The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

We need to either re-sign or move Marky this coming year. And if we re-sign Marky, there's not particularly a short term need or fit for Demko. And then two years from now, whichever goalie we leave unprotected either goes for free in the ED or is traded below market value due to ED market pressures.

Or we can package one to fill an existing team need (likely somewhat dependent on who we draft in the 1st/lotto balls) and sign a vet UFA to fill in and expose in the ED.

You cannot, should not anyway, vacate your team of all its good players because we will lose one to expansion. Nor fill a need by creating another.

Who is to say Demko wont beat Markstrom for a starters role out of camp this fall, next fall? There is a lot of hockey to play. Injuries could happen. We also just signed Kielly. Have DiPietro in the development tube incubating.  Once we have had a solid look at Demko, know where these others are, I don't want to give up on him too early, maybe next deadline is the earliest I would feel any pressure to make a decision.     

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You cannot, should not anyway, vacate your team of all its good players because we will lose one to expansion. Nor fill a need by creating another.

Who is to say Demko wont beat Markstrom for a starters role out of camp this fall, next fall? There is a lot of hockey to play. Injuries could happen. We also just signed Kielly. Have DiPietro in the development tube incubating.  Once we have had a solid look at Demko, know where these others are, I don't want to give up on him too early, maybe next deadline is the earliest I would feel any pressure to make a decision.     

Who said anything about 'all'?

IMO, the 'need' will be created either by our own doing or the ED. May as well get ahead of it. That's why.

By all means I'm open to moving either goalie. Doesn't have to be Demko. I leave that in management's hands.

As for the timeline, if you wait until mid season next year, the pool of perfectly capable vet UFA's this summer capable of backing up for Marky/playing tandem for Demko will be the equivalent of picking through the leftover scraps in the bargain bin at a Black Friday sale by mid season.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who said anything about 'all'?

IMO, the 'need' will be created either by our own doing or the ED. May as well get ahead of it. That's why.

By all means I'm open to moving either goalie. Doesn't have to be Demko. I leave that in management's hands.

As for the timeline, if you wait until mid season next year, the pool of perfectly capable vet UFA's this summer capable of backing up for Marky/playing tandem for Demko will be the equivalent of picking through the leftover scraps in the bargain bin at a Black Friday sale by mid season.

LOL

Like signing Nilsson? Yes, there are quality UFA's on the market every summer. But you don't always win the bidding that signs the right one.

Sorry, we spent 5 full years developing Demko. So we would not have to go back the market.

I'm not ready to trade either.  

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As was proven with Vegas, there are numerous ways in which a team can protect their assets in the ED.

I'd much prefer JB pay Seattle off with another asset if in fact Marky proves he's the real deal (remember, he's really only had 1 very good season in his entire career) and/or Demko proves he's definitively on the path to 'starter status'. 

Draft picks are risks no matter which way you look at it or who is choosing them.  If Marky and/or Demko both prove they're legit then keeping them over a draft pick or a fringe prospect/borderline roster player is not inconceivable imo. 

Just now, Fanuck said:

As was proven with Vegas, there are numerous ways in which a team can protect their assets in the ED.

I'd much prefer JB pay Seattle off with another asset if in fact Marky proves he's the real deal (remember, he's really only had 1 very good season in his entire career) and/or Demko proves he's definitively on the path to 'starter status'. 

Draft picks are risks no matter which way you look at it or who is choosing them.  If Marky and/or Demko both prove they're legit then keeping them over a draft pick or a fringe prospect/borderline roster player is not inconceivable imo. 

The cost would have to be more reasonable than it's likely to be. Most GM's figured out they were likely better off just losing a player than losing two assets.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think the idea is that if we just let Marky's contract run out and switch to Demko, we lose him for nothing, which isn't great.

But that’s an assumption that Seattle will automatically take one of our goalies. That also the assumption that both goalies continue in their upward trajectory and are both appealing to other teams. There’s also the assumption the either goalie has decent trade value right now. Looking around the league I’m not sure you getting much back for either. 

This is likely a little bit of us overvaluing our players compared to what else is around the league. Its good to plan ahead but there’s far too many assumptions to actually commit to a decision. 

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is likely a little bit of us overvaluing our players compared to what else is around the league.

