The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

How long before Cassels and McCann are ready, 2 years? It's too bad that they will just miss the Sedins, unless the twins decide to re-up for a couple more years. Used to love watching Andrew Cassels when he was a Canuck. Shutting down McDavid, if he continues to do so, will look amazing on his resume.

Amazing how getting a good player in round 2,3 builds up organizational depth even over 2 yrs, something Burke, Nonis, Gillis never did.

I liked the baertschi trade a lot but JB better turn some of these old vets and our excess goalies into picks.

Gillis had a Cup contender on his hands, he did what he had to do to give us a legitimate shot during our window.

Gillis had a Cup contender on his hands, he did what he had to do to give us a legitimate shot during our window.

Yep. It's easy to complain after the fact, but he had to go for it at the time.

I have no problem with what we gave up for Higgins, Lapierre, and Roy.

Amazing how getting a good player in round 2,3 builds up organizational depth even over 2 yrs, something Burke, Nonis, Gillis never did.

I liked the baertschi trade a lot but JB better turn some of these old vets and our excess goalies into picks.

Gillis got us Cassels...

Yep. It's easy to complain after the fact, but he had to go for it at the time.

I have no problem with what we gave up for Higgins, Lapierre, and Roy.

I usually don't disagree with you, but the Roy trade was bad in my opinion.

Gillis did a good job at the draft better then we had previously

But his time came when he couldn't capitalize on our window

I usually don't disagree with you, but the Roy trade was bad in my opinion.

Gillis did a good job at the draft better then we had previously

But his time came when he couldn't capitalize on our window

Gillis quite with a rash of astute moves got us to our window from the developing team he took over. He had high marks from me. Hamhuis was exactly what we needed, so were Torres and Malhotra. Lapierre & Higgins were good deadline acquisitions. He added speed, mobility, size and match up capacity.

Ala Chicago, he made some cap sacrifices (Ehrhhoff), Torres) and then did what he felt best to keep us there. But few of his decisions after 2011 actually filled a hole and provided value in our line up.

- No Ballard was not good enough to take over for Ehrhoff, but he held him like an ace up his sleeve.

- Kassian was not ready to battle the Lucic's of the world.

- Booth never turned out to be the brute, slashing & scoring forward he projected.

- Sturm did not replace Torres as a fore-checking two way terror. Nor his size or speed.

- It never dawned on him that Lou actually never wanted to be here. Or that he could have at least gotten assets for Schneider while we had a chance?

- Gave Malhotra, honourably at least, too much rope to recover.

- And lost in conversation is that Samuelsson had to be replaced. Yes I know he was a dying dog. But he still needed to be replaced. He was a valuable puck control asset and big body RW.

- He made a so so move in Garrison. Good player, but redundant.

- Lack was a score!

- These were his best moves that impacted our team post 2011. Not enough...

- Higgins and Lapierre were good retentions. But not good enough to occupy positions as core players which at least Higgins has been counted on for.

At least he started drafting well 2012 on! Lord knows his drafting prior was the opposite of any astute moves he did make to get us going.

Mike just lost the plot.

How long before Cassels and McCann are ready, 2 years? It's too bad that they will just miss the Sedins, unless the twins decide to re-up for a couple more years. Used to love watching Andrew Cassels when he was a Canuck. Shutting down McDavid, if he continues to do so, will look amazing on his resume.

At his post-draft training camp (2013) Cassels was a standout, if not a surprise being a third round pick. Consider also that was before he broke out offensively the next season. He missed camp last year, so two years after his first we shouldn't be surprised if he is given a very long look, especially as a replacement for Richardson. With his superior two-way play and edge to his game, he's going to be tough to keep off the roster.

And yes -- if he manages to shut down McDavid to any extent, especially if they win the series, the hockey world is going to take serious notice. Here's some comments from after that 2013 camp:

When the Canucks picked Cole Cassels in the third round of the draft, it wasn’t a particularly exciting pick. Cassels has good all-around ability, but the scouting reports indicate that he doesn’t particularly excel in any one area. It’s hard to get amped up about a jack-of-all-trades who doesn’t have eye-catching point totals.

After his performance during the Canucks’ prospect camp and Young Stars Tournament, however, there’s plenty of excitement building about Cassels. The 18-year-old centre was one of the best forwards for the Canucks and one of the best forwards period. Kevin McCartney, who writes for Jets Nation, had Cassels as one of the honourable mentions for his All-Star picks from the tournament, and for good reason.

Cassels was noticeable in all three zones, but what was especially impressive was his work in the neutral zone, where he harried opposing skaters and picked off passes with his great skating and positioning. He contributed offensively as well, finishing with 3 points in 4 games, good for third on the Canucks. There’s a lot more optimism surrounding Cassels’ potential now than when he was drafted.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/09/16/camp-cuts-cole-cassels-and-jordan-subban-head-back-to-the-ohl/

Good bounce-back game from McDavid tonight. Despite not scoring, he managed to hold Cassels off the scoresheet for 55 minutes. But really, even McDavid can't maintain that expectation, despite being 18 Years Old.

Still, a good effort from him tonight in working hard to contain Cole. Oilers fans should be encouraged.

Keeping the next generational player whos been averaging 3 ppg throughout the playoffs to .5 ppg early on is a significant feat.

Cole may be 2 years older, but if he continues to contain his matchup, it sure looks promising for the Canucks next wave of forwards that are multi dimensional.

100% better chance that the Canucks keep a team together of Horvat, Virtanen, Kassian, McCann, Cassels, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Gaunce over Edmonton keeping Hall, McJesus, Draisaitl, RNH, Yak, Ebs, Nurse, Schultz all together in a cap world. Van definitely has more question marks in terms of offensive ceiling, but I'm loving the matchup potential to shut teams down and grind out wins.

Edmonton will have about 3 years to make it work before dollars and cents become an issue. That means they need to add experience to G and D right now that can still log significant minutes and play a significant role....

Meanwhile, wIth significant veteran contracts expiring over the next 3 years, Vancouver should have enough $$ available to be able to add a few solid UFAs to their budding youth that likely wont require and arm and a leg to retain. I honestly really like the direction of the new identity of the next gen Vancouver Canucks.

With nearly 15 M coming off the books after this coming season.... has anyone looked at the potential UFA crop?

Let me enlighten you if you havent:

Staal, Eric

Kopitar, Anze

Lucic, Milan

O'Reilly, Ryan

Byfuglien, Dustin

Stamkos, Steven

Kesler, Ryan

Plekanec, Tomas

Seabrook, Brent

Vrbata, Radim

Goligoski, Alex

Backes, David

Doan, Shane

Eriksson, Loui

Ladd, Andrew

Okposo, Kyle

Perron, David

Voracek, Jakub

Hamhuis, Dan

Johnson, Erik

Pardon my french but that is a fracken monumental UFA crop should even 25% of them make it to UFA day, and we should have enough dough around to net the biggest fish we can find while continuing to get younger.

You know Cassels is a Gillis pick right?

Archived