The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Thinking about giving up on sports :( Worst feeling ever after Game 7 in 2011.

Sew sad. Get 1-2 hits in 12 ABs with RISP and the win is likely ours.

Can't believe we couldn't get the ball in play with Travis on 3B in the 9th. Ugh. Horrible.

Price is a beauty, and he honestly showed some great resiliency under some tremendous pressure today, especially after giving up 2 early dingers. Off season should be interesting. 

Jays announce the signing of both Greinke and Price to multi year deals. 

Soft cap be damned.

I do think the Jays fans showed the money this year that is to be made off of them if they're properly competitive. Now I don't know if they'll pour the right amount of money into things, because it's Rogers, but I think they have a bit more of an understanding to what name recognition and good play can do to their bottom line.

Not talking about signing Grienke obviously, but some additions, or at least retentions, would be nice.

Bunt.

Small ball wins in the playoffs. No shame in a sacrifice.

Yes.  Or even in non-sacrifice situations - with speed like Pompey and Pillar on 2nd and 3rd,  I wanted to see Revere lay one down - particularly with Davis on the mound - force Kansas to make a play on Pompey - no easy task.  I like the Jays chances in that circumstance - worst case scenario they have a runner on 1st and 3rd with one out - best case, a tie game and Pillar on third, possibly Revere on 1st.  Kansas was able to apply that kind of pressure - the Jays weren't.   But at the same time, the team is/was a work in progress.  I don't see a lot of point in second guessing the Jays - they played their game - but there were aspects that could be improved upon - small tweaks that the great teams make.

I think of guys like Otis Nixon and Rex Hudler that the Expos could pull off their bench in the past - that kind of role player - would have been nice to have in a few situations.

I'm sure none of it will be lost on them though.  Look forward to next year - what a great team they could potentially field.

Edited by oldnews

It all comes down to, does Price want to win or does he want the big payday?

Money isn't an issue for Rogers. If Price re-sign, he will get paid by the Jays. Maybe not the top dollars that he's looking for if he hits free agent, but he has to think to himself "Is there a better team out there, that gives me the best chance of winning?". All he really has to do is look at the lineup. 

It all comes down to, does Price want to win or does he want the big payday?

Money isn't an issue for Rogers. If Price re-sign, he will get paid by the Jays. Maybe not the top dollars that he's looking for if he hits free agent, but he has to think to himself "Is there a better team out there, that gives me the best chance of winning?". All he really has to do is look at the lineup. 

Money is an issue for Rogers...

Tulowitzki - 20M
Martin - 15M
Bautista - 14M
Encarnacion - 10M

Donaldson - ???

Tulowitzki - 20M
Martin - 20M

Bautista - ???
Donaldson - ???
Encarnacion - ???

Without even adding a possible Price re-sign, I would guess that Toronto is unfortunately headed back into a rebuild sooner than later. 

The Jays had the second highest payroll in 2013. Buehrle's 20M is off the books next year, same with Navarro's 5M. They can opt out on Dickey's 12M (1M buyout) contract. If Rogers set a cap, say 150M, they can easily re-sign Price and Estrada.

The Jays had the second highest payroll in 2013. Buehrle's 20M is off the books next year, same with Navarro's 5M. They can opt out on Dickey's 12M (1M buyout) contract. If Rogers set a cap, say 150M, they can easily re-sign Price and Estrada.

In 2013 they had the 10th highest payroll. 2014 they had 10th highest payroll. And this year again they had the 10th highest payroll. 

Seems like they had quite a bit to work with but 10th compared to 5th onwards is a collosal difference. Past 3 years the teams payroll has been at around $130m. If Rogers can let us get into the $150m range, most preferably the $170m range, we would be allowed to compete again and keep Price. Price open market value is $25m-$30m. If he were to stay with us, he'd probably have to sign at $20m-$25m. 

...at least it's not like before the team is nonsensically blowing away money for no reason on players not deserving of it. Now they have a structure and can work from it and actually contend for once. IMHO, Rogers has every reason to give a bigger payroll and invest in this team to win now. If they do so, the sales profit will go hand in hand and they will continue to have a great year on the field and business side of it like they did this season.

Great season, looking forward to the next one. This series showed that to win in the playoffs and make a serious run, you need to be able to play small ball when the situation calls for it.

No shame in losing to the Royals. This was a hard fought series. The Jays pitching was not good enough to win the series, also the inability to score runs with RISP (i.e. - bunt to advance the runner, get a clutch hit, etc.) proved to be the key reason why they lost.

Hopefully after all of the buzz of this Jays playoff run, management will continue to build this team as a serious WS contender. I hope this isn't an anomaly of a season and the Jays can start making the playoffs on a consistent basis.

@Sportsnet: With #BlueJays' run over, Troy Tulowitzki opens up about his whirlwind season https://t.co/EuUfeDTsqZ @ArdenZwelling https://t.co/LwdA4gHoxa

Tulo has to be the most likeable player by far I've ever seen. The way he prepares, performs, and carries himself and is so humble being so great, man just the perfect player. Love him to death and am so fortunate we traded for him. You can see his human side and he does all the right things to not make it about him when it's crunch time. Just absolutely love everything he does and can't wait for him to settle in and have a whole year with the guys to feel at home.

• Upvote 1

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, or to blame losses on umpires, so I'll say this from the start: The Jays' loss was due to their inability to hit with RISP and their unwillingness to employ situational hitting. We've seen the big three go off field at varying times this season, yet with the Royals employing the exaggerated shift (against Edwing especially) we constantly saw JD, JB and EE trying to pull the ball, even when a single would have scored runners.