What.....that literally never happens on CDC, I mean never.......lol.....:lol:

• Haha 3

On 4/2/2019 at 7:23 PM, aGENT said:

Makes a lot of sense actually if they view Markstrom as their starter for the next 5 +/- years.

Sure...why not make a 29 year old your starter when he has only shown he may be able to do that in the last few months.

Do you purposely try to stir up s%^& lol?

Sign Marky to a 3 year  5 mill per extension year this summer.

Team and player take some risk and meet half way. He doesn't have a lot of mileage on his body. 

Usually goalies sv% starts dropping when they hit 30 yrs age. But Marky is a Viking and became a starter 2 years ago. So he'll be ok. 

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Sign Marky to a 3 year  5 mill per extension year this summer.

Team and player take some risk and meet half way. He doesn't have a lot of mileage on his body. 

Usually goalies sv% starts dropping when they hit 30 yrs age. But Marky is a Viking and became a starter 2 years ago. So he'll be ok. 

Without digging into the stats, I'd say that goalie is the one position where being 30+ means nothing. Many seem to peak in the 30+ part of their careers.

• Upvote 2

On 4/3/2019 at 11:10 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't understand why we trade either at this point?

Our succession plan has Demko possibly competing as starter next year. And Markstrom's contract expiring.

Sounds perfect right?

BTW, I'm excited Markstrom has grabbed hold of the starters job for now. But lets keep performance in context > he's got a 0.913 save % on the year. More or less at the tail end of 15 goalies who are ''middle of the pack!''  But TWENTY SIXTH in the league if your picking hairs. Which I am?

And my point is he has helped us win some games. But is not playing at a level, see Patrick Roy, single handedly wills his team to, and through a play off year. And he's 29.

My own take is let him start the season & see if he holds on to his starters job. I do think he will FTR. Then offer him a 3 or 4 year deal. When we see what we really have in both Demko & Marky.

He'll also be worth more at the deadline, if he's playing well, than he will in summer. If he has not signed. If he's not playing well? Who cares...

I do know why it is being proposed? The same guys who were worried we would lose Leipsic on waivers are stacking cards in front of any exposure loss to Seattle 2 years from now.  OMGZ! :frantic:

Its too early for that.

Chill & lets enjoy the next year or so of goalie development!

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-canucks-have-felt-the-love-from-jacob-markstrom-this-season/wcm/609f10c5-396c-4823-877d-4ffd20320731

Ed Willes: Canucks have felt the love from Jacob Markstrom this season

Jacob Markstrom has embraced change this season and it's made him an elite goaltender

ED WILLES
Updated: April 2, 2019

It’s a given that Jacob Markstrom has enjoyed a breakout season with the Vancouver Canucks, and that’s reflected in any number of statistical categories which measure a goalie’s performance.

There’s the obvious. On a team that was 23rd overall before Tuesday night’s games, Markstrom sat 10th in the league in wins. His 59 games also place him sixth in the NHL. He ranks fifth in saves and shots faced. And if you’re into fancy stats, there’s a metric out there which states Markstrom is top-five in goals saved for his team.

You can easily make the case, in fact, that Markstrom has been one of the 10 best goalies in the NHL this season which, considering his history, is a notable development for both the player and the team.

But it’s funny. When asked about his prized student’s season, Canucks goalie coach Ian Clark doesn’t rattle off numbers or data or any of the other measurables which are employed in today’s game. Rather, he talks about the emotional connection which has grown between Markstrom and his teammates; that stirring in the heart which you usually don’t associate with hockey players but Clark maintains is crucial to the complicated relationship between a goalie and his club.

It’s a crazy little thing called love. And this year Markstrom and the Canucks have fallen for each other in a big way.

“I tell goalies, if you truly want to be elite, part of the formula is to have your teammates love you,” Clark said during a private moment on Tuesday. “It’s just human nature. When he’s bailed you out after you’ve made a mistake, they will put a wall up in front of you, and that’s worth something.

