The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Gatorade showers during week 3 #weak

Head Coach of Eagles for 14 seasons, comes back in to Philly and wins in his first game back.

Gets a team who posted a 2-14 record the previous year, their third win by week three.

Not a weak Gatorade bath. Much deserved. They wont do that every week, but this one was special.

So....Andy Reid is the answer in KC all this time???

As a die hard Chiefs fan, I sure hope so. I was hesitant as Alex Smith as the team's QB, I was never a fan of him in SF. I got to say tho, he has impressed me. He may be conservative, but the team does have explosiveness to make up for it. I would like to see KC get some wide receiver help, Avery did look good tonight but they don't really have anyone other than him and Bowe. The tight end injuries are hurting them tho, McGrath showed up nicely. They will look much better on offence when they have Anthony Fasano and Travis Kelce healthy.

Edited by SOB for MVP

Honestly guys, this high tempo offence is new to the NFL and its probably going to take a few games to get use to it.

It works wonders in Oregon and even Texas A&M to an extent so I don't really understand why it wouldn't work in the NFL.

Just give it time, I'm sure they will start to cash in.

It's not new. Brady and Manning have been running no huddle up tempo for years. The difference between them and Kelly is that they're smart enough to know when to slow it down and when to speed it up. Both Brady and Manning will go 4 plays in a row no huddle quick snaps and then when there's a personnel mismatch, they'll line up but call audibles at the line to expose the match ups and all of a sudden there's a touchdown scored because a run stopping line backer was covering a speedy receiver.

I watched Kelly try to run that blur offense last night and it was a joke. He doesn't do it to try and get mismatch matchups, he just wants to run as many plays as possible. Now, I don't know how he ran it at Oregon, but if he doesn't start using his brain soon and slow down the game when it needs to be, it's going to be a long season for this eagles team.

• Upvote 1

So....Andy Reid is the answer in KC all this time???

Actually I think this more shows how much of a idiot Tood Hayley is. Andy Reid is a great coach, no question, but how many pro bowlers are on this team from last year? And all they could muster was 2wins. I heard during the Steelers game last week that Haley and Rothlisburger(sp?) are clashing.

It's not new. Brady and Manning have been running no huddle up tempo for years. The difference between them and Kelly is that they're smart enough to know when to slow it down and when to speed it up. Both Brady and Manning will go 4 plays in a row no huddle quick snaps and then when there's a personnel mismatch, they'll line up but call audibles at the line to expose the match ups and all of a sudden there's a touchdown scored because a run stopping line backer was covering a speedy receiver.

I watched Kelly try to run that blur offense last night and it was a joke. He doesn't do it to try and get mismatch matchups, he just wants to run as many plays as possible. Now, I don't know how he ran it at Oregon, but if he doesn't start using his brain soon and slow down the game when it needs to be, it's going to be a long season for this eagles team.

Amen.

Green Bay, Denver, and New England are examples of how an up tempo offense should be run in the NFL. You go up tempo when you realize there is a personnel mismatch you want to exploit, but you do not go up tempo for the sake of being up tempo.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

I think the biggest problem with Chip's up-tempo offense is much like you mentioned they are always doing it just for the sake of doing it. Yes thats great and all but in the end all it does is hurry up your offense and get them off the feild faster. You look at these last two games and when teams game plan for this, they have a huge advantage in possesion time. Do you think its good to leave your defense on the feild that long? Do you not think that d-line is just going to be exhausted by the end of the first half. Especially when you get offense that makes their calls at the line of scrimage, they can take their time still call the autibles they need and keeps the defense stuck on the feild. Thats what makes me skeptical about it anyways

Sure glad I don't have Dwayne Bowe in my fantasy league.

I started him last night, geez. I really dislike Alex Smith, I actually question whether he needs glasses or something because it seems all he ever does is throw to people on a check down route or a shallow crossing route. Maybe his eyesight is just blury 10 yards down the feild?

Watch the Oregon ducks and tell me if Brady runs that.

It's kind of a revolutionary offence and style, 14 sec between plays is insane, Your hero Tom or Paton can't touch that.

If you have ever watched a ducks game you would see how intimidating this is, they walk down, score on the opening drive, score a 2 point convert, onside kick, score another touchdown all in 3 mins.

It's going to be hard to get older guys to buy into that but if they do, Chip Kelly's offence is pretty amazing.