I understand the theory of you do what got you here, but I also think that you need to adapt to your situation. David Price didn't stick with his changeup when it became obvious that the Royals' hitters were on to it, despite the fact that it had been an effective pitch for him all year. He switched the a breaking ball and it kept him and the Jays in the game.

Unfortunately, the hitters didn't seem to share that philosophy (with the possible exception of Pillar)

All of that being said, game six was one devoid of a single break for the Jays from the umpires and the video guys in NY. The fact that those two kids lied about where their gloves were on the Moustakas "home run" should tell you all you need to know about where that ball really was when it was caught. And what I found even more irritating was how Fox did as little as possible to show any replay that might support the Jays.

We saw several overhead shots that showed the top of the fence, yet not a single one of the ball actually being caught by the Amish kid.

We saw pitch tracker employed on several occasions, (and at least a dozen of the ball four to Bautista in game five) yet not once on the obviously high and outside pitches to both Navarro and Revere that forced both to swing at balls out of the strike zone on the next pitch.

We saw one super slo-mo replay of the Rios steal of second, which appeared to show the tag being made on his hand before he made contact with 2nd base. However, that would be the only time the replay was shown, even though we several other replays from different angles and at regular slo-mo.

Who knows what might have happened if there had been a game seven today? If I'm being honest, I have to say that the Royals have been the better team through six games and are deserving of being AL champions. Buts the best team doesn't always win and anything can happen in a game 7.

I firmly believe that there should have been one...

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

idk why i posted that. far too early to be talking about offseason changes. just really wish they keep Price and make some bullpen additions.

Praying Rogers gives some rope to work with. This group is too special not to be given another go.

I agree with you 100%. I bought a Price shirt at the game I went to in support of resigning him. He's a huge asset. Stroman is campaigning to get Price back.

I am very proud of this team and what they can accomplish. With some awful contracts off the books, things are looking good. We will always have series 1 to re-watch time and time again. They made baseball exciting again.

I'm sure Rogers made tons of money between July 31st and now. Especially with a sellout crowd. I am sure they're more open to it this year than any previous years. This season has been a huge profit for them.

Edited by Xbox

There is a lot of money coming off the books! Buehrle 20 mill, Romero 8 mill, Navarro 5 mill, Izturus 3 mill, Estrada 4 mill, not picking up Dickeys option could be 12 mill, and you even save 2 mill on tulo over reyes. That is 54 million without increasing the budget from last year. With raises to Donaldson (expected arbitration 12 mill) and Martins salary structure has him making 8 million more this coming year. I'd say they have roughly 39 million for 3 starters and a back up catcher. Also I don't see how rogers won't up the budget another 10 mill to only further this teams chances of going to the show.

Do you go with Goins or Travis next year at 2B? Both are certainly good enough to do that job. I'd be over the moon if Blue Jays somehow brought in Chris Davis but the payroll would have to be Dodgers level to do that. 

Jay's need more pitching.  Starters and bull pen.  They need a set up guy too.

Plain and simple they lost because of mistakes they made but more importantly their pitching. Price and Cecil are the only two reliable pitchers the rest aren't. Osuna couldn't get it done again. He's not a closer. Period.  AA really fracked up and put all his eggs in one basket by going with a 20 yr old as the closer. They need to go out and get themselves a veteran experienced closer. In addition why didn't he trade for more left handed pitchers. Very embarrassing when Jays are turning to Price or someone else in the rotation to come put of the bullpen for a few innings.  If Rogers is really serious about winning then they should be willing to put the money up especially with the fan support. Price and Greinke as your 1-2 punch but that's a total fantasy. Jays are going to have in the range of $40 million coming off the books with Dickey, Buerhle and Romeo's contracts up. And before anyone says or suggest Jays bring back Dickey at cheaper price. No. He should retire or go play elsewhere.

Get rid of Gibbons. This guy is incompetent and mismanages this team.  Just think if the Jays had a experienced, competent and all-star Manager that's won before where Jays could be right now. 

It was very obvious and clear the U.S. didn't want to see Canadian teaming winning WS again with alot of the umpire calls. Last night Revere was up late in the game and took a pitch that was clearly high but was called a strike. Fox commentary couldn't be more biast and anti-Canada.

Another thing why are they playing "God Bless America"  during the playoffs. Way to hurt a team's momentum when they get on a roll.

Plain and simple they lost because of mistakes they made but more importantly their pitching. Price and Cecil are the only two reliable pitchers the rest aren't. Osuna couldn't get it done again. He's not a closer. Period.  AA really fracked up and put all his eggs in one basket by going with a 20 yr old as the closer. They need to go out and get themselves a veteran experienced closer. In addition why didn't he trade for more left handed pitchers. Very embarrassing when Jays are turning to Price or someone else in the rotation to come put of the bullpen for a few innings.  If Rogers is really serious about winning then they should be willing to put the money up especially with the fan support. Price and Greinke as your 1-2 punch but that's a total fantasy. Jays are going to have in the range of $40 million coming off the books with Dickey, Buerhle and Romeo's contracts up. And before anyone says or suggest Jays bring back Dickey at cheaper price. No. He should retire or go play elsewhere.

Get rid of Gibbons. This guy is incompetent and mismanages this team.  Just think if the Jays had a experienced, competent and all-star Manager that's won before where Jays could be right now. 

It was very obvious and clear the U.S. didn't want to see Canadian teaming winning WS again with alot of the umpire calls. Last night Revere was up late in the game and took a pitch that was clearly high but was called a strike. Fox commentary couldn't be more biast and anti-Canada.

Another thing why are they playing "God Bless America"  during the playoffs. Way to hurt a team's momentum when they get on a roll.

You obviously haven't heard:  'God hates Canada'.