The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I would be okay with giving Trotz a shot to be honest. The Canucks sorely need a guy ho can squeeze the most out of what he has to work with and Trotz definitely has the knack for doing that. The new GM obviously has a lot of work to do to upgrade the roster too though.

Plus am guessing a new GM would want a coach that has lots of NHL experience and a coach that is well respected around the league. Trotz is definitely the right coach for a new GM and he would make it easier on the new GM by meeting or exceeding expectations.

Please continue! Far more riveting than any of the other discussion taking place here today. *cough* Hedman *cough*

The amount of irony in this post is too damn high. You're the only reason why this thread has gone completely off-topic. You can't actually make any sort of arguments. Your only response will be "it's not worth trying to explain" or something along those lines. Wow that's so weak. Are you an adult-baby?

Maybe not as quickly as Torts but probably the same shelf life of AV.

AV lasted pretty long here and he is the most winningest coach in Canucks history. So am not sure what you are getting at? 7-8 years of coaching one team isn't really a short stint.

Benning and Trotz and I'm definitely content.

Yup it'll be a good start if it happens. Hope we hear something in the next couple days.

This and some key moves in player personnel over the coming months and the team's well set up moving forward IMO.

Was he coming off a hip surgery the season before as well when he was about just as average?

Anything to make Trotz sound like a better choice, right? He also made the Conference finals once, but that's not worth mentioning right? Losing to Boston is such a choke... Not like they might be the most complete team in the league. Get out.

Wow, you're really trying too hard to discredit Trotz.

Rinne was and is a huge part of their team. Anyone that argues that losing him wouldn't hurt their chances is out to lunch.

Torts made the Conference finals once with a star studded team and a world class goaltender. He was never able to get the most out of those stars though, which was ultimately his demise. Trotz on the other hand has been able to get the most out of 7th round draft picks like Erat and Hornqvist.

Not sure why you're bothering to defend Tortorella though. I'm not sure he has many supporters left on here. It's clear his old methods of coaching are no longer effective in the new NHL. My bet is he's out of the NHL for awhile, if not permanently now.

Wow, you're really trying too hard to discredit Trotz.

Rinne was and is a huge part of their team. Anyone that argues that losing him wouldn't hurt their chances is out to lunch.

Torts made the Conference finals once with a star studded team and a world class goaltender. He was never able to get the most out of those stars though, which was ultimately his demise. Trotz on the other hand has been able to get the most out of 7th round draft picks like Erat and Hornqvist.

Not sure why you're bothering to defend Tortorella though. I'm not sure he has many supporters left on here. It's clear his old methods of coaching are no longer effective in the new NHL. My bet is he's out of the NHL for awhile, if not permanently now.

Rinne hasn't showed up for 2 years. That's a fact. We will never know if they would've made the playoffs with him because it didn't happen. As i said, both Hutton and Mazanec were pretty hot, before they both cooled off.

It wouldn't surprise me if you were a Torts fan when he was around here, especially after the 1st half of the season. You seems like that type of guy. But now that he's gone, and not a part of the organisation, there's no reason for you to not bash him. Trotz might be our next coach, so you gotta stick up for him, saying he's an absolutely amazing coach.

Ofc the Rangers had a freaking amazing team. Anything to make Torts sound bad, right? Torts is the only reason why they didn't win the Stanley Cup. It was all Torts. Torts wasn't around when players like Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto made major impacts to the Rangers. Oh wait.

Hornqvist was a draft steal. Draft position is irrelevant. He was seen as a good player before he even played for Nashville. Please don't give all credit to Trotz. Hornqvist had a great year in Sweden as a 19 year old.

I think Torts is a good coach, this just wasn't a good situation for him. His approach to the game was good, a good thing for the group, but his system & style wasn't.

We should have tried to get back to an offensive, puck possession game, but we went with Torts IMO because Ownership wanted him, if they didn't I think MG would have hired the assistant in LA (his name escapes me at the moment).

