The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

6 goals in 6 games, and some have been gritty. He reminds me of a more skilled, less agitating Burrows. Gaunce is playing well right now but surely we have to see Shinkaruk get a call up at some point - he deserves it more than anyone in Utica. Maybe when Virtanen/McCann get sent back to junior we'll have a smooth transition of Shinkaruk into the lineup. I think he'd fit nicely with Burrows and Sutter until Higgins returns:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - McCann - Cracknell

I think they give Baer a chance to see if he can play at the NHL level.  Shinks can tear up the AHL and join the team next year.

Hopefully he can add some muscle in the offseason and get up over the 185 mark. 

I think Shinks will be the better player, as he has the compete level that I don't think Baer has.  Shinks is a high energy guy that just doesn't give up. 

Baer is as good a passer and puck handler as we have in a prospect, but he is having trouble finding space and winning board battles. Shinkaruk is one of our best finishers, and does a decent job of winning board battles in the AHL, but may run into the same problem as Baer in the NHL. Does a great job of finding space though, similar to McCann in that sense.

Shinkaruk’s play in the early going has impressed Comets head coach Travis Green, who made critical comments about the skater’s habit of forcing plays last month.

“I’ve seen improvement,” Green said. “Last year Hunter would take pucks wide and take it around the net and not get pucks to the inside and not get himself to the inside… He’s improved in that area and I’m expecting he’s going to continue to improve as he gets older and stronger.”

Archived