The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

The problem I have with this is this pretty much supports my previous posts.

1) "Find a better goalie" = "magically fix the problem". It's not that simple. If it was, don't you think that would have happened already?

2) It's easy to ponder if x goalie would be better than our situation now; however, the problem is we don't know and, like I said earlier, with the defense we have, do you really think McElhinney is going to be any better seeing 35 shots per game average? And this is only after 3 games without injuries on defense. What's that shot total going to look like when we get injuries?

3) What competition were you expecting? Like I've said over and over, we have no defense. We don't have a good team. Why would there be competition at the moment? (aside from merely holding onto a roster spot)

4) This doesn't create any problem for Demko. If he's not ready next year, he can still spend another year in the AHL next year. It's not hard to sign another backup goalie at that point or (the horror) sign Nilsson to one more year. If he is ready, I would be more concerned about our defense than Markstrom. That would be the real issue, so I don't even see how complaining about Markstrom has anything to do with Demko. Demko's not being rushed clearly, otherwise he would be up here now with the same crappy defense.

5) Gagner was beat out of a job so I don't know if I'm reading that sentence.... correctly?....

6) Picking up McElhinney, a backup goalie, doesn't really make much of a statement in my opinion. A backup goalie to replace a backup goalie....um... yay? I guess I just see it as an unnecessary sideways movement. We have just as much of a chance of Markstrom getting better as we do McElhinney being any better.

7) To answer your question: Right now, we are at the bottom of the league in terms of expectations; therefore, why should we be critical? Solving our goalie situation doesn't help us at the moment; let alone unlikely to even be possible as I mentioned earlier. We have Demko in the prospect pool. We even have Dipietro in the pool.  Our solution is down the road. Not now. So, again, why complain?

You say you're not "buying" my argument, but I haven't really seen anything here that really any better than what we have. I'm not convinced on McElhinney or other waived goalies, especially when the likelihood of this getting fixed in a year or 2 is pretty good.

it seems that I am arguing against compacency and you are arguing for it.

You also blame everything on the defense.

1 magical fix, that is actually Jim's job. If you want to call it magical so as to make me sound like a loon that is fine, but in reality finding a better goalie is jim's job. Interestingly you seem to think that the magical fix comes in 2 years. If Demko is not ready in 2 years this current core will have been losing for 6-7 years before the next magical fix comes in. Magical fixes Halak, Hutton, Ward, Sateri, Hutchison, Hammonator or on D, Kulak...

2 its even easier for you to just throw your hands in the air and say, "Can't do it" because you are complacent enough to accept the losing.

3 the goalie and D that Jim did not sign. He did sign some forwards and lo and behold there was some competition.

4 Markstrom was gifted the starter spot when Miller wasn't resigned, now you seem to be gifting the spot, back up at least, to Demko.

5 Gagner and Gaunce were beaten by Motte et al and no one wanted either of them, McElhinny and Pickard were beaten by Sparkes, another young guy, but they were still usefull to other teams, but not according to you, to the Canucks. Because well, we just suck and there is no better answer.

6 if McElhinny is better than Nilsson it says 2 things, we will find a better player if you suck Anders, and to the team it says we will find better players, not let you wallow in front of poor goaltending.

7 I'd like to hear you walk into the players dressing room and tell Bo and Elias that. "We are just gonna suck for 2 more years, so I'm not going to bother fixing the goalie problem. You just sit tight and play the right way, while I sit on my hand and wait for Demko, or maybe DePietro." That is what you are preaching, it goes against everything Jim has said in the past about winning culture etc.

I say we are embaring on a "Losing Culture" while you say, "We suck, it can't be helped for 2 years"

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

What exactly were you expecting of him? This team wasn't going to be good to begin with. The defense in front of him is extremely lackluster.

I don't think he's a good goalie but, right now, almost any goalie would look like trash back there. Don't blame him.

The things that some people on this board complain about just baffles me at times. Yeah, let's just magically throw in a good goalie! Problem solved! :wacko:

yah that and the fact that there's obviously a plethora of fantastic goalies waiting to be plucked up, eager to play in front of our awesome d.. like exactly where is benning supposed to find this goalie?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Yea im down...give them markstrom back. I do that deal in a heartbeat.

10 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Yea im down...give them markstrom back. I do that deal in a heartbeat.

even with the torn mcl..?

better get schneids back too then.. just for support

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, lmm said:

1 magical fix, that is actually Jim's job. If you want to call it magical so as to make me sound like a loon that is fine, but in reality finding a better goalie is jim's job. Interestingly you seem to think that the magical fix comes in 2 years. If Demko is not ready in 2 years this current core will have been losing for 6-7 years before the next magical fix comes in. Magical fixes Halak, Hutton, Ward, Sateri, Hutchison, Hammonator or on D, Kulak...

2 its even easier for you to just throw your hands in the air and say, "Can't do it" because you are complacent enough to accept the losing.

3 the goalie and D that Jim did not sign. He did sign some forwards and lo and behold there was some competition.

4 Markstrom was gifted the starter spot when Miller wasn't resigned, now you seem to be gifting the spot, back up at least, to Demko.

5 Gagner and Gaunce were beaten by Motte et al and no one wanted either of them, McElhinny and Pickard were beaten by Sparkes, another young guy, but they were still usefull to other teams, but not according to you, to the Canucks. Because well, we just suck and there is no better answer.

6 if McElhinny is better than Nilsson it says 2 things, we will find a better player if you suck Anders, and to the team it says we will find better players, not let you wallow in front of poor goaltending.

