The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I don't get how this could be a problem. Don't people in other organizations get hired to be GMs quite often? I never hear any concerns about it then because you either let the staff member go or force them to stay, which could be problematic. It is just the nature of the game, teams want management in place before the off-season to at least get their bearings. Just because the Bruins don't want to help us doesn't mean they can control what Benning does after he's hired.

So unless they don't let him interview for other jobs shouldn't this be a non issue. Other than the fact that I'm sure Benning would find it extremely disrespectful after all he has done for their organization.

I don't understand all these posters talking about a clause to not be part of the draft... never seen or heard about it before but because it involves canucks, they know an answer.

- Elliott Friedman: "I think a lot of things in Vancouver depend on Jim Benning".

- Don't have the exact quote but Dreger said Jim Benning is the perceived favourite for the vacant GM job in Vancouver.

- Farhan Lalji tells Scott Rintoul that Bruins do not want to let Assistant GM Jim Benning join Canucks in time to help on draft day.

At this point it's clear Benning is the favourite. However, Boston is trying to do a little screw job by keeping Benning till after the draft to get the most possible return they can from him before he retires which is drafting. Will be interesting to see how things play out and if he comes here before the draft or not.

yea probably because the Bruins already finalized the draft rankings according and catered to the way and how Boston wants to draft, so yes, if Jim Benning joins Vancouver, that list goes to Vancouver, and we all know, Vancouver drafts way ahead of Boston, probably targeting all of who Bruins want, etc etc, makes sense, but we all already know... the most important pick right regardless of who Boston has.. if our number 6 pick. Our re tool starts from that player.

I don't understand all these posters talking about a clause to not be part of the draft... never seen or heard about it before but because it involves canucks, they know an answer.

Exactly. Is there some rule in there that forced Benning to not participate in the draft because he was part of another organization immediately before?

yea probably because the Bruins already finalized the draft rankings according and catered to the way and how Boston wants to draft, so yes, if Jim Benning joins Vancouver, that list goes to Vancouver, and we all know, Vancouver drafts way ahead of Boston, probably targeting all of who Bruins want, etc etc, makes sense, but we all already know... the most important pick right regardless of who Boston has.. if our number 6 pick. Our re tool starts from that player.

Thing is unless they lock Benning in a padded room and take away all communication, how can Boston stop Benning from participating at the draft? If it's a forgone conclusion that he is van's gm, it would take minimal effort for Benning to relay to the Canucks who to pick even if he wasn't at their draft table. Text smiley face for virtanen, angry face for ehlers. now doing the Kesler trade, that might get a bit complicated.

I don't think the draft is as big of a deal as people make it out to be with Benning, especially in the earlier rounds.

Boston has probably been scouting and working on projected players to be taken 20 spots after Vancouver. Benning and Co. Know about higher ranked players but know they won't be available when Boston picks, but will be available for Vancouver.

In the later rounds, 4th and beyond, I could see there being more of a conflict because those picks are more of a crap shoot and teams are far more likely to go 20 picks off the boards.

With Van 6th pick they won't take who Boston had targeted at 26th (just an example of their pick, could be 26+) as well as at 36th Van won't be looking at players who will be going around 56th.

Bruins win the CUP and draft 30th anyway. Canucks can throw them a bone like Schroeder to let our new Messiah go.

The Bruins can't prevent one of their employees to take the Canucks job. As soon as the Bruins are eliminated, he will be gone to take a GM job. He also won't be with the Bruins after the draft since if he is taking any GM job, am sure he would want to participate in the draft and build the team right.

Old News;

Talk about culture shock for Trotz if he came to Van. Preds environment would look absolutely Artic baren in comparison. I wonder if

he would be open to such a move? I cannot ever remember any criticism of his coaching by those that left Nashville. It always seemed to be about money or the desire to be on a winning team.

I see Bennings becoming the Canucks GM while Trotz gets hired as the coach. We will be the Bruins of the west with a Bruins assistant GM and a coach that is pretty similar to Claude Julian.

Yes they can prevent him from taking a Canuck job if he is under contract. The usual caveat in such contracts is that if a job is offered which means advancement then they can take it. We don't know what Benning's contract says. Linden did say he had no serious 'push back' from those he had approached. That indicates to me that he is already talking to people like Benning.

I agree with Gary Valk about Trotz. Made a lot happen for Nashville on a shoe string budget.

Archived