Anyways I'm very happy with bringing Benning in. I trust Linden on this one.

And I really hope we end up with Trotz, one of the best coaches in the league IMO, he's a players coach that can get the most out of players, a couple things we really need in our next coach. And this idea he can't coach offense is wrong IMO. The same was thought of AV, and we had great offensive teams under him.

The amount of irony in this post is too damn high. You're the only reason why this thread has gone completely off-topic. You can't actually make any sort of arguments. Your only response will be "it's not worth trying to explain" or something along those lines. Wow that's so weak. Are you an adult-baby?

Man up and set your ego aside.

There's no point in trying to save your argument anymore. Just because you have completely failed to present any valid points as to why Trotz wouldn't be a fit with this team, doesn't mean that you have to keep pathetically droning on just for the sake of winning an argument.

The more you keep talking, the worse you're going to look.

There's no point in trying to save your argument anymore. Just because you have completely failed to present any valid points as to why Trotz wouldn't be a fit with this team, doesn't mean that you have to keep pathetically droning on just for the sake of winning an argument.

My advice is: "when in doubt, mumble .." .. or my favorite .. "when in doubt, obfuscate" .. they both work .. :)

Meanwhile, I think Trotz is definitely a worthy candidate.

With Linden, Benning, Trotz in charge we immediately have credibility, stability and respect in regards to who players would be willing to play for and sign with.

I have family that grew up with Sheas family in Sicamous and i got to talk with him one time at a BBQ. I asked about playing in Nashville (he liked the restaurant varieties) but said the best part of playing there was Barry Trotz.

Rinne hasn't showed up for 2 years. That's a fact. We will never know if they would've made the playoffs with him because it didn't happen. As i said, both Hutton and Mazanec were pretty hot, before they both cooled off.

It wouldn't surprise me if you were a Torts fan when he was around here, especially after the 1st half of the season. You seems like that type of guy. But now that he's gone, and not a part of the organisation, there's no reason for you to not bash him. Trotz might be our next coach, so you gotta stick up for him, saying he's an absolutely amazing coach.

Ofc the Rangers had a freaking amazing team. Anything to make Torts sound bad, right? Torts is the only reason why they didn't win the Stanley Cup. It was all Torts. Torts wasn't around when players like Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto made major impacts to the Rangers. Oh wait.

Hornqvist was a draft steal. Draft position is irrelevant. He was seen as a good player before he even played for Nashville. Please don't give all credit to Trotz. Hornqvist had a great year in Sweden as a 19 year old.

Suter, Legwand, Erat, Weber, Hamhuis, Jarnkrok, Sissons, Jones, Ellis, Josi, Stalberg, and mroe.

All of these guys were and are basically owing their current careers and contracts to Barry freaking Trotz.

He squeezes everything out of players that by rights would have been riding the pine on a Torts or AV style team. And these are only a few names. Trotz gets the most out of his roster no matter what, he develops his prospects very well and he gives everyone a fair shake doing it. Added he also has saved more than a few careers behind the bench.

Torts might have been a good coach under the right circumstances or given enough time.

But to say Trotz won't work out here is laughable.

Habs should fire Therrien. Why would you hire and bring back recycled coach that was there before?

I don't like him or his style.

Blaming Therrien for the Habs' eventual demise is asinine. The best goaltender in the world has gone down by being run over. Happens. What Therrien has done is beyond what most coaches could have done with the Habs.

My advice is: "when in doubt, mumble .." .. or my favorite .. "when in doubt, obfuscate" .. they both work .. :)

Meanwhile, I think Trotz is definitely a worthy candidate.

If Weber decides he wants to be traded to Vancouver because Trotz is the coach, then I'm all for Trotz.

Yeah, let's call me out. That's really fair, i wasn't the one who began with this sh*t. Stick with the "more respected" guy on the board even though he hasn't posted anything relevant at all in this thread, except after i called him out. Good job J.R.

I couldn't care less what people here think. J.R were acting like a child so why shouldn't i call him out?