Edited by Cyril Sneer

It's kind of a revolutionary offence and style, 14 sec between plays is insane, Your hero Tom or Paton can't touch that.

If you have ever watched a ducks game you would see how intimidating this is, they walk down, score on the opening drive, score a 2 point convert, onside kick, score another touchdown all in 3 mins.

It's going to be hard to get older guys to buy into that but if they do, Chip Kelly's offence is pretty amazing.

That was fast!

Brady is hurry up, that is, he gets the team to the line fast, but then calls audibles - the other team can't change or anything just in case they do snap the ball quickly.

Go PATS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started him last night, geez. I really dislike Alex Smith, I actually question whether he needs glasses or something because it seems all he ever does is throw to people on a check down route or a shallow crossing route. Maybe his eyesight is just blury 10 yards down the feild?

That's just the type of qb he is. If you listen to the broadcast they were constantly talking about how he never throws the ball into coverage to prevent turnovers. If you throw the ball 20-30 yards deep there is usually some sort of coverage there so he just checks it down for short yard gains. Boring, but it's worked pretty well for him the last few years.

You're comparing college, where people play both sides of the ball regularly and engage in experimental plays often, to the pro's.

There's no doubt for the reasons college is more exciting to watch than the pros but the odds of working that kind of offense and the risk taking there isn't plausible for a professional league team.

You're comparing college, where people play both sides of the ball regularly and engage in experimental plays often, to the pro's.

There's no doubt for the reasons college is more exciting to watch than the pros but the odds of working that kind of offense and the risk taking there isn't plausible for a professional league team.

That is the way everyone reacts to new ideas if they don't work immediately.

Give it a season

Aldon Smith got arrested for another DUI today. Apparently he had some weed on him too. Comsidering the stabbing incident at his party and all the other stuff he's done lately me thinks he'll be looking at a little time off for this one. It's like Von Miller 2.0. What the hell are these guys thinking anyway?

Edit: oops should have said shooting incident, who uses knives now anyway?

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Aldon Smith got arrested for another DUI today. Apparently he had some weed on him too. Comsidering the stabbing incident at his party and all the other stuff he's done lately me thinks he'll be looking at a little time off for this one. It's like Von Miller 2.0. What the hell are these guys thinking anyway?

Edit: oops should have said shooting incident, who uses knives now anyway?

Someone sure was bummed over losing to the Seahawks.

Hard to compare college football to the professional's considering in professional football every player on defense fought their a*s off to earn their roster spot, and are as I said, professional's.

in 2010 when the Ducks went to the National Title game, they averaged 50 points a game. Yeah, cool. But the lowest ranked team they played was Stanford at #9 (they did put 51pts up against them so kudos). But the only other ranked teams they played were #24 and #21. Every other team was ranked above 25. When they finally played another team with a defensive roster full of players wanting to play professional football, they were held to 19 points by Auburn in the national title game.

Same thing is happening to Kelly in the NFL. He hasn't realized yet that he's playing against professional athletes, and against defensive co-ordinators who have been doing their jobs for decades.

Hard to compare college football to the professional's considering in professional football every player on defense fought their a*s off to earn their roster spot, and are as I said, professional's.

in 2010 when the Ducks went to the National Title game, they averaged 50 points a game. Yeah, cool. But the lowest ranked team they played was Stanford at #9 (they did put 51pts up against them so kudos). But the only other ranked teams they played were #24 and #21. Every other team was ranked above 25. When they finally played another team with a defensive roster full of players wanting to play professional football, they were held to 19 points by Auburn in the national title game.

Same thing is happening to Kelly in the NFL. He hasn't realized yet that he's playing against professional athletes, and against defensive co-ordinators who have been doing their jobs for decades.

The Oregan offence has come along way since the national championship, it gets better and better every year, they are drafting players to fit the mold, they are creating a culture just like they do in Alabama on defence.

It may take 3-5 years to see that offence work the NFL, do the Eagles ownership have that patience? I doubt it.

And this NFL/ NCAA comparison doesn't hold much merit with me.

Yes you have more talented players on defense

But you also have more talented players on offence.

And as far as coordinators, the big college teams pay their staff comparable to the NFL, they have too. And I would almost say most college coordinators have more control and structure over their players.

The Oregan offence isn't just a play book its a culture and just because it isn't working 3 games into the season doesn't mean it's never going to work.