The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dale Tallon activley shopping 1st overall pick

6th and Edler. Done. Didn't know they wanted to trade down. This gives them Ehlers and Ed. We get Ekblad and another 5mil cap. Yay.

Edit: Looks like a d-man not Edler. Would they do Corrado or does it have to be Bieksa, Garrison (not likely), Hammer, or Tanev? I say not likely Garrison cause he didn't resign for a reason. Hammer is from BC and he's got a steal of a deal contract. So that leaves Bieksa (:() or Tanev (even worse).

I'll bet they want Bieksa and our 6th. Would you do it?

Tanev should be considered untouchable. Bieksa I would strongly consider but that would mean we'll likely get Ekblad so that would make up for it a little.

I've been saying this since the lottery. There is a significant chance we see some big trades draft day. The gap between the top 3 (Ekbald, Reinhart, Bennett), and the next 3 (Dal Colle, Drasaitl, Nylander) isn't that big. Then you have the next 4-5. (Ritchie, Virtanen, Kapenen Ehlers).

Ekbald is special as he is pretty much the only defenceman in the top 10. Unless you really want him, which I guess Florida doesn't if they want to trade their chance to get him, then it makes sense to trade down and acquire pieces too.

I want Reinhart really badly only because he is the complement that we need to actually move forward. His style is focused on high skill and Hockey IQ. Sounds similar to Henrik if you ask me. He has captain like qualities, and since he is a hometown boy, I honestly believe that if we pick him up from day one, he could spend his whole career here. Right now, we can play him with Kesler, (who I don't think will be traded due to insufficient offers for what he's worth) and when Henrik steps down in 4 years, he will be ready to take over. Just need to find a replacement for Daniel and we will be secure for the Sedin's departure. I trust Trev to get the job done, but I think acquiring Reinhart is imperative toward both the present and the future of this franchise.

Vancouver picks up Florida's 1st Round pick in exchange for Tallon's # be raised to the Ring right beside Orland. No this is not an overpayment as free golf is included throughout the Lower Mainland. It's worth a shot, no?

Yes, he'll take this just to tackle the #5 hole dogleg at Peace Portal...My neverending-demise of a dream.

Woaaaaaaaaa, If you want Yakupov, offer the 6th+ and keep Tanev. Leave FLA outta it, I would do that.

Edmonton needs D, Ekblad is the top rated defender and the next defender is Fleury who is projected to go ~15th. If they can get Ekblad and Corrado/Petrovic, they'll be set.

I've been saying this since the lottery. There is a significant chance we see some big trades draft day. The gap between the top 3 (Ekbald, Reinhart, Bennett), and the next 3 (Dal Colle, Drasaitl, Nylander) isn't that big. Then you have the next 4-5. (Ritchie, Virtanen, Kapenen Ehlers).

Ekbald is special as he is pretty much the only defenceman in the top 10. Unless you really want him, which I guess Florida doesn't if they want to trade their chance to get him, then it makes sense to trade down and acquire pieces too.

I want Reinhart really badly only because he is the complement that we need to actually move forward. His style is focused on high skill and Hockey IQ. Sounds similar to Henrik if you ask me. He has captain like qualities, and since he is a hometown boy, I honestly believe that if we pick him up from day one, he could spend his whole career here. Right now, we can play him with Kesler, (who I don't think will be traded due to insufficient offers for what he's worth) and when Henrik steps down in 4 years, he will be ready to take over. Just need to find a replacement for Daniel and we will be secure for the Sedin's departure. I trust Trev to get the job done, but I think acquiring Reinhart is imperative toward both the present and the future of this franchise.

this. reinhart is too good to pass up, they need someone who could replace hank down the road

I like how everyone says that the Florida TRADE was horrible. Markstrom will probably surprise a lot of people next year and Mathais was looking like a 40-50 point producer, near the end of the year and considered they're still in there early- mid twenties there's still room for growth (especially markstrom who was showing signs of becoming a number 1)

Edit: fixing grammar

not sure if Matthias will be a 40-50 pt guy ever! but if he can add 30-35 from the third, has size and keeps playing with the intensity he's shown, hits, he was a good pick up. He is a great third liner who's young so it wasn't a bad trade, especially when you consider Markstrom has upside and we got out of that contract (which is value to us), and Lou was a distraction

Only wish that deal could have been done before we got rid of Schnieds but I am excited to see Horvat, he will be a valuable player.