Suter, Legwand, Erat, Weber, Hamhuis, Jarnkrok, Sissons, Jones, Ellis, Josi, Stalberg, and mroe.

All of these guys were and are basically owing their current careers and contracts to Barry freaking Trotz.

He squeezes everything out of players that by rights would have been riding the pine on a Torts or AV style team. And these are only a few names. Trotz gets the most out of his roster no matter what, he develops his prospects very well and he gives everyone a fair shake doing it. Added he also has saved more than a few careers behind the bench.

Torts might have been a good coach under the right circumstances or given enough time.

But to say Trotz won't work out here is laughable.

Stalberg? Jarnkrok? Sissons is still playing in the AHL. Jones might have been the 2nd best player in last years draft. I never said Trotz wasn't a good coach. But to be fair, Nashville didn't do anything extraordinary over the course of 15 years. You could state different things why Nashville didn't do better over this amount of time. But 15 years is a long time. He was and is a good coach, but people shouldn't overrate him.

I have warmed up to the idea of bringing in Trotz as head coach.

Benning I kind off knew from the start that it was going to happen eventually with all the rumours going around and I think he is a very good choice for a team looking to build from the draft and with youth. Ray Shero is more of a guy that would be a good GM to take over a team that just needs a few different pieces to finish the puzzle and win a cup. I have been wanting Benning as soon as Mike Gillis got fired so on a personal level I am very happy, I just hope that he ends up making me happy in the long run as well!

I am not sure who Trotz right hand man is (Torts and Sullivan), but I think Adam Oates would be a fantastic hire as an assistant coach but not sure if he wants to take on an assistant job in the NHL.

President: Trevor Linden
GM: Jim Benning
Coach: Barry Trotz
Assistants: Glen Gulutzan, Adam Oates

That would be a very solid group.

Trotz has been coaching Nashville for a long time and there is a reason for it. He is a pretty damn good coach, otherwise he would've been fired as quickly as Torts. I also remember CDC talking about how Trotz was one of the best coaches in the NHL alongside Babcock. You seem to be the only one here who thinks Trotz is a bad coach. I really hope we do hire Trotz, since he just seems to get the most out of his players.

You also have to remember that Nashville had that one year where they got Forsberg at trade deadline while Arnott and Kariya played there for a really short time. It isn't like all of them played for many seasons there. You seem to forget that we also had Sundin, Demitra, Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, Samuelson etc. that one year where we got eliminated in the 2nd round. Just because Nashville had a limp footed forsberg for less than half a season, it doesn't mean that they suddenly are guaranteed to win the cup or Trotz is the bad coach because of the lack of chemistry.

This

Yeah, let's call me out. That's really fair, i wasn't the one who began with this sh*t. Stick with the "more respected" guy on the board even though he hasn't posted anything relevant at all in this thread, except after i called him out. Good job J.R.

I couldn't care less what people here think. J.R were acting like a child so why shouldn't i call him out?

For the record, you're the one that brought up cookies.

Rinne hasn't shown up for 2 years?

Well considering he was injured for more than half the season this year, that would be pretty difficult for him.

The year before he put up average numbers in a lockout season after the team lost one of the biggest pieces on their team in Suter. Clearly there was going to be a drop off in defense, with none of their young D-men ready to step up and replace him. Acting like the team was no different without him is just silly though, and it's an argument you're not gonna win.

I was never a fan of Torts from the beginning. I said it would be like Keenan all over again, and I was right. I did give him credit for the run in December, thinking that maybe he had changed his ways. However, after the Calgary incident, I knew it was the same old Torts. A coach that can't even control his own emotions is not going to be stable enough to lead a team anywhere.

Hornqvist was a draft day steal? Or was he a decent player that was developed properly under good leadership? It's easy to say in hindsight he always would have become a good player. Credit always has to be given to coaches though, just like AV gets credit for helping develop guys like Burrows, Kesler, Edler, Raymond, and Hansen.

Archived