The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

If Demko somehow steals the Vegas series for us, I think that'll make Jim Bennings job more interesting this off-season.

I think it makes it easier to be honest. If demko can eventually develop into a markstrom this solves our cap woes next offseason.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think it makes it easier to be honest. If demko can eventually develop into a markstrom this solves our cap woes next offseason.

I tend to agree. Its not an easy situation for a GM but you have to decide on value and stick to the number. 

For me, thats 6 mil AAV x 4 years. Anything more than that and we risk crippling the team with a really bad contract if Marky doesn't stay at the peak we're seeing now. 

If Demko takes this team into the western finals and does well tho? thats gotta make for a 300 page thread :lol:

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If Demko stands on his head and wins us the next two games, would that be enough to completely write off Markstrom?

11 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

If Demko stands on his head and wins us the next two games, would that be enough to completely write off Markstrom?

I'd argue the one game is enough

Consider the alternative:

We sign Markstrom to an inflated contract (goalies are wildcards unless your name is Carey Price)

If this happens, we can pretty much say adios to a young, relatively cheap, stud of a goalie (Demko) to the expansion draft. This also means we'll have cap issues due to paying (over-paying) Markstrom

You don't sign Markstrom, you get to keep Demko, save money, and still have a very capable goalie while also having some cap room to address other needs (D and bottom 6)

2 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

We sign Markstrom to an inflated contract (goalies are wildcards unless your name is Carey Price)

If this happens, we can pretty much say adios to a young, relatively cheap, stud of a goalie (Demko) to the expansion draft. This also means we'll have cap issues due to paying (over-paying) Markstrom

You don't sign Markstrom, you get to keep Demko, save money, and still have a very capable goalie while also having some cap room to address other needs (D and bottom 6)

You're too quick to forget what Markstrom did for us this season.  He's an NHL all-star, and has been solid all season long.  

The one game is far too small of a sample size to justify picking Demko over Markstrom, hell even three games is still not enough.

There are some issues with Markstrom, he's already 30, on his second injury this season, and will be expensive.

Benning has a tough decision to make this off-season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

Demko went through ups and downs when he was asked to carry the load this season. He needs another season under Markstrom, the same as Markstrom did when he first came up from Utica. It took time for him to really become the elite goalie that he is now.

Drance's take on it.

I agree..that Markstrom "carries a pretty big stick" in the room and in how the team presents/feels about themselves.  He gives them an extra level of confidence...games that they should have lost but won because of him provide that (my thoughts).  It's not just about how a guy performs...it's how he fits in the room.  Demko does (too) but Marky's a big personality in there and part of a group that experienced personal loss together and that stuff unifies teams.  They've weathered some storms together this year.  Remove a big personality and it can change the dynamics of things.  It's not reason TO keep someone...but it's something.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-26583.html

If Demko wins the next 2 games and the series against Vegas it would change everything as Green would most likely start him against Dallas/Colorado no matter if Markstrom is healthy.  The next game is huge for Demko.  And he looks like he has ice in his veins which is what you want in a goalie.  This could be his coming out party.  We will see.

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Drance's take on it.

I agree..that Markstrom "carries a pretty big stick" in the room and in how the team presents/feels about themselves.  He gives them an extra level of confidence...games that they should have lost but won because of him provide that (my thoughts).  It's not just about how a guy performs...it's how he fits in the room.  Demko does (too) but Marky's a big personality in there and part of a group that experienced personal loss together and that stuff unifies teams.  They've weathered some storms together this year.  Remove a big personality and it can change the dynamics of things.  It's not reason TO keep someone...but it's something.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-26583.html

if Marky was 27 or 28 this wouldn't even be a discussion. Its the end years of the deal that are the hard part. 

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

if Marky was 27 or 28 this wouldn't even be a discussion. Its the end years of the deal that are the hard part. 

If Marky was 27 he would still fit in with the core.  At almost 31 he doesn't fit in.  Demko at 24/25 hasn't even hit his prime years and can play with Petey, Huggy and the boys for the next decade.  It's a tough call.  Let's see what happens tonight.

