The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Buffalo just bumping Draisaitl's stock in case they lose the lottery. Try to convince every other team that that is who should be picked first, so that their actual pick is still on the board at #2.

Lol bumping his stock?.. To other teams fans maybe. They actually watch these kids. Whoever wins the lotto is not going to listen to another teams media tidbit.

Looking a little closer at Draistl's team stats...

Draistl (105pts) next 2 forwards in scoring have 61 and 44 points respectively.

Dall Colle's (95 pts) next two forwards in scoring: 87 and 73 (Cassels :emot-parrot: ) points respectively

Ehlers (104 pts) next two: 108 and 80 points respectively.

For fun I guess ill throw in Bennett and Reinhart too:

Bennett: (91 pts) next two: 70 and 68 points respectively.

Reinhart: (105 pts) next two: 98 and 77 points respectively.

So based on my in depth analysis.. haha I'd probably take Draistl if Ekblad was taken 1st overall.

I expect Dal Colle to be chosen 4th and Draisaitl to be drafted 5th.

Elhers should go 6th

Sure, after you fill me in if Brett Hull is related to Bobby Hull.

As long as you profile for me the long and illustrious career of Sean Couturier or Ted Lindsay's father. I'll save you the time. Neither had any sort of elongated stint in the NHL. But go ahead, keep telling yourself that William Nylander won't amount to much because of his father.

My stylistic (NOT POTENTIAL) comparisons:

Bennett: Duchene

Reinhart: Nugent-Hopkins

Ekblad: Pietrangelo

Draisaitl: Kopitar

Dal Colle: Bobby Ryan

Perlini: JVR

Ritchie: Lucic (Shanahan is stylistically nice too)

Virtanen: Kane (Evander)

Ehlers: Bure

Fleury: JayBO

McCann: Bergeron

Kapanen and Nylander --> Dont Know

did I say that? its simply a step in the right direction. if we dont draft any scoring forwards we will remain in that position. possibly fall to 30th. is that waht you want?

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Hodgson (now Kassian), Cassels, Mallet, Grenier.

These are pretty much all of our 1st and 2nd rounder since 3-4 years and all we've done since then is fall from 1st in scoring to 28th. Did that change anything?

This year's offense ranking shouldn't dictate what we select in the draft, specially when our top 3 offensive players missed 26 games combined.

I don't mind drafting a forward again, but not because we finished 28th in scoring. If we do, it's because there is nowhere near a defenseman good enough to beat him.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Hodgson (now Kassian), Cassels, Mallet, Grenier.

These are pretty much all of our 1st and 2nd rounder since 3-4 years and all we've done since then is fall from 1st in scoring to 28th. Did that change anything?

This year's offense ranking shouldn't dictate what we select in the draft, specially when our top 3 offensive players missed 26 games combined.

I don't mind drafting a forward again, but not because we finished 28th in scoring. If we do, it's because there is nowhere near a defenseman good enough to beat him.

picked 9th (havent had a chance at the bigs yet, picked low 20s, picked low 20s, picked 29th, traded (one of our best players this season) 2nd round waste of a pick, only consistent ahl forward.

none of thos guys except bo. qas picked in the top 10. we have a chance to draft a forward to play with kesler and be a staple in our top 6 for a long time while giving nothing away. our d core is fairly young and we have decent defenseman on the rise in stanton corrado tanev hutton subban.

forward. end of discussion. if we win the lottery we draft ekbkad and hold him random until Edmonton ponies up. or we trade the pick.

picked 9th (havent had a chance at the bigs yet, picked low 20s, picked low 20s, picked 29th, traded (one of our best players this season) 2nd round waste of a pick, only consistent ahl forward.

none of thos guys except bo. qas picked in the top 10. we have a chance to draft a forward to play with kesler and be a staple in our top 6 for a long time while giving nothing away. our d core is fairly young and we have decent defenseman on the rise in stanton corrado tanev hutton subban.

forward. end of discussion. if we win the lottery we draft ekbkad and hold him random until Edmonton ponies up. or we trade the pick.

Whoever taught you the English language should be ashamed of themselves. You have horrible spelling and punctuation.

My stylistic (NOT POTENTIAL) comparisons:

Bennett: Duchene

Reinhart: Nugent-Hopkins

Ekblad: Pietrangelo

Draisaitl: Kopitar

Dal Colle: Bobby Ryan

Perlini: JVR

Ritchie: Lucic (Shanahan is stylistically nice too)

Virtanen: Kane (Evander)

Ehlers: Bure

Fleury: JayBO

McCann: Bergeron

Kapanen and Nylander --> Dont Know

Nylander maybe Backstrom without the roids, or filip forsberg.

Players that scored around 100 points in the Q in their draft year:

2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau (105 points in 67 games) taken 3rd

- Sean Couturier (96 points in 58 games) taken 8th

2013 - Jonathan Drouin (105 points in 49 games) taken 3rd

2014 - Nikolaj Ehlers (104 points in 63 games)

I know there are things to look at other than numbers but I think Ehlers is a pretty solid at 6th, especially considering the other players likely to be available. However, body type will probably end up being the deciding factor for the Canucks as they already have Shinkaruk with an ectomorph body.

edit: With so many players to choose from, it's going to be fun seeing the results of the combine this year.

Anthony mantha taken 20th

Whoever taught you the English language should be ashamed of themselves. You have horrible spelling and punctuation.

quickly typing quickly on a smartphone. auto correct is kind of letting me down at the moment. please dont publish my posts I guess. now we need not worry about my poor grammar.

I'm feelin a Vancouver #1 overall tomorrow, I'm not a guru but it would only be right for the hockey gods to treat us to the 1st overall after this disastrous season.

I have that optimistic feeling too. My buddy is an Oilers fan if we won the lottery and grabbed Ekblad I'd never live him down haha.

Who is seemingly most NHL ready of the top 10 or so?

Almost no one. Everyone has a question mark.

Reinhart has the ability but he needs to get stronger.

Ekblad can physically. He's better off refining the defensive side of the game and learning to expand his offence as a star in the league.

Draistaitl has the physical and skills package to translate right away but he's till raw defensively.

Ritchie has the body and shot but needs more consistency.

Bennett probably has the most complete game of the bunch.

Ultimately, this year, almost all of these guys should be a year away and spend a year dominating junior. There is little benefit to rush a player into the NHL. It's being done too often IMHO. You should only leave junior/Europe when you have nothing left to learn, or have graduated in age, and there isn't a player that solidly fits that description this year.

Archived