The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabers shopping Erhoff amoung others

From what I know of, Foligno and Kassian have developed some good chemistry. They played together for Team Canada at the WJC in 2010, in Rochester, and in BUffalo. They consistently played on the same line pretty much, and formed a good tag team model not only in scoring but in physical play. Why not reunite that?

I could see a deal like Ehrhoff for Gardiner taking place.

I'm not personally interested in crossing that bridge again - I think it's pretty much burnt and would much rather go another route with a young pmd. Would love to see us acquire a pick in a trade and draft Honka. Also wouldn't mind a deal with the CBJ where a guy on the verge of NHL readiness like Erixon is part of a deal.

As for Buffalo - would seriously be interested in Foligno - and shocked if they are actually seeking to move him.

Foligno faced some of the strongest quality of competition among Buffalo forwards, he had 43% offensive zone starts and yet a positive relative corsi, he was +17 in takeaways/giveaways and he threw over 200 hits. He's also shown some upside in the past when not playing on a dismal Buffalo bottom 9.

A no brainer imo. Get our bids in. He is an RFA this summer - perhaps has indicated a desire to move elsewhere?

Wasn't Papa Foligno working for the Canucks a while back?

I would love to see Foligno in a Canucks jersey next year. Maybe Mathias for Foligno straight up? A third line of Foligno - Horvat - Kassian would be awesome, provided that Horvat is ready of course.

Sedin - Sedin - ?

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

Foligno - Horvat - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

(Sestito, Archibald)

I'm not opposed. He would help...

But Ehrhoff is not my first choice. Call me neutral?

I'd prefer to pay a bigger premium and acquire a young dynamic PMD who can dance and practically fly on his skates. Ehrhoff is crafty effective but does not provide any physical advantage.

I'd like to see at least one guy on our D that has physical tools other teams cannot handle?

I could see a deal like Ehrhoff for Gardiner taking place.

I'm not personally interested in crossing that bridge again - I think it's pretty much burnt and would much rather go another route with a young pmd. Would love to see us acquire a pick in a trade and draft Honka. Also wouldn't mind a deal with the CBJ where a guy on the verge of NHL readiness like Erixon is part of a deal.

As for Buffalo - would seriously be interested in Foligno - and shocked if they are actually seeking to move him.

Foligno faced some of the strongest quality of competition among Buffalo forwards, he had 43% offensive zone starts and yet a positive relative corsi, he was +17 in takeaways/giveaways and he threw over 200 hits. He's also shown some upside in the past when not playing on a dismal Buffalo bottom 9.

A no brainer imo. Get our bids in. He is an RFA this summer - perhaps has indicated a desire to move elsewhere?

I suspect there might be some interest in Ehrhoff by TO. Their defense has not put it together.

I'm not sure it would be wise. No sense avoiding spending money on Gardiner to create cap space by spending even more on CE who would just take time away from fellow lefty (and more promising) PMD Rielly... Niskanen, a righty, makes way more sense, also better defensively, if they do blow the bank. Part of any plan A is to really to dump Gleason. Barring that cuz its unlikely, the smart move for them would be to swap Gardiner, perhaps Gardiner and a pick, for a young promising center. Mini retool and commit to Rielly and new center.

I agree with you on Foligno. If he did not earn a 2knd line role, he'd be pretty exciting as a 3rd liner even if he was not scoring. 6'3" and 225 lbs with decent wheels and, as u pointed out, reasonable responsibility. Cant see why they give up on a young matchup advantage who should not be too (?) expensive to re-sign.

Does anyone think we can get Theodore out of Anaheim without moving Kesler?

The last thing Van needs is Hoff back. Fans still seem to think that a CUP contender can still be built around the Twins. Big mistake if youth and pics are traded to promote that dream. The Canucks played
without a 1st & 2nd line this year between injury and poor play. Kesler wants out. Bringing Hoff back is a dream. Refocus this team around 23 - 25 year olds up front and move forward.

Yes young players should be the first option! The Twins and Hamhuis can Sheppard in new young talent.

Since absolute plug defencemen are going to be signing contracts for $5-6 million this offseason because of the inflation... $4 million seems a pretty darn good deal for a #3-4 guy.

I suspect we would NOT be on the list of 8 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to, he has some limited control over where he goes.

Booth,Tanev, and some middling prospect for Erhoff and Foligno... I would do it, too bad Buffalo wouldn't :)

Tanev is going to cost close to Erhoff dollars to re-sign.... somewhere in the $3-4 million range.

Take out Tanev... add in Corrado and you haven't lost much, and you have added an offensive defenceman for the PP.

