The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

I doubt we are deadline sellers. I highly doubt it.

sucks to be good. 

Calgary were deadline sellers who made the playoffs last year.  Admittedly they're not "good" but it does go to show that you can have it both ways up to a point.  Whether that's us this year is another question but Benning is on record as liking the 2016 draft ...

I doubt we are deadline sellers. I highly doubt it.

sucks to be good. 

Linden's already on record that they need to re-sign or get something for expiring UFA's given where we are as an organization. We're almost certainly moving Vrbata and given our depth on LD and the emergence of Hutton... bye Hammer.

Higgins services are also no longer required and depending on what we can get for Prust he may be gone as well...though honestly I wouldn't terribly mind re-signing him other than the blockage to prospects that he'd be.

Linden's already on record that they need to re-sign or get something for expiring UFA's given where we are as an organization. We're almost certainly moving Vrbata and given our depth on LD and the emergence of Hutton... bye Hammer.

Higgins services are also no longer required and depending on what we can get for Prust he may be gone as well...though honestly I wouldn't terribly mind re-signing him other than the blockage to prospects that he'd be.

My thoughts exactly

what can we get for these guys:

vrby?

hammer?

higgins?

prust?

If JB plays his cards right he can get at least a couple of low 1st round picks for Vrbata and Hamhuis. Can't get much for Higgins, Prust is a question mark from where I stand in terms of value. He's a great 4th liner to have but he's a UFA in the summer so teams probably aren't willing to pay much for him. I wouldn't mind if JB re-signs Prust anyways, the only downside to it is like J.R. said he'd be taking a spot away from the youth

If JB plays his cards right he can get at least a couple of low 1st round picks for Vrbata and Hamhuis. Can't get much for Higgins, Prust is a question mark from where I stand in terms of value. He's a great 4th liner to have but he's a UFA in the summer so teams probably aren't willing to pay much for him. I wouldn't mind if JB re-signs Prust anyways, the only downside to it is like J.R. said he'd be taking a spot away from the youth

that would be great to get those picks.  Out with old and in with the new.  It would be nice to see a spot open up for Shink.

I would say 2nd rounders for Vrbata and Hamhuis.

4th for Higgins 

3rd Or 4th for Prust.

That sucks eh? Hopefully GMJB does better than that but canucks track record of trades pretty much looks like this. 

Vrbata was our leading goal scorer last season, and Hamhuis, although past his prime, is still a top 4.

Based on the last couple years of trade deadlines, it seems you're undervaluing both of these guys.

Vrbata is worth a 1st. Hamhuis should be able to as well. Higgins is at worst a 3rd round pick as well as Prust.

Vrbata was our leading goal scorer last season, and Hamhuis, although past his prime, is still a top 4.

Based on the last couple years of trade deadlines, it seems you're undervaluing both of these guys.

Vrbata is worth a 1st. Hamhuis should be able to as well. Higgins is at worst a 3rd round pick as well as Prust.

I hope you are right as that will make me happy. However, seeing the last few returns where we were expecting to hit home runs (luongo and kesler) I fear i may be disappointed again. Vrbata doesn't have a ntc and although I think he's been adequate in the playoffs, the stigma is that he is a non performer which may change his value from a 1st to a 2nd. Moreover, if he doesn't pick up his play this year, it adds to the likelihood that it will be a 2nd rounder. Hamhuis has a ntc so it really depends on how cooperative he will be but the fact that he can pick his spot increases the leverage that our trading partner may have with us. (look at Kesler. We couldn't even trade him at the deadline where his value would have been at its peak as he was an elite shutdown checking centre that could put up points) 

We traded a 2nd for Higgins in 2011 and if we trade him this deadline, it will be after 5 years of him slowly declining. We already have a plethora of players that can fill his spot (Gaunce, Kenins, Cracknell) why would a team trade a 3rd for him? 

Prust, I think he's actually worth a 3rd as he keeps the other team honest, is physical, a good team guy and can chip in offensively. 

I would say 2nd rounders for Vrbata and Hamhuis.

4th for Higgins 

3rd Or 4th for Prust.

That sucks eh? Hopefully GMJB does better than that but canucks track record of trades pretty much looks like this. 

I guess it all depends what JB does with those picks. 

I wonder if there is a chance to use them to get a young stud D man, like Seth Jones?

If Shinky can keep this consistency up, he takes over Baertschi's spot 100%.  

Shinkaruk just has superior compete level over Baertschi.

Yea but we'll see how he handles adversity. How does he react when the coach benches him? How does he respond when he's told he has to play better defensively?

These are all things that factor in. Baertschi's still finding his groove and trying to earn the coaches trust. Shinkaruk may very well go through the same stumbling blocks. 

To ANA

Vrbata + Hamhuis + Brisebois and VAN 2015 1st 

To VAN

Fowler

Theadore

or

vrbata - 1st

hsmhuis 1st

Higgins 3rd

Prust 3rd - but id resign him

the reason fowler is being rumored is because Theodore's looks like he will be able to replace soon. No way they trade both. 

Also so how many left handed D do Canucks need/want. Edler Hutton sbisa fowler Theodore

if vanek gets a late second. We'd be lucky to get that for vbrata. I'm thinking that the max we get back unless jb fleeces someone.  Fingers crossed  

I hope you are right as that will make me happy. However, seeing the last few returns where we were expecting to hit home runs (luongo and kesler) I fear i may be disappointed again. Vrbata doesn't have a ntc and although I think he's been adequate in the playoffs, the stigma is that he is a non performer which may change his value from a 1st to a 2nd. Moreover, if he doesn't pick up his play this year, it adds to the likelihood that it will be a 2nd rounder. Hamhuis has a ntc so it really depends on how cooperative he will be but the fact that he can pick his spot increases the leverage that our trading partner may have with us. (look at Kesler. We couldn't even trade him at the deadline where his value would have been at its peak as he was an elite shutdown checking centre that could put up points) 

We traded a 2nd for Higgins in 2011 and if we trade him this deadline, it will be after 5 years of him slowly declining. We already have a plethora of players that can fill his spot (Gaunce, Kenins, Cracknell) why would a team trade a 3rd for him? 

Prust, I think he's actually worth a 3rd as he keeps the other team honest, is physical, a good team guy and can chip in offensively. 

Its hard to compare the Lou scenario. Not fair IMO.

Gillis put himself in a position where he not only had no leverage. The world new he wanted to keep Schneider. 

But that it cantilevered against him in any possible deals. Lou reportedly knocked back trades and had demands of setting his own destination. And of course it was he himself who was being outperformed while making petulant demands. Many think Lou and his alter ego twitter sojourns were funny; but to me represented explaining to the world he was singing his own tune. Not the teams! Pursuers would worry whether they were getting a guy who would buy in? Plus of course Bettman nailed the retirement sin tax onto Lou's already massive contract.

None of these are issues with any of our current tradeable players.

I guess it all depends what JB does with those picks. 

I wonder if there is a chance to use them to get a young stud D man, like Seth Jones?

Quantity does not equal quality. Unless we can obtain multiple first rounders to trade  I don't think they'll consider trading Jones. 

Archived