The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kesler is still a Canuck

Derp...

While I agree, it's probably not a good idea to post a picture with swearing in it. It's a family site you know!

That's not a swear word elvis. It's a synonym for poo.

That's the one 'swear' word my Mom would use when I was a youngster - that and "dumb-apple".

Hard to take the potential impact of that word on the children very seriously.

franks-red-hot1.jpg

RK17 is gonna stay, I can feel it. He's home now and watched Jensen play, he's obviously wondering is he'd be a suitable winger. Jensen is the most driven rookie I've seen since Hodgson, and Jensen is more of a shoot first type. Might clash with Kes there, but it just means we throw a sick passer like Kass on that line.

Why does it have to be a center coming back? Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels.........all centers....

I'd be happy to get a scoring winger, either a young roster player, or a blue chip prospect.

Well Bobby Mac/Friedman, all those dudes said the asking price was a centre++. Also, Kesler is a tough mins centre. Unless Horvat, Gance or Cassels are Couturier_v2 in their rookie yr, then they still need another tough min centre in return. The likelihood of them being the next Couturier are the same as Canucks making the playoffs this yr.

So, the general consensus is that Kesler does in fact want out of Vancouver?

Guess it depends who you believe. Personally, I think there was some wishy-wash of Kesler saying he wanted out. If Torts gets canned, perhaps that changes?

We picked up Mathias.

It does give us scope to target a PMD, dynamic winger or both. Organizationally, these were bigger needs anyway. We just could not get by without a center so as to not over rely on Horvat, Gaunce or Schroeder next year.

Ya, I think a tough mins centre is a bigger need than a PMD or dynamic winger if Kes goes. They'd look like Edm up front if they don't get one. Goc is the only tough min UFA this summer, so they need to acquire one via trade IMO.

Well Bobby Mac/Friedman, all those dudes said the asking price was a centre++. Also, Kesler is a tough mins centre. Unless Horvat, Gance or Cassels are Couturier_v2 in their rookie yr, then they still need another tough min centre in return. The likelihood of them being the next Couturier are the same as Canucks making the playoffs this yr.

I think the talk about a center was mostly based on the reports that Pittsburgh had offered Sutter, plus prospects, but that's neither here nor there.

If the point is to make the playoffs in this season or next, then the right thing to do is to keep Kesler. There isn't another center that we can acquire who will replace his minutes, at his position.

However, if the team feels (as many fans do) that a rebuild is in order, then it makes absolute sense to divide those minutes up between guys like Santorelli, Richardson and those young players already mentioned. If a center like Sutter is acquired in the deal, then he could be thrown into the mix as well.

Lets not forget: It's next season where we really would benefit with a lottery pick. Connor McDavid is one of those players who comes along once in a decade at best.

I don't think you're gonna get a really good centre in a Kesler trade unless philly offers up Schenn. Teams are going to trade from an area of strength to boost their centre depth. If they already have a tough mins centre, why go for Kesler?

To really win the deal we gotta accept an outstanding player at another position. Then figure our centre problems out later. I for one, am all for it. If Kesler can get us a blue chip dman and a first round pick, we can then turn around and flip a veteran dman and or package for the centre we need. Then slot the rookie dman in his place.

I don't think you're gonna get a really good centre in a Kesler trade unless philly offers up Schenn. Teams are going to trade from an area of strength to boost their centre depth. If they already have a tough mins centre, why go for Kesler?

To really win the deal we gotta accept an outstanding player at another position. Then figure our centre problems out later. I for one, am all for it. If Kesler can get us a blue chip dman and a first round pick, we can then turn around and flip a veteran dman and or package for the centre we need. Then slot the rookie dman in his place.

Ideally they could sign Stastny as a UFA and the options open up wide.

On the other hand, barring a UFA, and other moves, there are still a few teams that could conceivably move a center and be interested in an upgrade.

Both St Louis and Columbus are deep down the middle but could nevertheless be interested.

