The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with Jake, those are very good #s for the Dub. It's the closest comparable jr league to the NHL and it's said that it's the toughest jr league in the world to play in. Ehlers couldn't survive there and if he did, many would see a parallel comparison to Gilbert Brule.

Umm, you might want to actually read the article, which strongly argues for Ehlers over Virtanen.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/18/jake-virtanen-is-good-so-don-t-draft-him

Good read.

I would be extremely happy with either one of Ehlers, Nylander, or Reinhart,

That article is completely useless, they base everything purely on p/pg. There’s more to being a better player than just getting more points.

Ehlers doesn’t change the game outlook. He is a good piece to a team, he’s not the key piece. Kessel and Ovechkin are pieces to a team. But they care more about their own individual numbers rather than try to improve the team. Don’t get me wrong Ovi and Kessel are good players but they are not the difference makers in winning and losing. I would take a Kopitar, Toews, even Landeskog over them any day. They are your heart and soul players and it’s why they are more valuable the just point players. It’s also why they tend to go higher in the draft. If it was just based on points, why even have a draft, why not just assign the top point player to the number 1 pick.

Sam Bennett may not be able to do a pull up but he has the ability to put his team on his back and take the team to the extra mile. He makes his teammates around him better players.

“Virtanen can either become Kyle Beach or Landeskog”???? Why because they put up similar numbers? They are completely different type of players and different playing styles. Why did Beach go 11th when Landeskog go number 2, because there’s more to winning then just putting up high stats. This is the best example of how that write up was a complete joke and waste of time reading.

It's why you actually have to watch the player play a game and see how they react in different game situations and you can’t just base things off of stats. Stats are only one factor.

Not saying Ehlers is worse or better than Virtanen, just stating that using stats as the only means to compare is pure junk

I think you can only speculate about this. But injuries isn't a big enough excuse for me, unless the players are actually out of play. We won 3 very tight games at Rogers Arena against Boston. In TD Garden we lost 3 games, and we weren't even close those games, 8-1 (!) 4-0, 5-2, before we choked in game 7 at home. People might make the simple argument that Luongo wasn't "good enough". Maybe he wasn't at his best, but Luongo wasn't our only problem. Luongo was also the reason why we won 3 games, so it would be kinda wrong to blame it all on him.

Since it seems that Benning is targeting forwards in the first 2 round, i would definitely use a 2nd rounder on him.(He will get picked in the 1st round obviously). Except for Perlini's playoff performance, i think there's a lot to like about his game. I would maybe even roll a 10th overall pick on him if we got it from Anaheim, but for me, that pick depends a lot on who we're picking at 6th. If we picked Nylander at 6th (center), i wouldn't mind Perlini, unless Ritchie or even Ehlers are there at 10th. If we already went with the winger at 6th, i actually wouldn't mind Fabbri (center) at 10th. I think he has superstar potential. People might make the argument that he's too small (5'10), but i don't think that's a concern with him. And it's not like he's got Schroeder-size (5'8). I could see him growing to 5'11, same height as great players such as Crosby and Giroux. Fabbri plays big, he hits, he makes amazing plays (because of his high hockey IQ), he's a great skater, he's got a great shot. Great hands.. Works really hard to create his chances, and works really hard in the defensive-zone (also plays PK for Guelph). Another thing that stands out to me is that he's a very unpredictable player.

General-question to all of you here, since there hasn't been a lot of discussion about Fabbri: Seeing Fabbri being ranked 8th by ISS for an example, do you think there's actually a chance that Benning takes him at 6th? I'm not saying it's likely we will pick him there, but i guess there's always a chance? After all, he might have been Guelph's absolute best player this season, a team that was completely dominant until they fell short to the Oil Kings in the Memorial Cup Final. The reason i ask is because i think Fabbri fits right into Benning's drafting criteria. Except for those abilities that i mentioned, i think he's got some great character. He's a winner that steps up when it matters.

You know that is a concern of mine I like fabbri, but taking him at 6 is too high, it worries me because of the article by Tyson on Canucks website!

I would prefer to trade down then take him if he was our target, would be funny to draft 2 yrs in a row the ohl playoff MVP!

