The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The thing that amazes me is that people still reply to Merci seriously.

the regulars that annoy me around here I can tolerate (merci, torontomaplelaughs etc.)

All these "big event" CDCers that come when something big happens and think they know better of the things weve been discussing all year drive me nuts.

I don't quite get the lottery

for example:

in 2011 New Jersey won the draft lottery but only permitted to move up 4 spots from where they were (8th) to (4th) to select that year Adam Larsson.

Why is that btw? If they won the lottery does it not mean they won the first pick and could have selected Ryan Nugent Hopkins?

And would that possile rule apply to us as well that we are only permitted to move a few spots up, or do we actually literally get the first pick of the draft?

Love how in the featured stories at the bottom it says back by popular demand nhl draft lottery simulator. Lol gettin a little used to this Edmonton?

Took me around 20 tries to get van, in that time hurricanes won like 5 times haha. God that would be a piss off

took me about 25-30. Flames the most, then Oilers, then Buffalo.

Sure he could grow to 6' he is either 5'11" or 5'10" we will find out at the draft combine. I doubt he will put on more than an inch if he does grow at all. The issue is his weight coupled with his style of play. It isn't that easy to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle that takes years. He put up good numbers in Europe because 1. it is less physical (which complements his game) and 2. the big ice complements his speed.

Do you really want to see Nylander in a Canucks uniform going up and taking a faceoff against Kopitar, Thorton, Getzlaf, etc?

As a side note: Nylanders highlights videos are not that impressive. He holds onto the puck far too long and did anyone else notice how far out of position some of those goalies were?

He's 5'11 as i have told you numerous times. Also listed at 170 lbs. And stop speaking your mind about the Swedish Leagues because ,as usual, you're way off. "Less physical". Lol. I'm sure the CHL would be sooooo tough for Nylander. It's not like you will find players far under 6'0 dominating those leagues (Nic Petan, Tolchinsky for example).

Yeah the goalies in that league (professional goalies that play hockey for a living) are obviously worse than most of the goalies in the CHL. Totally.

for example:

in 2011 New Jersey won the draft lottery but only permitted to move up 4 spots from where they were (8th) to (4th) to select that year Adam Larsson.

Why is that btw? If they won the lottery does it not mean they won the first pick and could have selected Ryan Nugent Hopkins?

And would that possile rule apply to us as well that we are only permitted to move a few spots up, or do we actually literally get the first pick of the draft?

It used to be you could only move up 4 spots. This is the first year that whoever wins moves up to first regardless of position.

for example:

They changed the rules last year, right after the Oilers had 3 straight 1st overall picks.I believe that's the reason why they changed the rules.

the amount of casual fans around here this past few days is overwhelming dont you think elvis? getting pretty frustrated...

The thing that amazes me is that people still reply to Merci seriously.

I usually don't bother with the usual suspects, the most annoying of which I already have on ignore to save me the trouble. Merci hasn't gotten a full ignore but I usually don't bother with his posts on principle. I guess I just reaffirmed why, but I thought it was a fairly witty reply.

I favour the Renaissance approach though, moderation in all things. I'm not going to overload on size just to try and beat Ana/LA/SJ when Chicago has been managing just fine with a fairly balanced but skill oriented line up.

Uncovered an interesting tidbit about William Nylander.

Apparently, (well, according to a few posters on the HF boards), Nylander has played the North American game before which should help him adjust/transition to the AHL/NHL more easier:

SOURCE: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1646153

IMO I still think we should draft offensive skill over size with our pick. If none of the top 5 slip to 6th then we should go with either Nylander or Ehlers (preferably Nylander as he can be an elite 1C). If and only if we add another draft pick (like Ottawa's 10th overall) we go for the local boy Virtanen, that way we can trend towards a more Bruin-style of hockey while still maintaining top-end skill.

Virtanen - Nylander - Jensen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

If Linden plays his cards right he can set us up offensively for the next decade (assuming our prospects pan out).

This thread has really helped with my knowledge of the potential kids we could be picking. I saw the recent Youtube video of Nylander and now find out that he played most of his hockey in NA. I am starting to like this Nylander kid. Specially if he grows to over 6' and around 200 pounds.

the regulars that annoy me around here I can tolerate (merci, torontomaplelaughs etc.)

All these "big event" CDCers that come when something big happens and think they know better of the things weve been discussing all year drive me nuts.

ya but just regular annoying. not like samjamiam annoying.

Zebras w.e and samjamiam have gotten to u! dont let them crack that kenny powers temper of yours! (in regards to monahan gaunce and suter)

I really hope the Canucks win just to trade the pick to Edmonton (with a prospect) for the fourth overall and Yakupov. I'm pretty sure Edmonton would accept as they would get a potential franchise defenseman. The Canucks should take that because they'd get a future first line center (Bennett/Reinhart/Draisaitl) and a future top line RWer (Yakupov would be re-energized playing for Vancouver).

Archived