The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Art of Chanting - What to do next home game?

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just want to make my own position clear. Of all the chants one could think of, Canucks fans probably made one of the worst choices out there. "We want Lu". Another goalie controversy, making Luongo look really sad and really mistreated, while also making the fans look like complete a-holes for mistreating Lack at the same time.

As fans, we haven't treated Luongo well AT ALL. "Cheering for Schneider" when Lu would get pulled is the second most pathetic excuse I've heard in sports. #1 came today when people apparently were raging at the "staff and management". A lot of people here on the forum were at the game, and some took part in the chant. Others have already called the fans out, asking why they started the chant three goals in. And apparently Lack is deaf.

I don't think the Canucks fanbase is very good. Clearly there are still a lot of hardcore and diehard fans, and they're sticking with a struggling franchise. But here's what happens when fans start doing goalie chants.

rtroydetroit.jpg

When the team was struggling, the fans jeered at Roy, the fans jeered at Luongo when he got chased, and now they're asking Lu to go back in net. No pride.

This is how you get staff and management fired.

Two years later...

And he did end up getting fired.

Do we still like Luongo? Then cheer for him when he starts, not when he relieves a struggling goalie. Do we actually like Lack? Then don't cheer for another goalie after he gives up three goals. Do we ACTUALLY hate the staff and management? Then start a "Fire MG/Torts" chant. Call for their heads IN-GAME. It will work eventually. And the media will not grill us fans for starting a "Fire Gillis" chant. I don't think he's liked in the league, Don Cherry seems to hate him, the Hotstove hates him, we hate him. I think a "Fire Torts" is still premature, but with today and the Calgary thing, he's earned it too.

The next home game will be a test for Vancouver fans. It's their one big chance to make a response to the media. Posting on the forum after the game is meaningless. Calling in on TEAM 1040 postgame is meaningless. Starting chants will go on YouTube and make the headlines.

Chants are nice but doubt there will be one next game. Today was especially loud cause of the venue and big quantity of seats for fans. Was a true hockey atmosphere...back to Rogers Arena, more business guys will be there per usual and sit without paying attention.

Lack and Luongo have been the least of this team's problems and deserve absolutely no ill will or ire from the fans. I will be personally disgusted if either one of them get booed for no reason.

If the fans are angry at Gillis or Tortorella, then they should receive the chants. I would wait until after the trade deadline to decide which one deserves it more, but it already looks like Gillis is going to get the brunt of it.

Archived