The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Spezza, Phaneuf being shopped to Western Conf

He can't fight. He fell over trying to fight ruutu one time lol

He can't. But Ruutu tripped him just as he dropped his gloves.

How could the Canucks be more hated by other fans around the league? By having Dion on the team. "If that isn't rock bottom - I don't know what is"

Edler + Hansen + Schroeder for Spezza.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian Spezza Kesler

Higgins Santorelli Matthias

Booth Richardson Sestito

Bieksa Hamhuis

Tanev Garrison

Stanton Corrado

If there are cap space issues then waive Booth. I'm maybe in the minority here but I don't want to just give spots to rookies. I don't see anything wrong with putting Jensen back in AHL. I hate to see Horvat back in CHL but at the very least it keeps his ELC still at 3 years which may come in more handy when we are contenders again.

Or

Sedin Sedin Kassian

FA/prospect Spezza Kesler

Higgins Santorelli Burrows

Booth Matthias Richardson

Sestito

Bieksa Hamhuis

Tanev Garrison

Stanton Corrado

yes rly. he has a 7 mill cap hit. they would want assets to land spezza. not only is his -26 terrible other than michalek (-25) its BY FAR THE WORST ON THE TEAM. have you watched him play lately? stats aside he is not very good man. especially for the price.

that being said it says alot about the guy when the team that hes played for his entire life, the team that he captains, is so eager to trade him during an important part of their rebuild.

Like Kesler, he kills penalties.

So $7 million is too much for PPG (career) player?

The Sedins are getting $7 million each and they are NOT PPG players.

Are you saying we should dump them?

Ovie was -35 = -9 worse than Spezza, I guess you wouldn't want him on the Canucks neither?

Spezza has been a #1 center for an extremely long time, and hasnt had a legit top end winger since Heatley. Having him as a 2nd line pivot could work out much better that people think it might, and having Kesler on his wing could give us a solid top 6.

edler + booth + schroeder for spezza

He can't. But Ruutu tripped him just as he dropped his gloves.

How could the Canucks be more hated by other fans around the league? By having Dion on the team. "If that isn't rock bottom - I don't know what is"

Priceless and perfect .. best +1 all day .. :lol:

No to Phaneuf and Spezza...

Yes to acquiring the rights to James Reimer and Jake Gardiner.

Propose: Edler, Markstrom, and Sestito to Toronto for Reimer, Gardiner and Orr. Three for three.

Toronto has Bernier as no. 1 and needs a backup...Markstrom could be a very good option for TO. We need a proven 1B starter. Reimer has shown he can play, and should be capable of splitting the net with Lack; Edler is probably perceived better than we think he is...Nonis drafted him (I think)...we need fast puck moving d-man who can potentially be our PP QB; Sestito for Orr is exchange of 4th liners...except Orr can actually win fights and be an intimidating force.

No to Phaneuf and Spezza...

Yes to acquiring the rights to James Reimer and Jake Gardiner.

Propose: Edler, Markstrom, and Sestito to Toronto for Reimer, Gardiner and Orr. Three for three.

Toronto has Bernier as no. 1 and needs a backup...Markstrom could be a very good option for TO. We need a proven 1B starter. Reimer has shown he can play, and should be capable of splitting the net with Lack; Edler is probably perceived better than we think he is...Nonis drafted him (I think)...we need fast puck moving d-man who can potentially be our PP QB; Sestito for Orr is exchange of 4th liners...except Orr can actually win fights and be an intimidating force.

No hanging out to find some of the magic that had Markstrom rated as the top goalie prospect in the world, not playing in the NHl?

I'd take the rest of the deal. I do think Edler is better and worth more than Gardiner. That Toronto sort of wins that deal. But we need a player like Gardiner, with speed and puck skills, on our blue line. What we lose in value is also made up in cap, as gardiner won't (shouldn't) command $5 mill as an RFA.

Spezza has been a #1 center for an extremely long time, and hasnt had a legit top end winger since Heatley. Having him as a 2nd line pivot could work out much better that people think it might, and having Kesler on his wing could give us a solid top 6.

edler + booth + schroeder for spezza

Started the year off with Bobby Ryan

Everyone who wants to trade kes for spezza needs to shake their heads big time. If spezza d play is bad in the eastern conference, if he gets banged up an injured in the eastern conference the west will eat him alive. I am not saying he won't produce or be effective I am

Saying he will be at an increased risk for injury and a terrible plus minus depending on which team he goes to.

He is offensively gifted and would come with a steep price, I would be open to trading for him if the price was reasonable and not 1st Horvat player , not Kesler, swapping Kesler for spezza does not improve our chances of success in the playoffs. And I don't think the want a C back even, they have zibanejid (always spell wrong) an turris which is why spezza is on the block! the price would prolly be Tanev or Edler a 1st and Jensen or shinkaruk which would be outrageous!

I do not feel he is our missing piece To go all in on on, and I believe linden and whoever he appoints as GM will agree with me.

As for Phaneuf I actually like Phaneuf, he plays in market with ridiculous amounts of pressure on him eats large minutes and still had a positive plus minus I believe if I remember correctly. He is physical and has a offensive presence. Does he make mental blunders occasionally yes he does he is no Duncan Keith , subban, chara, etc.

But what he would bein to our back end is some size, a mean streak, some offense and I think he actually would look good on our back end. But the trade would depend on the asking price and if they would retain salary, the only way I could see this trade happening if shanahan and linden negotiated it as there is some bad trade blood between the organizations. (Nonis)

Either way very unlikely either will dawn an orca next yr

They didn't click .. Spezza gets injured .. Ryan and Turris develop chemistry .. voila ..

Still that's Spezza's problem. They gave him a winger and they didn't develop chemistry. The GM of Ottawa did his job.

Reminds me of when Neal was traded to be Crosby's winger but he developed great chemistry with Malkin instead and rarely plays with Crosby 5v5

Honestly, I hope they find a way to keep Spezza. Even though I like the Leafs, I would cheer for my province before any other team (except Vancouver) in the playoffs. I have a soft spot for Ottawa and Spezza is a very good player. When he's on his game Ottawa is lethal.

When Ottawa makes the playoffs and TML doesn't, then Ottawa won the battle of Ontario that year and I'd root for them in the post-season.

• 5 weeks later...

Neither are coming to the Canucks unless for whatever reason we want to forget about rebuilding and go for the Cup next season. Phaneuf desperately needs a change of scenery and is a great defenceman, but not worth 7M and definately no better than any of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison or Tanev.

As for Spezza, the guy is a career point-per-game player. If we do trade Kesler away for current forwards who can score like say Nyquist, we could acquire Spezza for prospects/picks (say Horvat and a 2nd?) and go for the Cup next season:

Nyquist - Spezza - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Corrado

Stanton

Weber

Lack

It's risky, but it could work if we're desperate for one more stab at the cup.

Archived