The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Luongo on Team Canada says Stellick

Plaguez

coz Chicago at most can only shut down 1-2 lines while all 4 lines can score? i liked to see their 4th line/3rd pair of defense shutdown any lines on team canada. while canada have some of the best 2 ways forwards that can shutdown chicago's..

See it's easy to say that, but there are various roles in the NHL for a reason. If it were just all about scoring power, there'd be no enforcers, agitators, grinders, etc. It'd just be all scorers. Having a balance is a good thing.

His gaa and save percentage are not even in the top 30, I would be surprised if he made the team. Taking a goalie that hasn't played well in years has a reputation of folding under pressure would be hard to justify to the rest of Canada especially with the rest of Canada hating the nucks. Yes he won the gold but goaltending was never considered the reason and they will want to put there best foot forward. Lou has been solid for us this year but he is no more then an average goalie that can play the odd great game but the great games have become few and far between.

What a surprise... Nino doesn't want luongo on team Canada . Nino hates luongo.

For a Canadian, winning a gold medal isn't near the achievement of winning the cup. There's only a handful of teams who are able to compete for a medal - Canada, US, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, Czechs...?

It's the same with the Stanley Cups won in the original 6 era - nice and all, but nothing compared to coming out on top in a 24-30 team league.

Good. Keep Luongo fresh for what really matters: the playoffs

Not sure I agree. Luongo rusts fast, that's why he always has slow starts to the season. Keep him playing. If he gets 3 weeks off in February, does that mean he will be back in October mode when the season restarts?

For a Canadian, winning a gold medal isn't near the achievement of winning the cup. There's only a handful of teams who are able to compete for a medal - Canada, US, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, Czechs...?

It's the same with the Stanley Cups won in the original 6 era - nice and all, but nothing compared to coming out on top in a 24-30 team league.

Winning the gold in the olympic - an honour and great acheievement

Winning the Stanley Cup - Ultimate child hood dream

Girls dream of their big wedding, boys dream drinking out of the cup

I can't remember the last time we expected Luongo to score 3 goals to actually give us a chance to win...

It's not about Luongo scoring 3 goals, it's about him not allowing 3 goals in rapid succession in a big game.

That being said, I think he'll start in the Olympics but he'll be on a very short leash.

It's not about Luongo scoring 3 goals, it's about him not allowing 3 goals in rapid succession in a big game.

That being said, I think he'll start in the Olympics but he'll be on a very short leash.

and he's done then when this season...?

maybe once in that gongshow vs NYR?

I strongly disagree... what makes you think the Olympic team would beat a championship Chicago team so easily? One of the Hawks' strong points is they play great as a team...

For serious?

Many of the 4 lines of 1st/2nd line players and 3 pairs of #1 D men that make up team Canada are players who are multi talented. They aren't just a pretty shot. They can hit, they see the ice very well, etc etc etc. In a 7 game series last years Blackhawks against team Canada and Canada wins.

That's not a slight against Chicago because they were amazing last season but it's hardly a competition. They could certainly take team Belarus though.

His gaa and save percentage are not even in the top 30, I would be surprised if he made the team. Taking a goalie that hasn't played well in years has a reputation of folding under pressure would be hard to justify to the rest of Canada especially with the rest of Canada hating the nucks. Yes he won the gold but goaltending was never considered the reason and they will want to put there best foot forward. Lou has been solid for us this year but he is no more then an average goalie that can play the odd great game but the great games have become few and far between.

Had enough of this "goaltending wasn't the reason we won gold". Sure, maybe Luongo wasn't the "prior reason". But .927 save % and 1.76 gaa in 5 games seems pretty good to me. You can't say he didn't do his job, or didn't do good. There's no guarantee any other goalie would have done better. That's some real good numbers if you ask me.

Had enough of this "goaltending wasn't the reason we won gold". Sure, maybe Luongo wasn't the "prior reason". But .927 save % and 1.76 gaa in 5 games seems pretty good to me. You can't say he didn't do his job, or didn't do good. There's no guarantee any other goalie would have done better. That's some real good numbers if you ask me.

Brodeur couldn't do better, just saying...

Smith and Crawford are among the only starting goalies actually playing worse than Luo. No way they make the team ahead of him.

Agreed. Though I would put it as 'Lu playing BETTER than sb' rather than 'sb playing WORSE than Lu'. Because Lu isn't playing bad. He's only allowed 2 or less goals per game consistently for quite a while now. His stats are trending upward, close to his lifetime average.

Here's an impressive list of goalies that Lu is playing BETTER than so far: Lundquist, Niemi, Smith, Halak, Howard, Bobrovsky, Crawford, Thomas, Quick, Brodeur, Anderson... so it's pretty WEAK for Lu haters to keep bringing up his poor stats. Give it a rest.

And montreal has already won 24 cups so why would they want another cup..? same logic

alot of players have not won a gold medal and it is just as big a deal as the cup. when you win the cup you beat the best in the NHL

when you win the gold you beat the best in the entire world

Its a ridiculous argument anyways, but also you are using a false equivalency. IF it was Vancouver that had 24 cups then maybe you'd have a thin case. Why should I, a Vancouver Canucks fan, feel so nonchalant about a Stanley Cup?

In fact I think even most Montreal Canadiens fans would pick another Stanley Cup over Olympic glory. Because many fans were not around to witness those past Cup wins.

Winning gold here in Vancouver was the ultimate Olympic experience for us local Canadian hockey fans. We've achieved that. Using your line of reasoning, haven't we here in Vancouver then already experienced the ultimate in Olympic achievement? And with our own goalie backstopping as well? How is winning a gold off in a European country ever going to top that?

Anyways, even if they, for some reason like a cataclysmic natural disaster, had to move the venue back to the previous Winter Olympic venue (Vancouver)....I'd still trade a Gold medal for a Stanley Cup. Its an achievment that we have never ever witnessed. Believe me there would be at least the same number of, if not more, people out on the streets if that happened.

Winning the gold in the olympic - an honour and great acheievement

Winning the Stanley Cup - Ultimate child hood dream

Girls dream of their big wedding, boys dream drinking out of the cup

Don't be so sure. I never dreamed of my wedding as a girl. Ever. I'm fact I'm not sure I've ever met a woman that did despite that frequent stereotype from TV and movies. I'm pretty sure I know more women who won the imaginary Cup as kids in neighborhood pickup games than who gave a crap about what dress they would wear on 1 specific day in their lives at some point in the distant future.

Plus there are lots of people, male and female, who dream of winning Olympic gold from childhood. Hell, some athletes are still kids when they win them (especially female gymnasts.) The Cup may still be the ultimate goal/dream for almost every NHLer, but don't underestimate the appeal of winning a medal on the WORLD stage for many athletes.

Archived