The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Yes that’s why they sell commercials for millions upon millions and play before packed stadiums week after week .... guess lots of idiots like fluff? 

expand your horizons pal, more sports in this world than hockey 

I think it's because the NFL knows they are the biggest thing in sports. I've said it before, Rugby is a better sport with less stoppages. It's the many breaks that make it television friendly, so they can jam tons of commercials in. Rugby is a team game. Football the QB, receivers, sometimes RB's get all the glory. But it's the linemen that games are won and lost. Football has insane levels of hype. And Americans eat it up. 

Maybe not everyone thinks the same way. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Yes that’s why they sell commercials for millions upon millions and play before packed stadiums week after week .... guess lots of idiots like fluff? 

Yah, and NIckelback sold millions... and Big Macs sell billions....

Develop some finer tastes PAL , the best things in life can be learned..

PS - rugby is about 100 times more entertaining to watch than an NFL game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I don't agree with the hot take from the OP... but you really can't overestimate the love of fluff by the general public. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Here we go Niners 

Here we go. 
Here we go Niners

bang bang Niners gang. 

(for no other reason than to see Seahawks fans rage)

Smd

Kyle Shanahan and blowing super bowls. Name a better combo. He will never win a Bowl

I made over a grand tonight. 

Edited by ReggieBush

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I like hockey much more but I have to admit football is generally more exciting. Every single play matters. I'm excited when the offence is on the field. I'm excited when our defence is on the field. And I'm a jets fan. I shouldn't be excited about anything lol.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Wow - I feel sorry for 49's fans - at least 4 missed calls on KC that game.

The 49's did not close because of poor ref calls.   They blew it themselves when they allowed the Chiefs to score 3 touchdowns in the last 6 minutes of the game.

The 49's had Mahomes in control for most of the game but their defence fell apart late in the games as the Chiefs gain momentum.  Much of it is due to Mahomes who was voted MVP of the game.  Earlier I predicted KC will win because  they had the superior QB in Mahomes.

As for SF for playing conservative as some people say here , they did have the lead 20-10, then 20-17;  conventional wisdom is ball control.  The problem is not conservative play calling but failure to convert first downs during the last few minutes when they were ahead.

And when SF got the ball back after KC went ahead, 24-20, they failed to move it beyond the 50 yard line.  Jimmy G. is certainly not a Joe Montana or Tom Brady.  Those guys would have move down the field to win the game.

Edited by DonLever
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DonLever said:

The 49's did not close because of poor ref calls.   They blew it themselves when they allowed the Chiefs to score 3 touchdowns in the last 6 minutes of the game.

The 49's had Mahomes in control for most of the game but their defence fell apart late in the games as the Chiefs gain momentum.  Much of it is due to Mahomes who was voted MVP of the game.  Earlier I predicted KC will win because  they had the superior QB in Mahomes.

As for SF for playing conservative as some people say here , they did have the lead 20-10, then 20-17;  conventional wisdom is ball control.  The problem is not conservative play calling but failure to convert first downs during the last few minutes when they were ahead.

And when SF got the ball back after KC went ahead, 24-20, they failed to move it beyond the 50 yard line.  Jimmy G. is certainly not a Joe Montana or Tom Brady.  Those guys would have move down the field to win the game.

I agree with your analysis of the game. Its disappointing to see a great defense lose, especially one with all that talent. Jimmy G could not convert but he is also a QB who just played in his first full NFL season, coming off a serious injury last year. Time will tell with Jimmy G but imo there is some upside there. 

As far as the criticism of Jimmy G goes, I thought he threw the ball better than expected.....but....when you run the ball 75% of the time, there is bound to be some rust on the arm and it cost the Niners big time on that late deep ball, where he overthrew an open receiver by 10 yards.

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As far as the criticism of Jimmy G goes, I thought he threw the ball better than expected.....but....when you run the ball 75% of the time, there is bound to be some rust on the arm and it cost the Niners big time on that late deep ball, where he overthrew an open receiver by 10 yards.

Also doesn’t help that Shanahan kept stopping the clock by trying to throw the ball. Another case of a young coach not trusting in what got him to that moment in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Also doesn’t help that Shanahan kept stopping the clock by trying to throw the ball. Another case of a young coach not trusting in what got him to that moment in the first place. 

Jimmy G has the look (he just won some post Super Bowl ESPN pole as being better looking than Brady) of a QB, but has the arm of a middle reliever.  Can’t stand that ex Seattle corner, who plays for the Niners, so really REALLY glad they didn’t win.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jimmy G has the look (he just won some post Super Bowl ESPN pole as being better looking than Brady) of a QB, but has the arm of a middle reliever.  Can’t stand that ex Seattle corner, who plays for the Niners, so really REALLY glad they didn’t win.  

Richard Sherman was a great corner, but Watkins really exposed him yesterday. He's definitely lost a step or two...

...so much so that Troy Aikman felt compelled to mention it every single time he was in single coverage on a Chiefs receiver....

• Cheers 1

Didn't watch a second of it.  Woke up at 5:30am to play football, got home in time to catch the 3rd period of the Nucks game then passed out after the sauna.  Sounds like it was a good game, how was Shakira?!?!? Hehe.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Richard Sherman was a great corner, but Watkins really exposed him yesterday. He's definitely lost a step or two...

...so much so that Troy Aikman felt compelled to mention it every single time he was in single coverage on a Chiefs receiver....

probably because of the twitter feud with revis the past 2 weeks

14 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I like to take this opportunity to thank Ryan Pace for giving up 4 picks to move 1 spot down and draft Trubisky.

What an idiot that Ryan Pace is.   All the Kansas City Chiefs fans thank Mr Pace for drafting Trubisky overall no. 2, leaving Mahomes for them.    So what did Mahomes do in 2nd year, win the Super Bowl, get MVP of game.  Mr Trubisky?  Did not make playoffs.   Also nod to Mr  Nagy, coach of Chicago, does he know how to handle Trubisky?   Did decision to sit him out entire pre-season help, considering his lack of experience both in NFL and college where he played only one full year, help his progress?

54 minutes ago, DonLever said:

What an idiot that Ryan Pace is.   All the Kansas City Chiefs fans thank Mr Pace for drafting Trubisky overall no. 2, leaving Mahomes for them.    So what did Mahomes do in 2nd year, win the Super Bowl, get MVP of game.  Mr Trubisky?  Did not make playoffs.   Also nod to Mr  Nagy, coach of Chicago, does he know how to handle Trubisky?   Did decision to sit him out entire pre-season help, considering his lack of experience both in NFL and college where he played only one full year, help his progress?

Please, don't get me started on the Bears organization. I just want to know why would they pass on Watson who was a 4 year starter and won a championship in college? On paper he was the best qb in that draft but instead we went with 1 year starter from lesser school.