I like the thought that Tallon sees if he can get a steal of a deal from Buffalo for the 1st overall.

He then sees if he can trade the 2nd overall for a lower pick, say the 3rd, 4th or 5th overall, and then possibly even trades that pick for the 7th, 8th or 9th pick..

So, Tallon gets assets from the first deal, assets from the 2nd (and maybe even third) deal, and Ehlers.

regards,

G.

IF Ehlers is the guy FLA wants then they don't can't expect something outrages going back their way. Ehlers is a top 8 pick? That means FLA only has 7 teams they can deal with.

You have to also consider Ekblad isn't a clear cut favourite in the first place so it depends on what other teams are looking for.

Then, you can cross BUF out, why would BUF give up the farm to move up 1 spot, Calgary doesn't have/any assets to send FLA, TOR at number 8 is two risky as Ehlers could very well be pick by then

So then you'd be left with

EDM #3, NYI #5, VAN#6, CAR#7

Only 4 teams who are willing to play ball, EDM clearly wants Ekblad but at what cost are they going to pay to move up 2 spots, especially for a guy that may fall to them. I don't even know if Ekblad is that high on NYI list I can see them wanting to pair up the brothers?

So all in all, if the goal is for FLA to pick up Ehlers, than all I see the 1st overall moving for is a first round pick and a roster player.

Wow. Really clearly broken down. They really don't have many options. Calgary is happy with where they are anyway. What they want is center depth. Sitting at number 4, in the worse case scenario, the top 3 (Ekbald, Reinhart, Bennett) go as predicted and they get Drasaitl, or maybe even Dal Colle. I'm sure they would be really happy with this.

Unless they get a fantastic package, why would they trade with division rivals Buffalo? It's similar to how we are always hesitant to trade with someone like Edmonton. Remember when we refused to trade them Schneider even though they were offering a first as well as 1 or 2 prospects? It's the same thing. Generally, you try not to trade in division. You giving your rival the key piece they need can be the difference between you being in the top 3 of the division or trying to fight for a wild card spot. Same logic goes with Toronto at the 8th pick. (on top of it being too risky.) Unless Buff or Tor is ready to give up an arm and a leg, they are not getting the 1st overall, which I don't think they will.

Plus, if you're going to make a trade, it's always best to do it out of conference. This basically means if NYI, or CAR offers a package of equal or similar value to ours, we will most likely get the deal. Florida was second last in the Eastern Conference. I know they are desperately trying to make playoffs, so logically speaking, why would they risk making either NYI or CAR a team that could beat them out for a wild card spot. Both NYI and CAR are going to be much better next year. The Florida Panthers have a long way to go to make the playoffs. It just wouldn't be smart to give NYI or CAR what they want unless it's an outrageously good deal for them. That piece could potentially put them over the top and have them take up one of those playoff spots they want.

Edmonton is kind of the x factor. It all depends on how much they want Ekbald and if they want to risk him dropping to 3. Honestly, I think they would rather want to wait instead of giving up one of their guys. If Florida is looking fro guys to complement the core of the forward group without them sending any of them back, then I don't think EDM can really deal with them. Who would they trade, Boyd Gordon? Matt Hendricks? Unless they are willing to trade Gagner or Yakupov, I don't see them moving up the 2 spots.

In summary,

Buff, Cal, and Tor = highly unlikely

NYI and Car = unlikely

Edm = most likely out of all of them but still unlikely

So then where does this leave Van? Honestly, IMO, we are in a very good position on either being able to take that first overall or of course, the most likely situation, nothing happens. But we are in the best position to land it. If Florida wants Ehlers, then they can most likely take him at #6. If someone already takes him by then, they can just get the guy that drops to 6 which wouldn't be so bad. I know we don't have a gm right now, but as an organization, we already have a good relationship with the Panthers too. Ehlers is also really small so they will probably want some roster players back. If it's true and they want Ehlers, it would only make sense to make a trade with Van and acquire a complimentary piece to their core already.

If I were the Oilers, I'd offer Yakupov and 3rd overall for Florida's first 3 picks.

