks out on the ice. I think he had a decent game in the 10 minutes Willy played him, 4 shots on goal, one came oh so close to going in... Also seen him back check pretty hard a couple time, that has been his biggest down fall in getting to the NHL, defensive awareness.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

That assumes he'd accept playing the year in Utica versus us freeing him up and allowing him a shot at another NHL contract. My guess is they'd do it just so they don't hold him back from another chance at the NHL.

But lots of question marks on the roster and where Grenier fits in for all of it next year. Benning has been no stranger to dealing a pick for a soon to be (or already) waiver eligible player to try and improve our prospect pool. At some point you'd think he'd also realize we have too many of those types of players and not want to keep risking sending them down (as we did with Vey and Corrado to start this year) so I wonder if we'll see some trade that include the odd fringe prospect like Grenier to help move a player like Higgins - or why we didn't see it to help facilitate a deadline deal.

Grenier is an RFA. He's 6'5" and could slide into a bottom six role if given the chance. He'll also be waiver eligble next year. I suspect that he'll be given another deal. Likely a one year. He'll get a shot at training camp. If he doesn't stick the landing, he'll be sent through waivers. At that point, I expect he'll be claimed. If not, he'll play another season in Utica and be called up when needed. I know the Canucks have a recent history of bad asset management... but I don't suspect they'll let him walk for nothing unless it's through a waiver claim. I don't see how he isn't re-signed. The "older" prospect who may not be re-signed is likely Alex Friesen.

Grenier seems like he has found his scoring touch lately also. Wasn't that long ago he had been stuck at 8 goals for awhile...after tonight he is up to 11, and I think 2nd on the club in scoring, despite the scoring drought.

If he continues to be defensively responsible, I too could see him in a 4th line role next year with Vancouver.

The bottom 6 next year looks like it will consist of 6 of the following;

Granlund, Virtanen, Rodin, Sutter, Dorsett, Gaunce, Vey, Etem, Grenier, Kenins, Burrows, and Hansen... 

I think the only two players who will be competing for the 4th line Right wing position will be Dorsett and Grenier, it's Dorsetts to lose so we shall see how things play out during pre-season, competing for the 4th line left wing postion would be all three of Gaunce, Kenins and Burrows, being Burrows's to lose also...

Just now, 草 Kusa 草 said:

The bottom 6 next year looks like it will consist of 6 of the following;

Granlund, Virtanen, Rodin, Sutter, Dorsett, Gaunce, Vey, Etem, Grenier, Kenins, Burrows, and Hansen... 

I think the only two players who will be competing for the 4th line Right wing position will be Dorsett and Grenier, it's Dorsetts to lose so we shall see how things play out during pre-season, competing for the 4th line left wing postion would be all three of Gaunce, Kenins and Burrows, being Burrows's to lose also...

Virtanen and Hansen (Sutter might be the RW on the twins line) will most likely be top 6

Get rid of Burrows 

You can run

Etem-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

Vey, Grenier

Kenins is play extremely well in the AHL lately we might see him sometime in March

On 3/6/2016 at 5:16 PM, Gstank29 said:

Virtanen and Hansen (Sutter might be the RW on the twins line) will most likely be top 6

Get rid of Burrows 

You can run

Etem-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

Vey, Grenier

Kenins is play extremely well in the AHL lately we might see him sometime in March

I think Bennings intentions with Granlund are on the left wing, especially since he traded a left wing in Shinkaruk, (that's just my opinion though, who knows)Also, is Etem best on the left or right, gstanky?

Archived