The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your "Unpopular Hockey Opinion(s)"

Darkstar

Kevin Bieksa should be captain.

We never should have let Salo walk despite his injury history.

FIghting has a place in hockey.

Max Lapierre was most defensively used forward last two years and we will miss him come playoffs

Torres looks like a shark, so it is fitting he is there.

Boston deserved to win in the finals.

Ovechkin is a really cool dude.

Toronto is a fun team to watch and I secretly root them on.

I like James Duthie.

5 years from now the kassian hodgson debate will be over and we will have lost.

Messier isn't that terri... lol can't cay that with a straight face.

1. James Reimer was the most underrated goalie in the league last year. Toronto was among the worst possession teams and faced the most shots per 60 minutes of any other team yet Reimer still posted a .924 save percentage. Unreal what he does and what little recognition he gets.

2. Dion Phaneuf is a top defenceman in the NHL. He gets called 'the most overrated player in the NHL' so often that at this point he must be underrated. He's posted five 40+ point season's, and three of those are 50+ point seasons. He hits like a freight train and is a treat to watch on the ice. More importantly he is paired with absolute garbage, including the likes of Mike Kostka and Korbinian Holzer for the majority of last year.

3. Brendan Shanahan is an effective administrator. He's cracking down on dirty play and of course if anything goes against the Canucks this entire board cries EASTERN BIAS and burns Bettman effigies in the streets. Its not easy to get it 100% right every time and he's done a damn good job so far.

4. There is no 'Anti-Canuck Bias'. This board is perpetuated with accusations of league inequality and the such but if you guys took your heads out of your asses and maybe watched a hockey game instead of complaining at every minor penalty you would notice that the officiating has been, to put it nicely, lackluster, these last few years. Wake up CDC.

5. Jonathan Toews is the best player in the NHL. He's the captain of a modern day dynasty, has a Conn Smythe and Selke to his name, and is still only 25. He's not Crosby yet but he's damn close and I sure as hell know who I'd rather build my team around.

6. The Boston Bruins are not a dirty team. Do they play a physical style? Yes. Do they take advantage of the lack of rules in the playoffs? Yes. Does this make them dirty goons? No. The Bruins simply play a system proven to win in today's NHL, and just because they bobbleheaded a Sedin or two on the way to a Cup win does NOT make every player to have worn a Bruin's jersey a detriment to humanity. Nobody likes a sore loser guys.

7. The Calgary Flames are not as bad as you think they are, and most certainly will win another cup before the Oilers do. Edmonton's franchise makeup is all wrong and they essentially need to restart from scratch. They've drafted the wrong players and are paying the price dearly. I know you guys love to crap all over Feaster but he's drafted well and will continue to do so throughout his tenure in Calgary. You don't see Gillis coming up with any Sven Baertschi's.

8. Jonathan Quick is the most overrated goaltender in the NHL. He is sheltered behind an incredible team defence and happened to tag along for a cup win. He was exposed last year and watch for that to continue.

9. Phil Kessel is not overpaid. I really can't stress this enough, he took a contract below what he would have received on the open market and I am thankful for that. Not only is he being paid below market value, he has been the best goalscorer in the league this past 2 seasons not named Steven Stamkos. He's a gamebreaker and you know when the pucks on his stick something will happen

10. The Phoenix Coyotes will win a cup before the Vancouver Canucks. They're 2 seasons removed from a conference finals appearance, and lost through no fault of there's to a team that had been possessed by some unearthly entity and seemed to be on a divine quest. They have all the pieces in place and are backed by the best coaching staff in the NHL second to none. It's amazing what Tippet gets out of his guys.

Thoughts?

I disagree with Phoenix winning a cup before VAN, Shanahan being a good administrator, Kessel being underpaid (you could say he would have gotten more on the open market, doesn't mean he's worth that) and Feaster being a good GM.

Agreed on Reimer, Phaneuf, Quick and Oilers.

Toews is likely the most complete player in the league, but I'd still say Crosby > Toews.

Sedins are top 10 NHL players.

We have for years needed a legitimate top line RW.

Vancouvers media is a disadvantage for the canucks.

Vancouver doesn't need season tickets

There is no window and if there was it would still be wide open.

Crosby is the greatest player EVER!

The NHL needs MORE FIGHTING.

Players who deliver dirty hits need more then a suspension, they rarely equal the damage inflicted!

The NHL is not an even playing field.

Sean Avery in his prime was one of the better bottom six forwards in the league and an entertaining guy to have in the NHL.

This is mine, I fully understand why many people hate him and I wouldn't want him on my team (locker room cancer), but the drama he created was entertaining. And the "sloppy seconds" comment was hilarious.

Alain Vigneault is not an NHL quality coach.

Actually that is a "popular" opinion (at least amongst Canuck fans)

My "unpopular" opinion is that it is wrong and the product of whiny, self-entitled hockey fans who really know nothing about coaching.

That Edler's hit on Hertl was dirty.

Henrik Sedin is sincerely underappreciated defensively.

Ryan Kesler can score 50 goals if put in the right situation.

Mason Raymond can be a consistent 20 goal scorer.

Rich Peverly is the best 3rd line center in the NHL.

Sidney Crosby is the only player capable of touching most of Gretzky's records.

Joe Thornton & Patrick Marleau are worthless bums that will never ever bring San Jose a Stanley Cup.

Brendan Shanahan & Rob Blake have done a good job handling player suspensions.

How is it a dirty hit when Edler is moving in a straight line and Hertl the turtle runs into him?

Luongo did not revive this franchise, great drafting did.

Bo Horvat will not be an elite NHL hockey player.

The Edmonton Oilers will turn their season around

Corey Crawford is the Blackhawks MVP.

Jason Spezza is the leagues most underrated player.

Justin Schultz would be 2 times the player he is today if you would have joined the Canucks and surrounded himself with a Pro D-Corps.

Dispite the slow start Ottawa's Murray is the leagues best GM.

The Draft Lottery sucks. Another bonehead idea from the NBA, a league where there is no such thing as parity.

Bad teams don't get a chance to improve. The NFL, the most successful league in North America has no lottery system. And no one complains.

No Touch Icing. It's easier, makes more sense. And I don't want to see a d-man get nuked chasing a puck and end his career.

I think Malhotra is a great person, and was a good player before his eye injury. But just because he is still a beast in face-offs, I fear for his safety on getting nailed.

If Bobby Orr says fighting is ok in the NHL, then I won't argue with him.

The NHL should have a goal of all arenas by 2034 will have olympic sized rinks. More room, more space. The players are bigger and faster than ever before. Yet they are playing on an ice surface that has not changed since 1900. Time to look at this long term. All these new arenas should have capacity for 20,000 fans MINIMUM.

The NHL should contract to 28 teams, and have a 20 year ban on expansion. The league is too watered down as it stands.

The NHL/Refs/and 2-4 players from each team should get together at the end of the hockey season, and have a 4 day conference on clearing up the rules in the rule book. That way EVERYONE knows what a penalty is and isn't. More consistent calls for the Refs, and the players know what is or isn't a penalty.

NBC sucks as a broadcast partner. The NHL in the US should be on ESPN or ESPN 2.

Here are a few of mine:

Jay Bouwmeester is a great defenseman (some people disagree with this)

Anyone could've coached the 2010-11 Canucks

The Edmonton Oilers are not as good as everyone thinks they are

Luc Bourdon would've been a top 3-5 defenseman in the NHL (RIP)

Marc-Andre Fleury is still an elite goalie

Archived