“There’s a big difference when a player makes a mistake and the face-off is in the zone or at centre ice. You have to be loved by your teammates and it’s because you make them better.”

cpt507-the-canadian-press-1.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Markstrom, as it happens, didn’t get the start against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday night, but as the season draws to a close he still represents one of the most compelling storylines on the team. You can dissect his performance any number of ways, but the plain fact is the Canucks were basically a playoff team in the games Markstrom played — 28-22-9, which extrapolates to 90 points over 82 games. He also emerged as a leader in the dressing room, helping to mentor Elias Pettersson among others. And his on-ice presence was invaluable to a young team trying to survive in the world’s toughest league.

“Whenever you have a goalie you believe in, it definitely adds a level of confidence to your group,” said head coach Travis Green. “Do they actually play better? I think mentally they feel stronger. You hope your players play their best regardless, but I think (Markstrom) brings a sense of confidence to our group.”

“The goalie is the most watched player on the ice,” said Clark. “There’s an inspirational responsibility there. It’s how you carry yourself on the ice, in the gym, everywhere. Being an elite goalie is a lifestyle choice because it’s something you carry at all times, and he’s continually embraced that responsibility.”

Now, we’d love to tell you what Markstrom thinks about all this but, owing to fine print in the agreement between the goaltenders’ union and the Canucks, ‘keepers don’t talk on game days. That’s just as well because when Clark gets rolling on this subject, he sounds like Wordsworth on daffodils.

Besides, there’s another point to be made in the Markstrom saga.

This is the 29-year-old Swede’s ninth season in the NHL, but the first in which he’s played like a No. 1 goalie. He also becomes an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of next season which has, in the fevered minds of some, set up an absurd debate over his future with the team.

The reasoning — and we’re using the term loosely here — goes that Thatcher Demko might be ready to assume the starter’s role in another year and the money Markstrom will command would be better used elsewhere.

We’re not going to invest a lot of time weighing the pros and cons of that argument. Suffice to say, a team in the Canucks’ position can’t go into a season with a question mark at its most important position. Yes, there are concerns about term and compensation, but Markstrom checks off the team’s biggest box and if you’re wondering if this season has been a one-off, here’s our pal Clark to set you straight.

“I would expect him to hit the ground running next year,” Clark said. “What we’ve seen these last four months is what our expectation should be and, frankly, what his expectation should be of himself.”

Clark added there was a moment in November when Markstrom struggled with the changes made to his game. If he was going to revert to his former self, that would have been the time; but Clark saw a different goalie in December.

So did the rest of the NHL.

“To see it unfold under pressure and under duress, you know he’s taken that step. It’s one thing to do it in a predictable, low-risk environment (practice). But it’s another thing to do it in the jungle of the game, in front of 20,000 people and with all that pressure. It takes courage to cross that bridge, and that’s a big credit to Jacob.”

And something bigger for the Canucks.

ewilles@postmedia.com

twitter.com/willesonsports

• Cheers 2

On 4/4/2019 at 1:35 PM, Fanuck said:

I'd much prefer JB pay Seattle off with another asset if in fact Marky proves he's the real deal (remember, he's really only had 1/2 of very good season in his entire career) and/or Demko proves he's definitively on the path to 'starter status'. 

there fixed that for you

so it is more accurate

On 3/21/2019 at 3:47 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry everyone

But I am having a real hard time with understanding what will happen at the end of next season...….

As posted Markie will be 30, at the mid mark of next season...………..

So, do we do?

1. Sign Markie and expose Demko to the Expansion draft?

or

2. Trade Markie, and sign another goalie as Demko's back up?

or 

3. Trade for another goalie?

or 

4. Pay Seattle a 1st to leave Demko alone?

or

5. Trade Demko?

IMO...…...best value for Markie and Demko is at the draft

What do you think? Because I can't figure it out!

Markstrom could be a one-hit wonder. Demko at the very least is going to be a starting goaltending with the potential to be a top goaltender. I'd trade Markstrom at the draft or at the very least sign him and then trade him next year. There is no way you can give up Demko in the expansion draft.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Markstrom could be a one-hit wonder. Demko at the very least is going to be a starting goaltending with the potential to be a top goaltender. I'd trade Markstrom at the draft or at the very least sign him and then trade him next year. There is no way you can give up Demko in the expansion draft.

Well we don't know that with Demko

Green should have him start the last bunch of games to get a better gauge of how far away he is.

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well we don't know that with Demko

Green should have him start the last bunch of games to get a better gauge of how far away he is.

There are no more games to play. :mad: