The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I'm leaning towards those guys but we'll see who gets picked ahead of us...

Do you know much about Ritchie? Tbh my knowledge of this draft is pretty poor ( haven't followed this year). Is Ritchie chunky like buff was? Or is that muscle? At his age he is a monster, but for all I know he is Tostitos 2.0.

Do you know much about Ritchie? Tbh my knowledge of this draft is pretty poor ( haven't followed this year). Is Ritchie chunky like buff was? Or is that muscle? At his age he is a monster, but for all I know he is Tostitos 2.0.

There are a half a dozen 'draft' threads discussing all of the top 10.

RESPONSE to: NEVERSUMMER

You suggested Assistant GM of Detroit. WELL, let me tell you that is the person that should have been hired instead of Mike Gillis. The guys name is Jim Nil. Unfortunately we didn't hire him and he had all the bells and whistles that Benning has and he had them long ago. Sooner or later Detroit knew they would lose Jim Nil. The problem is we didn't hire him and he went to the Dallas Stars this year so assistant GM of Detroit is gone.

BTW, Dallas made the playoffs this year. :picard:

Somehow I don't think this organization will blow it again. Here is hoping they don't. We might have to wait awhile for a ticket to the Stanley Cup Final but if we give Trevor the time, he'll get it done. :rolleyes:

You suggested Assistant GM of Detroit. WELL, let me tell you that is the person that should have been hired instead of Mike Gillis. The guys name is Jim Nil. Unfortunately we didn't hire him and he had all the bells and whistles that Benning has and he had them long ago. Sooner or later Detroit knew they would lose Jim Nil. The problem is we didn't hire him and he went to the Dallas Stars this year so assistant GM of Detroit is gone.

Somehow I don't think this organization will blow it again. Here is hoping they don't. We might have to wait awhile for a ticket to the Stanley Cup Final but if we give Trevor the time, he'll get it done. :rolleyes:

To build a cup winner, you need to surround yourself with people who were cup winners and had experience. Jim Nil was the GM I really liked until Gillis got hired. Bennings is also another assistant GM that comes from an organization that has a winning culture, has won a cup and went to the finals last year again. This year, they have won the presidents trophy and could go to the finals again. If we can get Bennings and hire Quinn as a senior advisor, I have no doubts in my mind that this team will be turning things around for good and I would feel better about our chances of winning the cup. It all starts from the president and GMs that make crucial decision and it trickles down.

I am loving the optimism .. just as we have declined slowly, we must retool slowly .. I wonder which synonym Trevor will have to use to avoid the word 'process' ? ..

proc·ess1
ˈpräˌses,ˈpräsəs,ˈprō-/
noun
noun: process; plural noun: processes
  1. 1.
    a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.
    "military operations could jeopardize the peace process"
    synonyms: procedure, operation, action, activity, exercise, affair, business, job, task, undertaking More
    "investigation is a long process"
    • a natural or involuntary series of changes.
      "the aging process"
    • a systematic series of mechanized or chemical operations that are performed in order to produce or manufacture something.
      "the modern block printer needs to accommodate all the traditional factory processes in one shop"
      synonyms: method, system, technique, means, practice, way, approach, methodology More
      "a new canning process"
  2. 2.
    Law
    a summons or writ requiring a person to appear in court.
  3. 3.
    BiologyAnatomy
    a natural appendage or outgrowth on or in an organism, such as a protuberance on a bone.
verb
verb: process; 3rd person present: processes; past tense: processed; past participle: processed; gerund or present participle: processing
perform a series of mechanical or chemical operations on (something) in order to change or preserve it.
"the various stages in processing the wool"
  • operate on (computer data) by means of a program.
  • deal with (someone) using an official and established procedure
    I am kind of leaning towards the simple word "task", used with such adjectives as 'ongoing' and 'mufti-faceted' .. should be interesting .. Trevor will impress me if he actually chooses to use the word process .. it will show he has the cojones for the job.

Just hope Aquaman doesn't translate Boston model being just goons and thugs. Have to realize they have tons of skill that match with their toughness that makes them so successful and hard to play against.

Actually, we should be just hoping that Aquaman has absolutely no say in the hockey operations of this team.

I'm not sure Jim Nill was available back then. He had turned down other offers at the time to be able to stay in Detroit as his wife had been battling cancer.

Luckily for Dallas, the timing was finally right for Nill to consider moving last summer.

I am loving the optimism .. just as we have declined slowly, we must retool slowly .. I wonder which synonym Trevor will have to use to avoid the word 'process' ? ..

proc·ess1

ˈpräˌses,ˈpräsəs,ˈprō-/

noun

noun: process; plural noun: processes

a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.

"military operations could jeopardize the peace process"

synonyms:

procedure, operation, action, activity, exercise, affair, business, job, task, undertaking More

"investigation is a long process"

• a natural or involuntary series of changes.

"the aging process"

• a systematic series of mechanized or chemical operations that are performed in order to produce or manufacture something.

"the modern block printer needs to accommodate all the traditional factory processes in one shop"

synonyms:

method, system, technique, means, practice, way, approach, methodology More

"a new canning process"

Law

a summons or writ requiring a person to appear in court.

BiologyAnatomy

a natural appendage or outgrowth on or in an organism, such as a protuberance on a bone.

verb

verb: process; 3rd person present: processes; past tense: processed; past participle: processed; gerund or present participle: processing

perform a series of mechanical or chemical operations on (something) in order to change or preserve it.

"the various stages in processing the wool"

• operate on (computer data) by means of a program.

• deal with (someone) using an official and established procedure

I am kind of leaning towards the simple word "task", used with such adjectives as 'ongoing' and 'mufti-faceted' .. should be interesting .. Trevor will impress me if he actually chooses to use the word process .. it will show he has the cojones for the job.

I personally prefer "course of action", "procedure", "development", "manner", and "formation". All close to "process" but just a lot fresher. So sick and tired of hearing process...not a bad word, just so sick of it :P

Just hope Aquaman doesn't translate Boston model being just goons and thugs. Have to realize they have tons of skill that match with their toughness that makes them so successful and hard to play against.

THIS! Boston kicked our arses in 2011 because: (1) they were healthier, and (2) they were pretty damn skilled themselves (5th in goals per game that year).

Honestly, the Bruins aren't THAT good. Any of the western power houses are probably better. Chicago, SJ, LA, Anaheim, St.Louis, and even Colorado.

It took them 7 games and some good officiating for them to narrowly beat us.

LOLOLOL. I live on the east coast and therefore watch a fair bit of Bruins hockey, and let me tell you they are very, VERY good. They average 3.15 goals/game, good enough for third in the league. They also have a PP operating at 21.7%, good for third in the league. And to top it all off, they are third in 5 on 5 goals and first in third period goals. Sounds like a completely 'average' team to me.

Take the hater glasses off and recognize greatness when you see it, even if you hate it.

Actually, we should be just hoping that Aquaman has absolutely no say in the hockey operations of this team.

And this.

My take: both the "Boston Model" and "Detroit Model" rely on a legit #1 defensemen who take the puck away and quickly move it to the offensive zone.

Boston: has survived trading away 3 top tier first liners in the last 9 years in large part because of Zdeno Fracking Chara.

Detroit: Well, fact is they've been a mid-tier team since Lidstrom retired.

What about Stan Smyl as our new General Manager, or maybe he is being considered for a coaching job?

Stan ran the Moose many years ago. I think that experience cured any ambition he might have had to

coach. I believe Stan had to deal with the great prospect 'Fading Feddy Federov'. Ya, the same guy who

Bieksa took outside a bar in Winnipeg and tuned him up. He didn't stick around long after that.

I still think this "copying Boston" thing is being overblown by the media.

Gee a team with a mix of size, grit, skill, speed and can put pucks in the net and keep them out of their own. Has Boston got a copyright on that? :rolleyes:

Like I said a couple pages ago:

Great point. Why bother classifying it?

Only in Vancouver is there an almost feverish view of the Bruins as an insurmountable object. I will admit that I was consumed by it at one point.

They are just another team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Archived