The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Sure, but we're going to need at LEAST two top 6 LW's after Daniel retires. Right now we have Baer and Shink who are both quite promising but neither are guaranteed locks to be those guys. Trading either away at this point wouldn't be prudent IMO.

We still have at least 2 drafts  2 UFA periods find a second top 6 LW. I would think at least one of Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Baertschi will become a true top 6 forward. 

IF we would trade away a forward for a defenceman or similar quality i would at moving  a Center or a RW winger. 

Virtanen needs to sit and we should bring Shinkaruk up. He had bad luck in the preseason but worked harder than most of the other kids. This team needs some sort of a shakeup.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Baertschi - McCann - Prust

Virtanen needs to sit and we should bring Shinkaruk up. He had bad luck in the preseason but worked harder than most of the other kids. This team needs some sort of a shakeup.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Unfortunately we don't have the cap space to bring up anybody unless there's a trade, an injury serious enough for LTIR, enough injuries that we can't dress 12 forwards (so to allow for an emergency recall), a demotion (to Utica), or the kids get sent back to junior.

But barring those scenarios, we just don't have the cap space to bring someone up.  Maybe later in the season if/when Benning starts looking to move some veteran contracts.

I agree though that it would be nice to have Shinkaruk as an option for this roster. Especially given how well he's played of late.

That said, I'm sure our friends in Utica are very happy that the Canucks' cap issues mean Hunter should be staying put for a while.

I don't think we need to start trading away developing assets yet. For one thing I won't consider this team out of the woods until we draft a game changing gritty sniper and so far we have failed in that aim imo.

Virtanen and Boeser both have that potential. Its amazing how quick some of you write off our prospects.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Or you could let him enjoy his first taste of individual pro achievement and grow more confident before throwing him into the shark tank.

2nd that. He's too damn good. We got lucky in back to back to back drafts. Shink slid to 24, McCann slid to 24 and Boeser slid to 23. That speeds up your rebuild by a year or two as well.

Yeah. We got extremely lucky with those three picks. Didn't have to trade down--just had em fall to us. 

Shink and McCann were both rated top 10, but certain things led to their fall. Injury concerns for Shinkaruk, and unspectacular offense for McCann. Now, those concerns are far less pressing, and both players seem like they could be fixtures on our team in just a few years. 

Boeser was actually rated to go around 27, more or less, but I wasn't that high on defense outside the top 10. He's been absolutely lights out so far this season, and it looks like he was a steal. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-prospects-report-october/

Prospect Report

Hunter Shinkaruk
Shinkaruk turned 21 this month, and celebrated by putting an occasionally frustrating AHL rookie season squarely in the rearview mirror.

The forward has a team-leading four goals and five points in the Utica Comets’ first five games. A year ago it took him 12 games to hit the five-point barrier, and 15 to score his fourth AHL goal.

So, what’s changed?

“I think it’s a mixture of a few things,” Shinkaruk said. “A little bit more opportunities, more knowing the league, things like that have added up to allow me to have success so far.”

Shinkaruk’s hot start included an impressive hat trick in the Comets’ home opener.

“It was a great night,” Shinkaruk said of that game. “I’m a guy who loves to score goals and getting to celebrate was really cool.

“The crowd was going pretty crazy. I just went back to the bench and just had a smile on my face. You work so hard all summer, so to play like that at the home opener is pretty special.”

Shinkaruk’s play in the early going has impressed Comets head coach Travis Green, who made critical comments about the skater’s habit of forcing plays last month.

“I’ve seen improvement,” Green said. “Last year Hunter would take pucks wide and take it around the net and not get pucks to the inside and not get himself to the inside… He’s improved in that area and I’m expecting he’s going to continue to improve as he gets older and stronger.”

Three game weekend for Utica coming up. With Gaunce out of the line-up was really hoping Shinkaruk would keep rolling. Hope he can pot a couple more in the next couple games !! =)

A whole 2nd pro season in the AHL, (bonus if he is PPG) Then come to camp next year & take the 2LW spot would be great. Since halfway through last season he is showing everything that WD thinks that Sven is missing.

Archived