The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Personally I'm reserving judgement on Shinkaruk until next years AHL season. He wouldn't of even been AHL eligible if it wasn't for his late birthday, literally a difference of a month and a bit. I can think of a handful of guys who were a whole year younger than me and much bigger/stronger when I was 19/20. Add that to the fact he's not the strongest guy yet and ALSO he's coming off major shoulder surgery that held him to 18 games in junior last season and it's pretty impressive he's even been able to stick in the AHL.

Because of his birthday he gets a gimme year to learn the pro game instead of going back junior and being a big producer (which he maybe should've). I believe it's better for him to have this one year to learn how to be a pro and play an all-around game. His current stats aren't even that bad considering his circumstance. Look for a big jump in his stats next year.

Quality post. I was thrilled when we selected him and I'm still thrilled he's in our system. Can't believe people are writing him off or discounting his game already.

I'm gonna get on the non-mobile to give you a +1 for that.

People always like the shiny new toys and right now Baertschi is it. (I am guilty of that as well).

Good posts. I actually think Shink and Baerstchi have a lot in common.

I forget that Shink almost made the team in his draft year out of training camp. He showed a lot of hustle and skill. Him making the team would have been similar to Baertschi's 5 game stint in the NHL as a junior where he turned heads.

Perhaps we are doing the right thing with Shinkauruk by letting his game season in the AHL where he can develop good 2 way game while playing guys that are all pretty much older than him. If we were as bad as Calgary, maybe he would have already had a taste in the NHL by now..

We're not yo-yoing him back and forth like Flames did to Sven and this may be better for Shink in the long run.

I think we still need to give it a few more years to see how he will pan out.

If he was born a month and a half later he would not be eligible for the AHL just like Bo. I think that was the point of the birthday excuse. Hunter was born late 1994 so he was drafted in 2013 instead of 2012. However he was only six weeks away from a 1995 birthday which changes his eligibility

I don't want to nip pick but he was born on october 13th so that makes him 11 + weeks to be a 95' born.

All a late birthday does is push your draft year 1 year later, it doesn't change how many seasons you play in major junior

I don't want to nip pick but he was born on october 13th so that makes him 11 + weeks to be a 95' born.

All a late birthday does is push your draft year 1 year later, it doesn't change how many seasons you play in major junior

The point of his age is that if he was born a couple months younger he would not be eligible to play In the AHL and would have been forced to do another junior year. Compare to Bo from the same draft had to play in junior or NHL while Hunter had the third option of the AHL.

So when you look at his stats compared to other ahl rookies next year would be a more accurate comparison to his Peers.

People always like the shiny new toys and right now Baertschi is it. (I am guilty of that as well).

Good posts. I actually think Shink and Baerstchi have a lot in common.

I forget that Shink almost made the team in his draft year out of training camp. He showed a lot of hustle and skill. Him making the team would have been similar to Baertschi's 5 game stint in the NHL as a junior where he turned heads.

Perhaps we are doing the right thing with Shinkauruk by letting his game season in the AHL where he can develop good 2 way game while playing guys that are all pretty much older than him. If we were as bad as Calgary, maybe he would have already had a taste in the NHL by now..

We're not yo-yoing him back and forth like Flames did to Sven and this may be better for Shink in the long run.

I think we still need to give it a few more years to see how he will pan out.

Untrue, in nhl12 fantasy draft be a gm mode he has 5 star potential... I knew

Shinkaruk should be compared to other '94s because every year before their draft year they were organized by draft year not by a cutoff date in September. So guys like Radek Faksa, Brendan Gaunce, Mikhail Grigorenko, Scott Laughton, etc.

I know everyone wants to use the hip surgery excuse but if he doesn't get back to his ways within 3-4 months well than that's a whole other thing to be concerned about.

Shinkaruk should be compared to other '94s because every year before their draft year they were organized by draft year not by a cutoff date in September. So guys like Radek Faksa, Brendan Gaunce, Mikhail Grigorenko, Scott Laughton, etc.

I know everyone wants to use the hip surgery excuse but if he doesn't get back to his ways within 3-4 months well than that's a whole other thing to be concerned about.

What is 3 or 4 months based on?

I'm pretty sure everyone has said, judge him by his next season after a full summer of training. And that's what I'm gonna do.

