The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Canadiens discussing with the Canucks for a defenceman

So a guy who wouldn't defend a teammate on the ice and never has probably never will, never defends the goalie or crease whatsover to him our goalies and crease are always fair game, a guy who would and will never fight in his career and in front of any kind of confrontation runs scared to the bench, walks away after any goal against no matter how important acts like he doesn't care even if it was him who screwed up as usual but throws and average of one good hit every few games isn't soft??

Lol he is as soft as they come and anyone who thinks he's not because of a rare hit is a fool and looks like there's a few of you.

Some of you fans really have no clue.

I'm not going to argue with claims like "runs scared" or "doesn't care" etc - can't be bothered - those are a matter of your opinion, but what I will point out is that the idea that Edler hits once every few games is simply wrong. The opposite is the reality - a couple hits a game.

83 hits in 51 games

143 hits in 82 games

77 hits in 45 games

By comparison, that's more hits than Kronwall has thrown in the last three years 303 to 288, in 29 less games than Kronwall.

Kronwall doesn't punch anyone in the face either, but few people would suggest he's "soft". Getting "Kronwalled" isn't synonymous with getting gifted a heart shaped box of Valentines chocolates, it means getting run over - which is what Edler does to people. Nothing "soft" about it, and I couldn't really care less if he isn't an enforcer type or doesn't spend time serving majors - that's not a role you want your blueliners playing in any event.

Edler is most definitely physical (although inconsistently so), but he's not a rough and tough, gritty type of player. There's clearly a difference. Edler shivers from any sort of confrontation. I really can't make up my mind on this guy. Both of the trade and keep arguments have valid points to them.

I am tired of the Edler haters. Can you name a single player that doesn't make mistakes?

I think Edler is more defensively responsible than a lot of guys that have similar offense. Letang comes to mind.

Edler has a lot of potential and he has signed here on the cheap. We spent a part of the season seeing if he could play on his offside. Another part seeing if Garrison could do the same beside him. And a final part pairing him up with someone like Tanev who isn't ready for top-4 minutes.

Your top D-man being the best guy defensively is a rarity. Not everyone can be Shea Weber. And keep in mind that Nashville sacrificed scoring prowess to get him, Suter and Jones on the team. But trading him gives us, what?

Garrison - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Weber - Corrado?

Tanev isn't ready and Weber gets points at the cost of bigger mistakes than Edler makes. Corrado is nothing more than a reliable depth passer.

We have seen tons of examples of heavy-offense teams getting nothing done because of a weak back end.

Can we seriously replace Edler with 1-2 guys for a combined similar salary? I doubt it.

part of the reason the nucks are even considering trading edler is for cap relief. so if a deal with montreal were to be reached, no

players with big cap hits would be coming back i.e. deharnias, markov, pleckanec, bourqe, gionta. i stand firm in thinking that

if a deal was reached between these two teams it would be centered around eller and tinordi

fringe?

they guy is 6'2 220

was an all star a year ago

has averaged 40 pts per year through his career

is only 27

and he's not worth an unestablished player?

wow dude...wake up

i guess you're one of the people who think Horvat for Schnieder was an even trade lol

Nice shot buddy but maybe you've been slapped around one too many times.

Edlers point totals which are almost all off the backs of the Sedins will be picked up our dman that ends up getting all the Sedin 5 on 5 shifts and powerplay Sedin shifts that Edler has the luxury of having to boost his numbers.

The bonus will be we won't have all those goals against when Edlers flubbing up getting walked around, caught wandering out of position, caught up ice being making foolish gambles or falling around not clearing out the front of our net.

Edler is so overrated its not even funny and the fans who constantly argue how great he is or dream he will be someday are dilusional and fail badly at properly evaluating players all around game.

Nice shot buddy but maybe you've been slapped around one too many times.

Edlers point totals which are almost all off the backs of the Sedins will be picked up our dman that ends up getting all the Sedin 5 on 5 shifts and powerplay Sedin shifts that Edler has the luxury of having to boost his numbers.

The bonus will be we won't have all those goals against when Edlers flubbing up getting walked around, caught wandering out of position, caught up ice being making foolish gambles or falling around not clearing out the front of our net.

Edler is so overrated its not even funny and the fans who constantly argue how great he is or dream he will be someday are dilusional and fail badly at properly evaluating players all around game.

While you're not completely wrong, you attitude is. Lose the smug attitude and posters might enjoy having conversations with you.

Scott Niedermayer never fought or hit and is one of the best to ever play defense. Edler's problems are his inconsistencies. If the Canucks can get a blue chip prospect then trade him, otherwise keep him. Dmen like Edler do not grow on trees.

I hope its not for eddy or subban.

This is what happens when lui doesn't start one year... people needed a new scapegoat. With lui as a back up they moved to bashing edler.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shake up on defense. It shouldn't be eddy or garrison though

Edler + 2014 3rd rounder + 2015 3rd rounder = Subban + 2014 2nd rounder

:) I don't think it would be a trade that would happen in reality because I doubt the Canadiens want to get rid of their best defenseman, but it seems fair ? :)

I am tired of the Edler haters. Can you name a single player that doesn't make mistakes?

I think Edler is more defensively responsible than a lot of guys that have similar offense. Letang comes to mind.

Edler has a lot of potential and he has signed here on the cheap. We spent a part of the season seeing if he could play on his offside. Another part seeing if Garrison could do the same beside him. And a final part pairing him up with someone like Tanev who isn't ready for top-4 minutes.

Your top D-man being the best guy defensively is a rarity. Not everyone can be Shea Weber. And keep in mind that Nashville sacrificed scoring prowess to get him, Suter and Jones on the team. But trading him gives us, what?

Garrison - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Weber - Corrado?

Tanev isn't ready and Weber gets points at the cost of bigger mistakes than Edler makes. Corrado is nothing more than a reliable depth passer.

We have seen tons of examples of heavy-offense teams getting nothing done because of a weak back end.

Can we seriously replace Edler with 1-2 guys for a combined similar salary? I doubt it.

Archived