The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

these young d don't make influence at the NHL level for several years.  Don't you think it would be better to get a guy around Hutton's age, who can contribute now?  That's where the trade can speed up the process of a rebuild.  Although with JBs track record for trades we could just be pis song away assets on another mistake - Vey and Baer.

Then you've gotta be willing to part with draft picks for players that have fallen out of favor. That's just as much of a crap shoot.

This team won't be able to seriously compete for another 3 or 4 years. In the meantime we needed to be developing D-men for the future.

Then you've gotta be willing to part with draft picks for players that have fallen out of favor. That's just as much of a crap shoot.

This team won't be able to seriously compete for another 3 or 4 years. In the meantime we needed to be developing D-men for the future.

I'm leaning your way now.  I remember really liking Dunn last draft, but we didn't have a second, do we missed out on him.  If we had those picks, like you say, we could have a pool of young D to compete with one another, and let the cream rise to the top.   We could really do crappy this year and get Chychrun though.  

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but his shooting percentage is sky high right now. I think the fact he is getting high danger scoring chances on a regular basis is comforting though. Some of the best goal scorers from last year were shooting at a 15% plus clip in the AHL and I think it's fair to say we might see him come down to that area by the end of the year.

35% just isn't sustainable. He could improve his shot output though it's only around 2.5 per game at the moment. I could see him getting to a 3.5 average pretty easily. Even if he drops to a S% of 10 for the rest of the year, he could still score 30 goals with 3.5 shots per game.

Small side note Gaunce is also on pace for 30 goals... What?

ya that's why I emphasized "good start" the guy is showing some finish and his confidence will grow. I think they should reward him with a call up at some point during the year. 

Could have had McKeown and Anderssen, 2 right hand d-men in the system right now..but oh well i guess.

I would rather trade hamhuis n vrbata at the deadline and draft young d.

keep shinkaruk! he has potential to be an exciting player. a future shinkaruk - horvat - virtnanen line would be cool!

I said this in another thread

Even if we make the playoffs reality is we're not a contender...That is an issue Benning will need to deal with internally and risk the now (which is low probability, if not non existent, with improving the future). The challenge here really is the 'signal' to the fans and marketing. I suppose Acqilini doesn't give the fans much credit in knowing that our future is more important and reality is we're not winning the cup this year. If they can find the mind space to accept that within the organization then I would do this.

Hammer and Vrbata to Washington (they are at the "all in" stage with that group, and the best time to maximize value on deadline deals is with teams 'going for it' , teams looking to get over the top.  Also, sending them together max's value as well).

Coming back

Bowey (Big, mobile, excellent 2 way dman, with a right shot)

2016 1st and 2nd

6 goals in 6 games,/  1 and some have been gritty.   / 2   He reminds me of a more skilled, less agitating Burrows.    /   Gaunce is playing well right now but surely we have to see Shinkaruk get a call up at some point - / 3   he deserves it more than anyone in Utica. / 4  Maybe when Virtanen/McCann get sent back to junior we'll have a smooth transition of Shinkaruk into the lineup. I think he'd fit nicely with Burrows and Sutter until Higgins returns:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - McCann - Cracknell

1 - conclusions based on goal replays

2 - baseless useless senseless comparable... heres one, he reminds me of a smaller, less strong chara who plays center.

3 - based on the one thing you've seen, goal replays, you know more than a half-billion-dollar professional management organization.

4 - WHEN they do? ok wow. really...

oh, and then finish it off with an irrelevant, senseless, incomplete and idiotic roster, because what prospect post would be complete without more idiocy

Hopefully Hunter hangs in there till christmas or new years i think the picture will be alot clearer as to who will be where an when,right now it is alittle foggy in that regard.He is a offensive player with alot of upside as he catches up to league time an space an things become slow moe to him an begins to thrive in the big leagues .It would be a major mistake to be to hasty an package or trade him for back end help right now ,I for one would be pissed a bit .No one out there will be packaging up a big stud PMD for us any time soon .We should be able to limp along for a bit with what we have on the back end but the forwards are gonna have to belly up to the bar an play better 200 foot game ,especially the elder players an vets whom know better.I would rather package Hammer up with Vey an a second for a stud D if it can be done an possibly bear be added but he is not scoring an converting his chances right now; but that chance would be very slim an none right now also ,Hammer time is time to move on no question in my mind .Every possibility should be examined very carefully which is what I assume management is doing . Shink should be part of the future especially with Burrows on decline with his age now we will need to replace him in couple years,Shink seems logical replacement.

