The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Sportsnet's Hockey Cenral: Should the Canucks consider moving Bo Horvat

Southpop45

No. If it was a very possible cup ala Nieuwendyk for Iginla then maybe but I don't think there's a guy that'll do that for us.

I see no reason at all to give away that kid. Sportsnet is just making busy news.

Totally :D those Oiler Homers bashed our entire team for every second of airtime they had. I do like the idea of trading for Ladd though, very appealing.

It's just one article.. but temper your enthusiasm... B0 is just a solid prospect at this point. No one knows if he will live up to the Hype.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/18/4431126/bo-horvat-draft-comparables

Bo Horvat is a player with quite a bit of momentum going into the draft. His team won the OHL championship, and he raised his level of play in the playoffs in order to help them out, increasing his goals per game from 0.49 during the regular season to 0.76 during the playoffs. Even though his overall statistical performance isn't jaw-dropping, that offensive improvement during the playoffs, and a solid all-around game has him moving up many lists. Corey Pronman is one scout who has Horvat ranked higher than the consensus at 14th, and has this to say about the player:

Horvat is one of the most complete forwards in this draft. He is tough, hard working, and defensively skilled, with enough offensive ability to project as a scoring line player.... His creativity progressed throughout this season, and his puck skills, hand-eye coordination, and playmaking vision all rank as above average; he can flash high-end offensive skill.

And there's more praise where that came from if you read the whole thing. But as I said above, his statistical performance isn't all that impressive. Is it so bad that it's a deal-breaker in the first half of the first round? Let's take a look a look at Horvat's comparables to try to find out. In this case a comparable player was someone who played his draft year in the CHL, had an adjusted goals per game rate between 0.51 and 0.63, an adjustedpoints per game rate between 0.88 and 1.08 (90% to 110% of Horvat's production), and was selected somewhere between 14th and 24th overall.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

It's not exactly a murderer's row. In the chart below, I've listed each player's number of regular season games and his career points per game.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

A couple of solid long-time NHL players and a couple of draft busts. If we widen the scope, do things look better? In this case, we'll say a comparable player was someone who played his draft year in the CHL, had an adjusted goals per game rate between 0.49 and 0.66, an adjusted points per game rate between 0.83 and 1.13 (85% to 115% of Horvat's production), and was selected somewhere between 9th and 29th overall.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

As with most of these wider looks, there's a player or two who catches your eye (Cam Neely), but in this particular case, there's also a whole lot of warning signals. I've again listed each player's number of regular season games and his career points per game in the chart below to give a sense of what I'm talking about.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

Frankly, even with the presence of Neely, this is more discouraging than the smaller list of close comparables. Just two players clock in above half a point per game in the NHL, and one of those (Grabner) just barely squeaks over the line. Players with this statistical profile in the CHL just don't generally work out as offensive players once they get to the NHL. Now, the scouting reports all suggest a player who has good skating and is solid defensively, so Horvat may have better odds than the above lists might suggest of making it to the NHL at all, but I'd peg his odds of becoming an impact offensive player as very low.

Claiborne55 were you a guy that said Kesler would be a 3rd liner at best? prospects are going to be as good as they work to be you cant really compare them to anybody but themselves...I don't trade any of them for Ladd because we need that youth in the system unless we want to turn into Calgary and be screwed long term because they burned all their prospects

It's just one article.. but temper your enthusiasm... B0 is just a solid prospect at this point. No one knows if he will live up to the Hype.

http://www.coppernbl...aft-comparables

Bo Horvat is a player with quite a bit of momentum going into the draft. His team won the OHL championship, and he raised his level of play in the playoffs in order to help them out, increasing his goals per game from 0.49 during the regular season to 0.76 during the playoffs. Even though his overall statistical performance isn't jaw-dropping, that offensive improvement during the playoffs, and a solid all-around game has him moving up many lists. Corey Pronman is one scout who has Horvat ranked higher than the consensus at 14th, and has this to say about the player:

Horvat is one of the most complete forwards in this draft. He is tough, hard working, and defensively skilled, with enough offensive ability to project as a scoring line player.... His creativity progressed throughout this season, and his puck skills, hand-eye coordination, and playmaking vision all rank as above average; he can flash high-end offensive skill.