Move up to get their D-man, get a couple more decent picks, and remove a headache that any day could suddenly fly the coup.

Florida still gets a high pick, and an explosive young winger to play with Huberdeau. The connections to Bure may excite fans, and generate excitement.

people have to remember that its all fine and well to trade a bunch of assets to pick 1st .. but you will trade proven players for a kid that may OR MAY NOT pan out ... there is 0 certainty that he will

Proven to not really work on this team... If people want a rebuild, trading NHL'ers for good prospects is what you have to do. There is no certainty that any method will work.

When was the last time the 1st overall pick got traded? 1999?

Yep. This draft is equally bad. Very bad. Lots of hype for guys, from people who don't watch hockey. Ekblad sucks, and so does Reinhart. Both of these guys, wouldn't crack the top 10 in next years draft, but then again. Next year's draft is stacked.

People who say Ekblad is a franchise defense man or a future Norris guy, are reading and copying it from some other idiot, who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Every prospect in this draft is overhyped right now, just cause it's close to the draft and if people knew how crap it is, no one would watch it. Scouts have been saying this for 5+ years now, that this will be the worst draft in recent memory. and nothing has happened to change their opinion on it.

Agree with what Tallon is doing, and i feel Vancouver should be trying to move their 6th for a player, who can impact the team now, or another prospect that is closer. Maybe, find a late 1st rounder from last year, cause that's still better than whats available in this draft.

Yep. This draft is equally bad. Very bad. Lots of hype for guys, from people who don't watch hockey. Ekblad sucks, and so does Reinhart. Both of these guys, wouldn't crack the top 10 in next years draft, but then again. Next year's draft is stacked.People who say Ekblad is a franchise defense man or a future Norris guy, are reading and copying it from some other idiot, who doesn't know what he's talking about.Every prospect in this draft is overhyped right now, just cause it's close to the draft and if people knew how crap it is, no one would watch it. Scouts have been saying this for 5+ years now, that this will be the worst draft in recent memory. and nothing has happened to change their opinion on it.Agree with what Tallon is doing, and i feel Vancouver should be trying to move their 6th for a player, who can impact the team now, or another prospect that is closer. Maybe, find a late 1st rounder from last year, cause that's still better than whats available in this draft.

How many games gave you seen ekblad and Reinhart live?

Yep. This draft is equally bad. Very bad. Lots of hype for guys, from people who don't watch hockey. Ekblad sucks, and so does Reinhart. Both of these guys, wouldn't crack the top 10 in next years draft, but then again. Next year's draft is stacked.

People who say Ekblad is a franchise defense man or a future Norris guy, are reading and copying it from some other idiot, who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Every prospect in this draft is overhyped right now, just cause it's close to the draft and if people knew how crap it is, no one would watch it. Scouts have been saying this for 5+ years now, that this will be the worst draft in recent memory. and nothing has happened to change their opinion on it.

Agree with what Tallon is doing, and i feel Vancouver should be trying to move their 6th for a player, who can impact the team now, or another prospect that is closer. Maybe, find a late 1st rounder from last year, cause that's still better than whats available in this draft.

Ekblad and Reinhart flat out suck, do they? Please tell us more about how you are this all-knowing pro scout.... Have you watched all their highlight packages on youtube and now you can tell that they won't be franchise players? Get out of here with that.

Just because it's not a deep draft doesn't mean there aren't any good players to be had. Also, how do you figure scouts have "known" for 5+ years now that this draft year will suck? All of the players in this draft would have been 13-14 years old at the time.

You clearly haven't watched Ekblad, the guy is an absolute beast. He'll be like Pietrangelo in his prime, his two-way abilities are off the charts.

Florida needs more D help than they do offensive help.

They've solid players at the forward group in the system and over a decade of drafting in the top 10 ish has them stacked. But they've no real D prospects or honest D men on the blueline if you look.

Any deal for that 1st involves our 6th and then either one of our young roster D men such as Tanev, Stanton or one of our prospects such as Cederholm, Hutton.

Anything more than this is a huge gamble and leaning towards an overpayment as this league hungers for Blueliners every year around UFA and trade day.

And yes, Even Edler and his horrible +/- would get a solid return, as +/- is such a horrid way to gauge a players worth. See Phaneuf, Kessel and more for proof.

Archived