7 I'd like to hear you walk into the players dressing room and tell Bo and Elias that. "We are just gonna suck for 2 more years, so I'm not going to bother fixing the goalie problem. You just sit tight and play the right way, while I sit on my hand and wait for Demko, or maybe DePietro." That is what you are preaching, it goes against everything Jim has said in the past about winning culture etc.

I say we are embaring on a "Losing Culture" while you say, "We suck, it can't be helped for 2 years"

It's not 'complacency' it's simply reality. We're a bottom 10, rebuilding team with a presently dog's breakfast for a D core, because we're again, rebuilding. This is the part where people say 'you need patience for a rebuild' comes in. You don't fix this stuff overnight. 

Now by all means, that's going to change at an ever increasing pace as Juolevi comes on board likely later this year and Hughes next year (and perhaps some other players like Briesebois make the jump/other moves are perhaps made to acquire other D via UFA, trade etc...)

But for now, at this point in time, all the whining and whinging in the world isn't going to change the facts that we're a rebuilding team with  a bunch of soon to be cast off stop gaps on D that would make Jonathan Quick look mediocre most nights.

There's a reason Nilsson could look so good and win a gold medal with SWE's team, and in particular all world defense, playing front of him. It's not an accident.

4 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

yah that and the fact that there's obviously a plethora of fantastic goalies waiting to be plucked up, eager to play in front of our awesome d.. like exactly where is benning supposed to find this goalie?

It seems like people think there's just a bunch of UFA 1A starters sitting around waiting at home for the Canucks to call. Or that some team's 3rd or 4th string waiver cast off is actually some sort of improvement over even Nillsson, let alone Markstrom :picard:

Edited by aGENT

13 hours ago, lmm said:

1) I'm not making is sound like a loon, I'm saying it IS a loon. Just because you think he should be finding a better goalie doesn't mean he should. In your opinion he should, but opinions are not obligations. The CDC mentality is typically "I am an expert more than Benning and he should do exactly what I want". Except that couldn't be farther from the truth. Especially if nothing all that feasible is said with it, and I haven't really seen anything feasible to support your side. Not only that, it's only 3 games. Seriously, 3 games??? It's more overreacting and over-exaggerating an issue than a Trump speech....

2) If you can't handle losing this season, find another team to cheer for. I'm not complacent about this at all. I'm looking at what we have and I know we can't just simply improve things. It's unrealistic to think that in my opinion. It's easy to say "fix it!" It's harder to actually fix it. If you don't understand that. I can't help you.

3) Ah I see, so it's one of these "he did not sign such and such and my opinion is far superior to his" arguments. I think I'm starting to understand you now. Again.... it's not your call and I don't see how your call makes the team better. I just don't. You want to focus on adding in another goalie; meanwhile, we don't have the Sedins anymore, Edler is aging, we traded away Burrows, etc. We are clearly in rebuild mode, yet we're going to just nitpick this one little thing on the team until we're blue in the face?

4) So what did you want to happen when Miller didn't get resigned? Magically find another goalie? Again? You have yet to give me a solid plan to not make this all seem more wishful thinking rather than realistic. I've already addressed this earlier so hopefully you see what I would continue to say in this point.

5) This is just putting words in my mouth for no reason. I didn't say they weren't useful. They are useful to teams that need them, in this case teams with injuries. Goalie injuries were why they were picked up. They will likely be sent down later on in the season or put on the waiver wire. We are not in that situation.

6) This is incorrect. It doesn't say any of that. It says "we don't have a good goalie tandem so to show we don't know what we're doing we're going to throw in another bad goalie tandem". This is how the goalie graveyard happened back before Luongo: through your methodology.

7) Again, words in my mouth. I'm not telling the players to suck. I want the players to stay competitive, but competitiveness does not lead to wins by itself. If you have a bad team you have a bad team and you need to keep their hopes up during the process. Throwing in a new goalie does the opposite of this. Essentially, it's you wanting to throw in a new goalie that will tell the players "we are going to suck for the next while. As a result, we will not give our goalies a chance and will keep throwing in random goalies in order to make the backend more unstable".

There's a difference between being in tune to reality by knowing we have a bad team and a losing culture. We don't have a losing culture. We have a bad team. Learn the difference. Replacing a  goalie after 3 games leads to a losing culture. It makes the team less competitive because there is no support from the GM back there because the GM's too busy replacing the goalie every 3 games due to overreacting....

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Given his history, that shouldn't take too long :lol: Can't wait to read the hysteria when it happens :frantic:

:lol:

I think fans are jumping ship on Marky way too fast. He's had a bad two games. It's not like he's been bad for a whole month or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alex Auld on Jacob Markstrom:

"Quite frankly my last season here in Vancouver I played too much. It's such a grind and what we know with advanced stats you're better off playing your backup on back to back nights. I get the decision but, it's about the big picture."

"Playing this much is tough on all the players but especially Markstrom. He has shown he does better with a break to re-adjust and re-focus."

"With how much they have been out of the Pacific time zone, the one risk is they are one injury away from calling up DiPietro on emergency. With the lack of goal-tending depth, it really is risky business. "

I've noticed Markstrom occasionally wincing/slow to get up for a good 4'ish games now. He's clearly playing through some nagging issue at the moment. Nilsson (and Demko for that matter) can't get healthy soon enough.

Maybe picking up Condon for a few weeks wouldn't have been the worst idea...