If we get the tenth pick from Anaheim I wouldn't mind taking him at 10 depending on who's available.

He has been rising in everyone's books all year.

I'm pretty sure Bergeron was playing with a broken rib, punctured lung and something else. I seem to remember him having to go to the hospital after the final.

Not in 2011, that was 2013. Maybe that's why there's the confusion if that's what people are thinking.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675328

Patrice Bergeron played 17:45 in the Boston Bruins' 3-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final. After an effort like that in the last game of the season, Bergeron deserved a long night's rest at home. However, he didn't get to go home.

The Bruins on Wednesday revealed that Bergeron was taken to a local hospital after the game for observation after he was diagnosed with a punctured lung. As the rest of his teammates went through their exit interviews with coach Claude Julien and general manager Peter Chiarelli, Bergeron remained hospitalized.

I think you can only speculate about this. But injuries isn't a big enough excuse for me, unless the players are actually out of play. We won 3 very tight games at Rogers Arena against Boston. In TD Garden we lost 3 games, and we weren't even close those games, 8-1 (!) 4-0, 5-2, before we choked in game 7 at home. People might make the simple argument that Luongo wasn't "good enough". Maybe he wasn't at his best, but Luongo wasn't our only problem. Luongo was also the reason why we won 3 games, so it would be kinda wrong to blame it all on him.

Technically it's not speculation when we have all the reported injuries for both teams after the playoffs ended. And we did have players actually out of play: Hamhuis was early on, Samuelsson earlier still in the playoffs, and Raymond as well nearer the end of the series. You can't overlook Rome as our depth replacement on D also out early in the series with the ludicrous suspension.

Boston lost Horton in the series, and had Savard out all season (but him being out enabled them to be able to get Horton under the cap, so you can't count both). That's it. They would have had to had injuries to Seidenberg (Hamhuis), Horton (Samuelsson), Ryder later in the series (Raymond) and Boychuck out most of the series with a suspension for his hit on Raymond (Rome). And that's just the players not playing because of injury, never mind the ones still in the line up like Henrik, Ehrhoff and Kesler coming into the series hurt.

But again I'm getting sidetracked. As far as Fabbri, I doubt he goes as high as our 6th but I could see someone picking him top 10. If we went for more size and grit with the 6th I wouldn't have an issue with Fabbri later if we did get the 10th from Anaheim.

Same here, I'm in the same boat as you and Elvis. No chance I would take him with our 1st or 2nd, probably wouldn't even with our 3rd.

When people have him getting picked by us in any of the early rounds, I always feel like they've got 'local kid' goggles on - yet he's not from BC at all. Don't know why people like him.

Interesting for sure.

QoC would be another interesting comparison. I don't think either Virtanen or Ehlers played against other teams top lines on a regular basis.

Whereas Dal Colle was playing against top players almost every night.

According to Josh W on Canucks army:

"On QoC/QoT for Ehlers vs. Drouin.

Ehlers faces tougher competition (12.51) vs Drouin (12.37). Ehlers also had weaker teammates (14.26) vs Drouin (14.69).

Those QoC/QoT measurements are based on average ES TOI for all opposing skaters."

When people have him getting picked by us in any of the early rounds, I always feel like they've got 'local kid' goggles on - yet he's not from BC at all. Don't know why people like him.

I think it's because "Ho Sang" is kind of fun to say :lol:

Ehlers faces tougher competition (12.51) vs Drouin (12.37). Ehlers also had weaker teammates (14.26) vs Drouin (14.69).

Those QoC/QoT measurements are based on average ES TOI for all opposing skaters."

I can make up numbers too. Again they based the competition based on stats and not actually playing styles. Kesler likely plays against more opposing teams first line players does that mean he plays against tougher competition compared to the twin who get stuck against a pure defensive minded line.

I wonder was mcsorley's rating was. means wayne must have had weaker linemates. Oh wait one player served the player another purpose allowing him more freedom. The numbers they posted are completely useless, that entire article was useless.

I can make up numbers too. Again they based the competition based on stats and not actually playing styles. Kesler likely plays against more opposing teams first line players does that mean he plays against tougher competition compared to the twin who get stuck against a pure defensive minded line.