• Cheers 1

On 9/2/2020 at 8:34 AM, Robert Long said:

I tend to agree. Its not an easy situation for a GM but you have to decide on value and stick to the number. 

For me, thats 6 mil AAV x 4 years. Anything more than that and we risk crippling the team with a really bad contract if Marky doesn't stay at the peak we're seeing now. 

If Demko takes this team into the western finals and does well tho? thats gotta make for a 300 page thread :lol:

The $6 million x 4 is exactly the ceiling I would put for a contract offer.  I would include an NMC for next season and expansion as a sweetener.

Any more than that, and it is wishing him good luck and moving on with signing a veteran 1B for two years (to fulfill our expansion requirement to expose a goalie)... and platoon that guy with Demko.  The Jake Allen deal is a great example of the type of guy who would fit.

Same goes for Tanev really.  Love to have him on short term or low AAV, but just can’t afford to give him more.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

The $6 million x 4 is exactly the ceiling I would put for a contract offer.  I would include an NMC for next season and expansion as a sweetener.

Any more than that, and it is wishing him good luck and moving on with signing a veteran 1B for two years (to fulfill our expansion requirement to expose a goalie)... and platoon that guy with Demko.  The Jake Allen deal is a great example of the type of guy who would fit.

Same goes for Tanev really.  Love to have him on short term or low AAV, but just can’t afford to give him more.

I agree - providing Demko doesn't carry this team into the West Conf finals.

Seems Markstrom adds a lot to the culture of this team which is important, and I think that's a big part of what earns him the 6x4 contract - otherwise a shorter contract for Crawford or Greiss splitting seasons with Demko would be a fine move IMO.

Doing well in the playoffs (more than one game too) is one thing, but being the guy relied upon during the regular season is another thing.

Demko might be good in spurts, but a great starter has to be consistent over an even longer stretch of time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

This.

Him re-signing is basically about how bad he wants stay here with this young, competitive group whom he's close with.

If he/his agent insist on that extra $500k-$1m and extra year or two he might get elsewhere, that exactly where he'll get them.

We're pretty solid either route.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

This.

Him re-signing is basically about how bad he wants stay here with this young, competitive group whom he's close with.

If he/his agent insist on that extra $500k-$1m and extra year or two he might get elsewhere, that exactly where he'll get them.

We're pretty solid either route.

Yep, I don’t doubt he could get up to a $7 x 5 year or $6.5 x 6 year offer “somewhere”. It may not be somewhere desirable, but there is money out there.

As much as he is an amazing fit for our team, we are also an amazing fit for him.  He hasn’t made a ton in his career, so I don’t blame him if he wants to get the highest dollar and term option... but it could be a miserable time for him.

Benning just needs to be really firm with a walk-away number that he isn’t willing to go beyond instead of chasing it like he has with some of the UFAs we targeted.  The better Demko plays, the easier it is for Benning to be firm with Markstrom.

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Marky does decide to go after a bigger pay day what other goalie should be go after? Talbot? Dell? Khudobin? Holtby? Crawford?

Could use a good veteran that can handle playing half a season and help Demko out, akin to Ryan Miller and Markstrom.

I would do Mike Smith for a 1 year deal. Definitely, nothing over 1 year.

For Marky, I can see the Flames throwing big money at him. They are desperate at this point.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I think I might be reconsidering my highest offer for Markstrom after the performance again tonight :)

At least that NMC may need to go away!

3 hours ago, shazzam said:

I would do Mike Smith for a 1 year deal. Definitely, nothing over 1 year.

For Marky, I can see the Flames throwing big money at him. They are desperate at this point.

I would be looking for someone for 2 years if they are not close to 40 like Smith/Anderson/Miller. We could afford to pay someone a bit on that sort of term. 

Need someone that could play 40 games. I prefer Crawford out of all the veteran goalies available. Has a lot of experience. 

Would look for a situation akin too Miller/Markstrom but the improved version.