The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Tortorella is The Man (in defence of our head coach)

TrevorLinden4ever

Torts getting fired is the right choice. To those who say we need to clean house with the players, be realistic. We may be able to change one and if we are lucky two core players, but essentially the team is going to be more or less the same. Obviously Torts can't work with this group. It is one thing if a player or two unperformed and its another when the whole team crapped the bed. That can only be attributed to the style of coaching. I like Torts and appreciate his emotion and frankness but his coaching style just does not work for us and thus he is or at least should be gone.

I couldn't agree more. He exposes this cry baby core for what it is and he gets fired for it?? Can't wait until the end of next season when everybody finally realizes the damn core is the problem NOT the coach. The problem with this core started long before Torts got here and will be with us long after he leaves. :(

It's okay, if we keep this core, we'll get MCdavid :) . Torts almost had me believing for about 3 weeks there that this team wasn't a bunch of vaginas, fuck was I ever wrong. We ain't what we used to be, age has caught up. Gillis fucked us with ntc.... Plus who even wants the sedins as 30-50 pt players at 7 mill each?, who wants Edler as he causes at least a goal every night, who wants the oft injured Kesler. This core has no value even. It's not going to be the 3-5 year turnaround most think it is.....it's gonna be a 10-12 year stretch of making the playoffs maybe once or twice in there. Anyone who thinks different is delusional, or just simply doesn't understand hockey. The only person who could make this mess dissapear is cris Angel or penn & teller. We are fucked.

It's one of those things where, okay we criticize a guy for being upfront and being the "everyman", but then when its someone who's patronizing and politically correct and boring like AV, we scathe them for not being the "everyman" type. Geez Canucks fans, get with it, this coach really ???? tries hard. Its the floaters that gotta go. Coach Torts also appreciates this city a heck of a lot more than AV did.

Them dogs at the pound are gonna be sad :(

Real sad.

I'm just curious why you think this has anything to do with actual coaching ability. I couldn't give a fat rats ass about whether a coach is "the everyman". How many "everyman" coaches do you see in the playoffs right now?

There will be a large number of coaching vacancies after the second round.

We will soon see if another team will hire John Tortorella.

He could always go and become an assistant to Bob Hartley in CGY.

they can start a "getting work based on cup wins over a decade ago" club.

Why and then hire McLennan here? He's a perennial regular season coach that can't get his team past the first or second round historically? Like that's a coach this team needs? Oh yeah. Sorry. He did get his team to the conference finals one year only to loose to our Canucks. ;)

Who's McLennan? And what makes you so sure that he'll be the new coach?

I don't think there was anything said in the OP that wasn't said many times over (and disagreed with many times over) in the "Torts: 1 more year" thread, so I won't bother going into the "finer" points...

I would however, like to comment on this mantra that seems to be trotted out by the pro-Torts crowd ad nauseum: The "We can't keep firing coaches every year" routine.

If the reports are true and Torts is let go today, it will be two coaches in two years, however, Vigneault coached here for seven years. It's not like the trigger was pulled on him early...

Like Tortorella or not, the Canucks had a terrible year with him at the helm and although a lot of people advocate major changes to the lineup, it's something that's very difficult to do. Much easier to change the coach.

As long as Daniel Sedin is a 7Million dollar a year black hole this team has zero future.

Would have preferred Torts kept as long as it took to break up the NTC's

Return of the Kumbaya Canucks,

maybe we can get Mason Raymond back.

Torts never had a chance with this clown squad of quitters.

Totally disagree with your post in general.

And that last sentence about publicly demonstrating passion? Couldn't disagree more as it's exactly what we DON'T need.

How many coaches have you seen in the first round of these playoffs have you seen "show passion" as you call it?

Nope, a coach needs to be cool, composed and collected on the bench.

It might not be fair that Torts only gets a year, but he needs to go.

So, chewing gum and smiling into his playbook?

New York has a guy like that :P

I truly don't think anyone can say that keeping him around for one more season would have been the worst thing in the world.

Out of all of the coaches currently on the market Trotz is the only one with appeal. This guy did wonders with an endlessly subpar Preds team and no budget.

Once you take away Hamhuis, Weber, Suter and Rinne this team has literally had nobody on it.

Yet there he is in or sniffing around the playoffs every single year until Vancouver broke that teams back in the playoffs.

I keep thinking what Trotz would have done had that team had some genuine scoring talent, a larger budget and free reign on UFA's

I'd love to see Trotz in Vancouver. Barring him one of either Huska from the Kelowna Rockets or the guy currently coaching for Portland.

If we are going to be a new team, it might not be a bad idea to introduce some new blood into the pool; as it was.

Because the last thing I want is a retread from the Sharks and his unending lack of playoff success, we just let one go.

As long as Daniel Sedin is a 7Million dollar a year black hole this team has zero future.

Would have preferred Torts kept as long as it took to break up the NTC's

Return of the Kumbaya Canucks,

maybe we can get Mason Raymond back.

Torts never had a chance with this clown squad of quitters.

They better launch about half of them or all these changes mean nothing!

The biggest thing I like about Torts is the fact that he doesn't pussy foot anyround anything. He has something to say and he is going to say it. Does he say some things that piss you off? Sure. But what's the problem? You don't like hearing that the team is stale? It's true. Don't like the fact we continue to talk about being so close in 1994 and 2011? We lost. Time to move on. I love the Canucks as much as the next guy, but there's no doubt in my mind, this is a mistake by letting him go. Give him at least another year. Looks like a gutless move in my opinion. 5 year deal signed, only to be shown the door after one year. Hey, if the Aquilinis have $$$ to burn like that, I think I may want to be employed by them.

firing torts is the right move.

It might be but-------Torts did not create the mess. He was doomed before he started. I think AV knew that too judging by his sarcasm and laughter. Torts must have known he was doomed soon after he started but with the injuries and an already demoralized team (since 2011) it was just the timing of the firing that would come. Although the owners want to win it is their team not ours, so it is what it is. Maybe Linden will be the next scape goat, but at some time its the players that have to have the heart,

There was more than one thing wrong with this team and the coach was one of the problems. I will breath a big sigh of relief when he finally gets the Axe. A totally brutal display of coaching if you ask me and a complete embarrassment. Has no clue how to handle players both on the ice and on the bench

The yelling and finger stabbing of Hansen should tell you that he's dumb as a post. (The one and only bad year Hansen has had since he's been here......Our hardest working player) stupid stupid attitude torts this is 2014 not 1914.

Good riddance.

There was more than one thing wrong with this team and the coach was one of the problems. I will breath a big sigh of relief when he finally gets the Axe. A totally brutal display of coaching if you ask me and a complete embarrassment. Has no clue how to handle players both on the ice and on the bench

The yelling and finger stabbing of Hansen should tell you that he's dumb as a post. (The one and only bad year Hansen has had since he's been here......Our hardest working player) stupid stupid attitude torts this is 2014 not 1914.

Good riddance.

Small city mentality. Stay away from big cities if you don't want to be destroyed inside.

Small towns need a daily hanging. Otherwise it's boring around there.

Fire Linden!

Now: Linden is the savior

Next year: Give him another year, it's not his fault

Two years: rabid fans chant his name for his demise

And that is why this team will never win the Cup.

Archived