I wonder was mcsorley's rating was. means wayne must have had weaker linemates. Oh wait one player served the player another purpose allowing him more freedom. The numbers they posted are completely useless, that entire article was useless.

Let me sure I'm understanding you:

You don't like the article. :P

Was there a stat that showed half the QMJHL teams would be average at best in the BCHL?

I believe any of the top end guys in this years draft would have torched the Q.

And I know it's only one game, but Ehlers was a no show - other then a couple of blueline to blueline rushes - at the prospects game.

I think Ehlers will be a good player, but I can't see him being a first line player in the NHL.

That site recently has dove right into the advanced stats which are useless without context. At the end of the day, simply watching the player play, esp. in key situations, reveals more about the player's potential than anything. I found Drouin to be capable of controlling the play in key situations, distributing the puck swiftly and accurately while Ehlers hung onto the puck too much, fell down and turned it over in similar situations. You can easily tell who the better prospect is.

That NYI article above mentions Dal Colle's skating as a major issue. I agree that he's noticably slower than Virtanen (who isn't?), but is he a potential underachiever because of his lack of speed and relatively slight size? If he doesn't want to be a Canuck anyway, I can see Vancouver passing on him to draft Virtanen, as what has been predicted on a mock list i vaguely remember seeing.

To me Virtanen is the obvious pick if available.

That site recently has dove right into the advanced stats which are useless without context. At the end of the day, simply watching the player play, esp. in key situations, reveals more about the player's potential than anything. I found Drouin to be capable of controlling the play in key situations, distributing the puck swiftly and accurately while Ehlers hung onto the puck too much, fell down and turned it over in similar situations. You can easily tell who the better prospect is.

That NYI article above mentions Dal Colle's skating as a major issue. I agree that he's noticably slower than Virtanen (who isn't?), but is he a potential underachiever because of his lack of speed and relatively slight size? If he doesn't want to be a Canuck anyway, I can see Vancouver passing on him to draft Virtanen, as what has been predicted on a mock list i vaguely remember seeing.

To me Virtanen is the obvious pick if available.

Or nylander

They talked a bit about Ehlers on the Fan960 with Sam Cosentino. He said the biggest concern about Ehlers is that he has to add 15 pounds just to be a smallish forward in the NHL. And how does and smallish guy match up against the Thorntons, Kopitars and Toews of the NHL.

No they didnt. You are making it up off the top of your head. Some fan asked that question but they did not agree with him.

He is 6ft and 176 pounds now. Almost the exact same size as Mac Kinnon and Sam Bennett.

Was there a stat that showed half the QMJHL teams would be average at best in the BCHL?

I believe any of the top end guys in this years draft would have torched the Q.

And I know it's only one game, but Ehlers was a no show - other then a couple of blueline to blueline rushes - at the prospects game.

I think Ehlers will be a good player, but I can't see him being a first line player in the NHL.

Ok if 49 goals and 104 points in a league that scores slightly less than the OHL will not result in a first line player, then who will?

How good would the guy have to be to secure one of the 90 first line positions in the NHL? The guy is 6ft and 176 pounds now.

When you guys write ridiculous stuff like this, it really makes me wonder what the actual motive is. You certainly arent being objective about the guy.

Sam Bennett got 91 points in 57 games , is 6ft and 182 pounds but he is 3rd or 4th overall? Ehlers and his 104 points isnt good enough? That is ridiculous.

Ok if 49 goals and 104 points in a league that scores slightly less than the OHL will not result in a first line player, then who will?

How good would the guy have to be to secure one of the 90 first line positions in the NHL? The guy is 6ft and 176 pounds now.

When you guys write ridiculous stuff like this, it really makes me wonder what the actual motive is. You certainly arent being objective about the guy.

Sam Bennett got 91 points in 57 games , is 6ft and 182 pounds but he is 3rd or 4th overall? Ehlers and his 104 points isnt good enough? That is ridiculous.

Bennett is a consensus top 3 for a reason. Landeskog put up 66 points in 53 games and was drafted 2nd overall. Points are not everything. Bennett has no weaknesses while Ehlers is a one dimensional player. Despite his size, Bennett shows a lot of bite and does not back down. The same can't be said about Ehlers.

Archived