The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whatever. I was a supporter but I'll welcome the change. I liked how he rebuid the prospect depth and didnt jump at any chance to trade Horvat ect.

The new guy has to come in and build on the good things gillis has done and we'll be a good team again soon. If he comes in and starts trading all these bright future pieces for some phil kessel's because he want's a contender asap, we'll be back to the mid to late 90s vancouver canucks in no time.

It's about time Gillis was dismissed. Better late then never. What great day.

I'm holding off celebrating until we know who his replacement is and I suggest you do the same..

I don't know how the owners can justify bringing Torts back after we've had the worst year offensively in franchise history and a piss poor one defensively.

MG needed to go, but not if it came down to a Torts or MG decision. If that was the case, it should have been JT fired.

That said, I hope they go about this the right way, and hire a president who is there to run the overall club, without being the GM. Then hire a GM with some experience, either as a GM or an asst GM (my preference). Then my hope is they bring in their own coach and get rid of that clown behind the bench. That would go a long way in bringing this franchise back

I did.

But never did I think for a minute that the owner would decide to remain the defacto GM and hire Jay Feaster as a puppet to lead this team going forward.

My whole reason for supporting MG's firing was to hopefully bring in a bright and respected GM that would be able to push back on the ownerships meddling in hockey op's.

What we're seeing now is the complete opposite in my view, with the owners now putting themselves in position to actually become even more involved.

This is not a good situation at all.

Why would they do that? They're going to replace MG with their guy.

Given everything that's been said in the media lately, it certainly seems like the relationship between Gillis and the ownership had deteriorated. Add to that his inability to get timely deals done and it was obviously time for him to go.

I wish him all the best.

Looks like the Aquilini's now see Gillis as an outcast among the league's power-mongers...and they are more willing to switch gears....and appease the Chairman & his voting-block. They are tired of being perceived as villians by the eastern media propaganda machine owned by members of that block.

Gillis got a raw deal. The Aquilini's clearly have their mitts in the pot - too far. Torts was never Gillis' guy. Nor was Tortorella my pick to lead this team. Gillis didn't fight hard enough to land, John Stevens. That's the moment he really began losing his job. Everything I predicted, happened to this team, this year.. a literal breaking-down of the players (due to Torts' shot-blocking dogma & over-deployment), loss of identity, loss of the core, loss of scoring, a dis-connected Tortorella, who is still a very selfish entity. He is not likely to change his antiquated ways. If Torts stays...gone are the hopes & dreams seeing a premiere skill & speed team playing with integrity & honor. Say hello to Bruisers-light,...or a team who will more than likely meet with the Chairman's WWE-style approval-rating. Gillis saw all of this coming...but no owner wants his GM standing there saying,...."I told ya so."

I wasn't very happy with the job that either Tortorella or Gillis did, this year. But Gillis' vision is the one that I prefered. The Aquilini's just saw so much Anti-Canuck bias & sentiment out there in this league...that they perceived this was because Gillis' was clearly NO league-insider. Hell,...it wouldn't surprise me, now - if they even tried to bring Brian Burke back! As I have said before...it may well be Burkie's perfect revenge. And - ya don't get any more inside the league's wheel house... than him.

Fair enough, however that team that went to the cup had alot of parts from the previous regime.

I think what hurt GM is all of the PR stuff. I don't think it is a knee jerk reaction to fire someone who hired a coach that stormed another teams dressing room, two goalie controversies, poor handling of the media....fans remember that stuff.

I think Gillis is a fall guy if we talk about the torts hiring. My biggest concern is how much of the PR stuff was just not being able to combat the media? It's their job to think up the perfect question to stir up controversy.

I think anyone less than Gilman will be a bad choice for GM, but we'll have to wait and see. I hope that AQ is dedicated enough for a winning team that he hasn't made this move just to give fans a reason to come to the games next year.

No,

That would happen if Calgary ownership were our new GM.

People need to get it through their heads that Feaster had no power in Calgary, the owners forced him into those stupid moves.

How do you explain Tampa then?

MG needed to go, but not if it came down to a Torts or MG decision. If that was the case, it should have been JT fired.

That said, I hope they go about this the right way, and hire a president who is there to run the overall club, without being the GM. Then hire a GM with some experience, either as a GM or an asst GM (my preference). Then my hope is they bring in their own coach and get rid of that clown behind the bench. That would go a long way in bringing this franchise back

I think Botterill wouldn't be a terrible choice but not as good as Jim Nill last year.

A Feaster/Torts combo could be a disaster. The coach who is stuck in the past with little strategy and the lackey GM with one of the worst drafting, signing and trading records of the last 15 years.

Big decision but had to be made....I wonder how much of the chants last night effected the decision to do it today?

Fan chants are like magical incantations this season. Look what they bring about.

So if the fans' chanting last night had anything to do with this..

start chanting

WE WANT THE CUP

again please.

Maybe next time instead of "WE WANT THE CUP" we should just chant "WIN THE CUP" otherwise we'll be wanting a cup for another 40 years instead of having one. Gotta be more specific.

Thank you that is exactly what I was thinking he is just got to go too!!

TSN trolling Van fans by throwing out Feaster's name. Thread earlier this week that said Torts quietly spreading Feaster as GM he could work with :< :<.

Bob Nicholson >>>>> Feaster.

Where are all those Gillis isn't going anywhere fans now?

Ticked off

Damn, said on Facebook after the game, that Gillis would be gone by noon today. Not too often one of my thoughts gets done... he should have been initially hired as an assistant GM, to learn the position. I can't remember who was available at the time, though.

The bigger picture here is what message has this organization sent to all other potential GM candidates?

That making the playoffs every year is mandatory? What does that do for any GM's decision making process?

Seems to me that any new GM would be more inclined to make short term decisions in order to keep his job, at the expense of the longer term benefit of the franchise.

Random question- did Louis Jean report this before the official twitter feed? If so it seems he definitely has some sources within the organization.

He was the one that broke the AV firing last year before it was announced, so yeah he seems to have an in somewhere.

Archived