And there's more praise where that came from if you read the whole thing. But as I said above, his statistical performance isn't all that impressive. Is it so bad that it's a deal-breaker in the first half of the first round? Let's take a look a look at Horvat's comparables to try to find out. In this case a comparable player was someone who played his draft year in the CHL, had an adjusted goals per game rate between 0.51 and 0.63, an adjustedpoints per game rate between 0.88 and 1.08 (90% to 110% of Horvat's production), and was selected somewhere between 14th and 24th overall.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

It's not exactly a murderer's row. In the chart below, I've listed each player's number of regular season games and his career points per game.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

A couple of solid long-time NHL players and a couple of draft busts. If we widen the scope, do things look better? In this case, we'll say a comparable player was someone who played his draft year in the CHL, had an adjusted goals per game rate between 0.49 and 0.66, an adjusted points per game rate between 0.83 and 1.13 (85% to 115% of Horvat's production), and was selected somewhere between 9th and 29th overall.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

As with most of these wider looks, there's a player or two who catches your eye (Cam Neely), but in this particular case, there's also a whole lot of warning signals. I've again listed each player's number of regular season games and his career points per game in the chart below to give a sense of what I'm talking about.

Bo_Horvat.jpg

Frankly, even with the presence of Neely, this is more discouraging than the smaller list of close comparables. Just two players clock in above half a point per game in the NHL, and one of those (Grabner) just barely squeaks over the line. Players with this statistical profile in the CHL just don't generally work out as offensive players once they get to the NHL. Now, the scouting reports all suggest a player who has good skating and is solid defensively, so Horvat may have better odds than the above lists might suggest of making it to the NHL at all, but I'd peg his odds of becoming an impact offensive player as very low.

Now do a list of successful NHL players with comparable numbers.

I bet that is a lot more impressive and closer to in keeping with Horvat's ceiling

Gaunce,Edler,1st,Shinkaruk for Ladd and Wheeler

That is overpayment at its finest, what a terrible deal that would be.

If the Canucks are looking to acquire Ladd then the highest I would go is Gaunce, Sauve, Booth, 2nd (Conditional) and 4th Round Pick.

Keep Horvat and Shinkaruk, put them on the team next year and watch them impress us.

Damn, I really wanted him traded..Could have brought us something to compete. A nice hockey trade to put us in the top ranks of the west. It's past. There's no player I want now that's in realistic grasps. The clock has run out, everyone we should have targeted has become way too good. Untouchable by their GM's..Our only hope is that these prospects will surpass expectations...quickly...

Thank god I'm young, still might be around for the great prize.

No to Bo.

Or any of our top prospects. We are not one or two players away from a cup.

I said this in another thread: Sign or trade for a couple top six forwards (Vanek and Cammalleri for example), inject the youth

Sedin - Sedin - Vanek

Cammalleri - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Gaunce - Richardson - Santorelli

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Garrison

Stanton - Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

Maybe ship Edler, Hansen, and Luongo out for some blue chippers and picks to really help speed up a potential rebuild on the fly

No to Bo.

Or any of our top prospects. We are not one or two players away from a cup.

Well that is completely dependent on which players are added. You could pretty much give 2 of any players in the league to any team and make em a contender. While we won't get such quality, we are also well above a bottom feeder. A couple good players can make a huge difference, even 1 has a big domino effect on every line. All of a sudden, we are stacked. Still, I think that time has gone, all the players im thinking of are pretty much untouchable. Waited too long.

http://www.coppernbl...aft-comparables

Bo_Horvat.jpg

Bo_Horvat.jpg

Bo_Horvat.jpg

Bo_Horvat.jpg

Reductive. For a player who is described as one of the most complete forwards in the draft, this is, ironically, one dimensional.

Now do a list of successful NHL players with comparable numbers.

I bet that is a lot more impressive and closer to in keeping with Horvat's ceiling

I know. He serves up this stupid list by cherry picking a whole pile of 'busts' and adding in a good player or two to make it look legit but the end result doesnt look good for Horvat.

And he expects nobody to notice.

Horvat will get a good look on the 3rd line next year, Shinkaruk I doubt will be in the NHL next year, top 6 forwards usually need development time in the AHL to learn the defensive side of the game and to get the minutes for the tuning of their game.

Either way, no to trading Horvat because he has a good chance at being the 3rd line centre, an important role for a player with a veritable toolset.

Archived