Tanev is still a 185 lb defensive defense man. He should not command $4 mill on any RFA contract if the new GM has their wits about them.

I am aware he outplayed some good, or lets call them well paid defenders, this year taking on 2knd pairing shut down minutes. He also got worn out and injured, for the 2knd consecutive year, taking on the physical toll of that roll. And that we took significant steps backwards in goals against. He can be targetted by good teams that have big, fast forward lines. (Like all of our division) If I was Chicago, LA, or Anaheim's coach, he would have a big circle around his name on the chalkboard before the game and it would be open season.

What he should be a 3rd line defender who is a coaches match up dream to deploy. Not someone who lugs 20 plus minutes a game against top competition. And thats how he should get paid when he does not have the leverage of a UFA status.

So we can both agree that lack of creativity is killing this team.

Sure you can blame the coaching staff, but creativity, like instincts, is something extremely difficult to teach.

The lack of creativity is a personnel problem, not a coaching problem. Goal scoring was already on the decline towards the end of the AV era, and it's only continued to get worse in the Torts era.

Zero question personnel is a back end issue for us. Nobody has the dangle or an ability to shuck and jive, make opposing forwards jumping out to challenge them at the point miss. When if ever do we see a Canuck defender beat their man at the point? Then move up into the slot creating plays for themselves and everybody else as the defense adjusts, creating passing angles? We have shots on our team sure, ok passing, but extremely limited puck handling skill among our D men.

We could use a similar talent to break pressure and start rushes. We are also known as a pass only break out team. Teams know this, cover the forwards coming out, and we dump and chase seemingly 80% of the time. Lack of puck skills also severely limits our ability to create transition offense, as much as it limits our PP.

Hard to question Torts on this one, no talent to empower... (Bieksa is good enough when there is more space 4 on 4, but makes too many mistakes to trust with the puck 5 on 5.)

$4 mill cap hit is pretty good for a player like Ehrhoff. I mean, Edler, Garrison, and Hamhuis all have higher cap hits.

I haven't followed Ehrhoff much since he left Van, and it's entirely possible that when he was here, he was on a career surge just like everyone else, and just like everyone else, he has severely declined since. But when he was here, he was one of the best. Our entire PP worked the way it did because of him and he was the most solid defensively as well.

Real unfortunate that we couldn't re-sign him. We still haven't replaced what he brought to the lineup IMO

no .. i watched the year .. he's just good .. he'd be our best blue liner by a mile .. offensively of coarse ..

-27>>>>>-39

Then look at who Edler was paired with and the great goaltenders he played in front like Luongo and Lack. Its unbelievable how bad Edler was this year and that -39 was accumulated while not even playing the whole season.

I posted this image in another thread but it is fairly alarming that Edler in 15 fewer games was a worse +/- player than a guy who plays defense like this...

bf095bc0-a621-11e3-a531-138b3ea5b14a_fc8

Only if it's prospects like Sauve, or someone expendable. He's turning into just another player like Edler. Offensive minded, but suspect defensively.

The difference is we have enough two way dmen but not any that are actually truly consistent offensively. Ehrhoff would bring something our defense lacks. Which also happens to be something all the cup hopeful teams have.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting the Hoff back but it would depend on the direction this team is going. I honestly think it was a mistake not giving him the money he wanted but hey Mike Gillis thought Garrison could replace his transition game lol. His contract does suck now though..

The difference is we have enough two way dmen but not any that are actually truly consistent offensively. Ehrhoff would bring something our defense lacks. Which also happens to be something all the cup hopeful teams have.

We need d-men who can QB the power play and not have a shot or errant pass and have us get caught flat footed and the opposition scores on us. I'm ok with getting rid of Edler and if Buffalo takes a good chunk of Ehrhoff's contract. But I do not want both Edler and Ehrhoff. Unless we're trying to tank for McDavid as the rationale.

I still think people are looking at Erhoff with rose coloured glasses, and overlooking his horrible defensive play.

7 years left... 3 @ 4mil, 1 @ 3 mil, final 3 years @ 1 mil... He will be 38

Your figures are correct, however, isn't the issue with Ehrhoff's contract the term and cap hit rather than the amount of actual dollars which he's getting paid per season?

As this is a deal with a longer than acceptable term according to the new CBA (10 years vs 7 max), isn't it treated like a 35+ contract? This would mean that should Ehrhoff decide to retire, before finishing his contract, then the team he is with is still stuck with his $4 million cap hit for the remaining years of the deal. (Or have I missed something?)

Even with the cap going up, I imagine that a team would think twice before taking on this contract.

regards,

G.

Archived