Backes, Berglund, Roy, Sobotka, Ott, Lapierre.

Johansen, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Letestu, Jenner and a whack of depth fillins.

I could see St Louis wanting a better one two punch with Kesler and Backes, and being able to move a center. I'd take Sobotka and Schwartz.

Likewise - I could see the CBJ wanting to add a premier veteran two way center like Kesler to complement Johansen. I'd be happy with a Dubinsky, Jenner deal.

Ideally they could sign Stastny as a UFA and the options open up wide.

On the other hand, barring a UFA, and other moves, there are still a few teams that could conceivably move a center and be interested in an upgrade.

Both St Louis and Columbus are deep down the middle but could nevertheless be interested.

Backes, Berglund, Roy, Sobotka, Ott, Lapierre.

Johansen, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Letestu, Jenner and a whack of depth fillins.

I could see St Louis wanting a better one two punch with Kesler and Backes, and being able to move a

center. I'd take Sobotka and Schwartz.

Likewise - I could see the CBJ wanting to add a premier veteran two way center like Kesler to complement Johansen. I'd be happy with a Dubinsky, Jenner deal.

I will be watching playoffs this year with an interest in who might be a trade partner. The beauty of

this situation is anyone who comes up short of winning the CUP are potential partners. I particularly

want Pitt and Philly to crash and burn for a Kesler deal. I want the Wings to miss playoffs in hopes

that Edler will waive his NTC to play with the Swedish contingent there.

Who said that not making playoffs makes for a boring spring?

I will be watching playoffs this year with an interest in who might be a trade partner. The beauty of

this situation is anyone who comes up short of winning the CUP are potential partners. I particularly

want Pitt and Philly to crash and burn for a Kesler deal. I want the Wings to miss playoffs in hopes

that Edler will waive his NTC to play with the Swedish contingent there.

Who said that not making playoffs makes for a boring spring?

Philly will have more cap to work with in the summer - making a potential deal less complicated.

Imo it's Couturier or forgedaboudit - Couturier and Hagg.

The price for Pittsburgh went up.

Ya, I think a tough mins centre is a bigger need than a PMD or dynamic winger if Kes goes. They'd look like Edm up front if they don't get one. Goc is the only tough min UFA this summer, so they need to acquire one via trade IMO.

We've had Nazzy, Mogilny and Sundstrom, plus Bure as dynamic a winger as they come. Hank, Bert, Linden, Danny. All of them best in the game, or close to it, forwards in their peak.

But in 40 odd (is it 45?) years we have never had a Scott Niedermayer. No one remotely close.

So there is a wish involved to see this kind of talent at least once in my lifetime as a Canuck fan.

But on the practical side, we can groom guys already in our system to be tough minute centers. Hopefully close anyway. Horvat, Gaunce, maybe Cassels with longer odds. Spend our assets to fill needs we don't potentially already have in our prospect pool.

We've had Nazzy, Mogilny and Sundstrom, plus Bure as dynamic a winger as they come. Hank, Bert, Linden, Danny. All of them best in the game, or close to it, forwards in their peak.

But in 40 odd (is it 45?) years we have never had a Scott Niedermayer. No one remotely close.

So there is a wish involved to see this kind of talent at least once in my lifetime as a Canuck fan.

But on the practical side, we can groom guys already in our system to be tough minute centers. Hopefully close anyway. Horvat, Gaunce, maybe Cassels with longer odds. Spend our assets to fill needs we don't potentially already have in our prospect pool.

We had Paul Reinhart but he was already 30 and in decline by then. I would say he is the closest we have ever had to a true franchise defenseman since Dale Tallon tanked.

I am 100% sold on Mantha. I would 100% support Gillis if he did Mantha and 2015 1st. Kids got ubber talent.

What do you all think

Call me crazy but I think that would only improve Manthas confidence. maybe im just crazy :D

Archived