1 - conclusions based on goal replays

2 - baseless useless senseless comparable... heres one, he reminds me of a smaller, less strong chara who plays center.

3 - based on the one thing you've seen, goal replays, you know more than a half-billion-dollar professional management organization.

4 - WHEN they do? ok wow. really...

oh, and then finish it off with an irrelevant, senseless, incomplete and idiotic roster, because what prospect post would be complete without more idiocy

Wow, you're tough.  There's more than a little conjecture and some fantasy going on in these prospect threads.  It's hard not to get excited at Shink lighting it up in Utica (9-3-12 in 11 games played).  What I'm loving as much as his performance is his "I'll show you" attitude.  The kid is resilient.  They all knew that Jim Benning was in the stands last night and Shink put on a show.  Good on him!

Not having seen a Comets game this year, it looks like Shinkaruk and Gaunce are both proving that they are top of the list in the prospects pool.  Gaunce probably gets the call up first because of the type of player he is.  That is, he can slot into the bottom 6 easily.

Shink will prob be the 1st top 6 call up and gaunce will prob remain 1st bottom 6 callup.  They might want to marinate him in the A though for a few months. Get him consistantly going and have him build up his confidence.  I think we could maybe see Shink in december if we have an opening.  (I would do the marinating method myself but will see.  He is looking real good)

As much as I like him and think he's going to be a good NHL'er, I actually hope Baer has a decent year and we move him (plus some mix of Vrbata, Hamuis, Higgins etc) for that young right side D (if we indeed need to send a forward prospect). Then call up Shinkaruk and role with him moving forward. 

As much as I like him and think he's going to be a good NHL'er, I actually hope Baer has a decent year and we move him (plus some mix of Vrbata, Hamuis, Higgins etc) for that young right side D (if we indeed need to send a forward prospect). Then call up Shinkaruk and role with him moving forward. 

if we move bear we lose some top 6 depth on the LW.

future top 6

beartschi McCann Virtanen

Shinkaruk Horvat Boeser

I would not trade any of these guys. Guys I would trade are Jensen, Grenier as add ons into a package say to wash

vrabat/hamhuis/jensen significant salary retained to WSH for UFA Cap Dump Bowey and 2016 2nd or 1st

If JB can pull off a trade like this and get Bowey and a 1st then draft 2 top d men all of a sudden we have amazing defensive prospect depth with hutton, Bowey, 2 1st rounders, then guys like pedan, subban, brisebois, tryamkin. considering Tanev will be around for another 8 years or so, that gives us a good shot at contending again in the next decade

if we move bear we lose some top 6 depth on the LW.

future top 6

beartschi McCann Virtanen

Shinkaruk Horvat Boeser

I would not trade any of these guys. Guys I would trade are Jensen, Grenier as add ons into a package say to wash

vrabat/hamhuis/jensen some salary retained to WSH for UFA Cap Dump Bowey and 2016 2nd or 1st

Jensen and Grenier are not likely of sufficient quality to get a Day prospect of sufficient quality IMO. They might be the negotiations starting point, but I doubt they'll be the end point.

Wingers are far easier (and cheaper) to find/replace than top 4 D as well. They also develop faster. Any D we draft this summer will likely take 4+ years before they can contribute at this level. A forward might be ready in 2'ish.

Then there's the rumors that Lucic may just be coming to Van next summer. Daniel, Lucic, Shinkaruk, Guance, Kenins looks like good LW depth for the next couple seasons to me. Add Burr who can play that side as well. There's also a few other decent winger options this summer as well. 

Archived