The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Baer is as good a passer and puck handler as we have in a prospect, but he is having trouble finding space and winning board battles. Shinkaruk is one of our best finishers, and does a decent job of winning board battles in the AHL, but may run into the same problem as Baer in the NHL. Does a great job of finding space though, similar to McCann in that sense.

McCann is arguably a better play maker than Baer, he just hasn't been given the quality line mates that can finish like Baer has. Shink on McCann's wing would be a way better fit than Baer imo.

6 goals in 6 games, and some have been gritty. He reminds me of a more skilled, less agitating Burrows. Gaunce is playing well right now but surely we have to see Shinkaruk get a call up at some point - he deserves it more than anyone in Utica. Maybe when Virtanen/McCann get sent back to junior we'll have a smooth transition of Shinkaruk into the lineup. I think he'd fit nicely with Burrows and Sutter until Higgins returns:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - McCann - Cracknell

With Jake in the presser, it seems. :o

McCann is arguably a better play maker than Baer, he just hasn't been given the quality line mates that can finish like Baer has. Shink on McCann's wing would be a way better fit than Baer imo.

McCann seems like more of a sniper.  For a C, he puts up limited #s of assists, whereas Baer usually has twice as many assists as goals.  Ideally, we will see Baer passing to McCann at some point.  He needs a sniper on his line (Vrbata wasn't sniping when he was on the line).

How long until Shink gets a chance and shows he is better than Baer? I don't know why, but of the 4 first rounders we had in 2013/2014, Shink was the one I was most excited about being a top flight scorer. Bo I think will end up our 2C for long while, Jake is a power forward and if he meets his potential, a top line power forward. McCann has surprised me and I think he has the better potential to be our 1C in the future.

Shink McCann Virtanen - Future first line of the Canucks.

How long until Shink gets a chance and shows he is better than Baer? I don't know why, but of the 4 first rounders we had in 2013/2014, Shink was the one I was most excited about being a top flight scorer. Bo I think will end up our 2C for long while, Jake is a power forward and if he meets his potential, a top line power forward. McCann has surprised me and I think he has the better potential to be our 1C in the future.

Shink McCann Virtanen - Future first line of the Canucks.

WUT, LOL

With Jake in the presser, it seems. :o

I hate to say it, but yes it does. Shinkaruk has looked like a dominant offensive force in Utica so far and I just feel as though we're wasting away his hot start and talents down there when he should be up with the big club helping us win and scoring NHL goals. He's clearly growing and got the knack for it now - he's gotten better every single year and a year in the NHL would do him better than a year in the AHL again.

Well from almost making the Canucks team the year prior to him posting 0.41 ppg in the AHL had most people in this forum concerned. Other than realizing he had hip surgery and turned pro all in the span of a year at 19-20 years old.

Well than that was their own short sighted silliness wasn't it? :P

I hate to say it, but yes it does. Shinkaruk has looked like a dominant offensive force in Utica so far and I just feel as though we're wasting away his hot start and talents down there when he should be up with the big club helping us win and scoring NHL goals. He's clearly growing and got the knack for it now - he's gotten better every single year and a year in the NHL would do him better than a year in the AHL again.

Still think that Shink needs to spend at least half this season in the AHL to get his swagger and confidence back up again. Dominating down there will only help him and we have a lot of winger depth as is.

I dono Baer's sauce is pretty sweet. When he get's some space he can make plays, but he is the inverse of Higgins right now all pass and no threat to shoot. He needs to be a little more elusive with what he's trying to do.

Archived