The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

This is the End - 2/10

Awful. My laptop battery died right at the climactic scene and now I can't be bothered to see how it ends. Total mess of a movie.

Of you're ranking it 2/10 you shouldn't be watching these types of movies and you should know not to.

I rented it Tonohkt and it was quite funny

Yeah well my crystal ball also ran out of batteries.

Seriously not so serious though, I remember seeing the poster for Hot Tub Time Machine a few years back before it came out and turning to my friend and saying "Look at that piece of sh!t! Looks terrible." Wound up being one of the best movies of the year.

Retardo comedies have a section of my heart, always will, but This is the End was a true mess, and not the hot kind.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I compare it to other films in its genre, and I found it far superior to the majority of space films, which tend to get a lot wrong.

It's just the little things. For example, most films make it seem like anyone can work on a space ship/shuttle, everything is so easy. However, Cauron made it seem like you actually have to know what you're doing when you're in space. Also,I loved how, unlike every other space film ever done, Cauron insisted that there was no sound at all in space, which really racked up the tension.

As for Bullock, this was the first film since Demolition Man that I liked her in.

Cuaron did a good job at reminding us that there is no sound in space, but unfortunately he filled that dead air with Bullock's cringeworthy monologues

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean about the space/difficulty thing though? I mean I agree it made spaceships seem complex, but it also made Bullock's character look like she had absolutely no idea what she was doing. She didn't seem physically or emotionally fit enough to be up there in the first place, she didn't even seem properly trained, and she spent half the movie guessing at what to do next, riding dumb luck and eenie meenie miney moes through the galaxy, as everything that can go wrong, does.

I understand that the point of the movie was "the experience," and sometimes to have that great movie-going experience you have to forego things like strong characters, good dialogue, etc. And don't get me wrong, I loved-loved-loved the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. I thought the atmosphere was fantastic, but after that? Solo Bullock? That silly, half-baked, Space Odyssey-lite birth/re-birth metaphor? All of those explosions, fires, collisions, knotted strings, fire extinguishers, violent oceans? Too much. Took me out of the wonderful setup. It went from being subtle and atmospheric to totally artless and in-your-face.

I also watched Repulsion yesterday. Not as good as some other early 'horror' (or psychological thriller movies), but I still thought it was really good.

7.5-8ish/10

Out of curiosity what are some of your favorite 60s/70s/80s horror/thriller movies? I'm always looking for some more gems.

Have you seen Possession (1981)? It's surrealist to the point of being completely batcrap, but it's also fantastic. It's like if Repulsion was dialed up to 11.

As for gravity I absolutely agree that Bullock's backstory was garbage and the birth/rebirth imagery was way too on the nose, but it was still the most fun I've had at the movies since maybe The Dark Knight. Everytime the crap started to hit the fan I was completely engrossed.

Watched 42 on the weekend. The two main characters are very well acted and the movie is certainly interesting from a historical/racism aspect (albeit uncomfortable too watch at times...even in this surely toned down version). Well acted, written, presented (audio, video and cinematography) and good subject matter...8/10.

If anything, the only reason I feel I can't rate it higher is that it feels like we've seen this movie before. I guess there's been so many sports and/or fighting against bigotry etc movies that it just felt... already done. There's nothing ground breaking here. For such a groundbreaking moment in history/sports, that disappoints me a bit.

Edited by J.R.

Grown Ups 2 - 0/10

This is my first ever 0, I actually think this movie may be the worst film ever made. The first one had some good moments and was a decent family comedy. This one was just another Sandler-letseeificangeteveryoneIhaveeverputintoamovieintothismovie-Film. Seriously, the entire gang was thrown into this movie just for senseless stupid jokes. Nick Swardson needs to go away, seriously, anywhere...

There was 1 joke I thought was funny, it revolved around shaq (who plays a bald police officer) and missed free throws... Other than that... it was a complete trainwreck of a movie, complete with a 100+ person gang fight. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Stay away from this turd of a film at all costs.

I'm surprised, after all these years, that people need to be told to stay away from Adam Sandler movies. Isn't it common knowledge?

It should be...but I have to admit that Happy Gilmour sucked me into watching a couple of others.I have now learned my lesson...

It should be...but I have to admit that Happy Gilmour sucked me into watching a couple of others.I have now learned my lesson...

Isn't that always the case? "Wow, John Travolta was so good in Pulp Fiction, I have to see Broken Arrow now!" One good film can setup a plethora of terrible ones. Happy Gilmour, fun. Next few, terrible. Punch Drunk Love, terrific. Everything else, awful.

Edited by Monty

I'm surprised, after all these years, that people need to be told to stay away from Adam Sandler movies. Isn't it common knowledge?

I actually enjoyed that's my boy. That baseball scene and the vanilla ice partying scenes were priceless. Even going back a few years, you don't mess with the zohan and funny people were decent.

Grown ups and jack and Jill were dog sh!t though.

Edited by Tangelos