The point of his age is that if he was born a couple months younger he would not be eligible to play In the AHL and would have been forced to do another junior year. Compare to Bo from the same draft had to play in junior or NHL while Hunter had the third option of the AHL.

So when you look at his stats compared to other ahl rookies next year would be a more accurate comparison to his Peers.

This:

My argument is that he's a 1994 born and he's played the same amount of hockey (yes he had a shortenend final WHL season) as another other 1994 born who was drafted in either 2012 or 2013.

There are many 1994 born players in the AHL who were drafted in 2013.

What is 3 or 4 months based on?

I'm pretty sure everyone has said, judge him by his next season after a full summer of training. And that's what I'm gonna do.

Why judge him on his next season? He's just making bad decisions out there on the ice and looks pretty bad to be honest. I don't think you can blame on he's playing right now on being injured. Yeah it's affecting his play but the way he's playing is not what I expected.

Why judge him on his next season? He's just making bad decisions out there on the ice and looks pretty bad to be honest. I don't think you can blame on he's playing right now on being injured. Yeah it's affecting his play but the way he's playing is not what I expected.

What does what you expected have to do with his development? You have no idea how he feels on the ice or how his recovery is affecting him. Why do people assume to have this grand insight on how a player is playing and the reasons why. How often do NHL players have an off season after going through major surgery? Why would a young player be any different?

Judge him next season, because then there will be zero doubt whether it was his injury and lack of training that threw him off. Until then you're just assuming to know things that you can't possibly know. His timing being off and looking lost could most certainly be a direct result of poor conditioning. So like with every prospect you have to wait and see.

What does what you expected have to do with his development? You have no idea how he feels on the ice or how his recovery is affecting him. Why do people assume to have this grand insight on how a player is playing and the reasons why. How often do NHL players have an off season after going through major surgery? Why would a young player be any different?

Judge him next season, because then there will be zero doubt whether it was his injury and lack of training that threw him off. Until then you're just assuming to know things that you can't possibly know. His timing being off and looking lost could most certainly be a direct result of poor conditioning. So like with every prospect you have to wait and see.

Well I mean it shouldn't take a guy a whole season to get back to his game. He was a really good player in junior, missed a whole season and some of the summer. That's tough, I gave him the whole season. It's okay for the first 3-4 months but I'm getting a little concerned that he hasn't looked much better since the start of the season.

Not a bust obviously but I have some concern about how he's doing.

Well I mean it shouldn't take a guy a whole season to get back to his game. He was a really good player in junior, missed a whole season and some of the summer. That's tough, I gave him the whole season. It's okay for the first 3-4 months but I'm getting a little concerned that he hasn't looked much better since the start of the season.

Not a bust obviously but I have some concern about how he's doing.

He missed a year and then went into the AHL from junior plus he is pretty young turning 20 in October. Next year is the year to watch with Shinkaruk, he will get a full off-season of training. If he has a similar year next year yea I would start to be a little concerned.

Guest Dasein

I don't think you can say anyone is wrong in having some concern over Hunter's development right now - there are legitimate reasons to be a little nervous despite it being his 1st pro season/him having missed a year of development

He will always be judged, like everyone else, on what he's doing now - and that does raise some concerns

Just because someone is concerned doesn't mean that they are labelling him a bust (although there are a few who do on CDC) - I think most who are concerned are genuinely just worried but still carry hope that he can bounce back next season because he is still young

It's getting ridiculous how much our top prospects in Utica are getting written off. When I look at the team's overall stats and Travis Green's comments, I really am circumspect to say that guy's like Shinkaruk, Jensen etc. are busts because they haven't been racking up points.

Nobody in Utica is even in the top 20, point scorers in the AHL. The closest is Cal O'Reilly at 22. Regardless, most of the top guys in Utica and the AHL that are piling up points seem to be lifelong AHL guys, or at least guys who have been there for at least 2 years, many of them going into their 3rd or 4th.

Besides, going by Travis Green's comments, it seems like he's more inclined to teach prospects how to play defence first. He barely gives any power play time to top prospects and his line combinations don't seem to give them a chance to play with each other and benefit of their talent. Instead they're stuck playing with guys who are never going to make it into the NHL, unless they're plugging due to injuries .

Archived