The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford: Do the Canucks want to be "true" cup contenders or do they simply want to make playoffs as soon as possible?

Southpop45

just making the playoffs is pointless because as mentioned we are just going to get dominated by teams like Chi and LA, as well as a few other teams in the west.

We'll be at the bottom for a while and hopefully do the same that these teams have done, assuming we develop whatever players we get well

not so pointless. owner need money making the playoffs grants him that...

LA and Chicago both spent a couple of years at the bottom of the NHL to aquire these players through the draft and thats what Vancouver needs to do now. Spend a couple year at the bottom draft and develop well and it will pay off down the road. what do you guys think?

Umm. LA spent 6 straight seasons and Chicago spent 9 out of 10 seasons out of the playoffs before they could acquire enough talent to begin to be the teams they are now. Do you really want that???

Umm. LA spent 6 straight seasons and Chicago spent 9 out of 10 seasons out of the playoffs before they could acquire enough talent to begin to be the teams they are now. Do you really want that???

Good question. Tough call. Seriously.

Chicago won 2 Cups and can win more within the next few years.

LA won one and is in the same boat as Chicago.

Canucks still don't have a Cup. If you were to tell me missing 6 straight playoffs can guarantee a Cup, I would have to seriously consider that.

yes, that's how those teams got to the top. the canucks already got to the top by different means.

the difference is that chicago has stayed at the top by making savvy trades, letting key support players walk in free agency, and replacing them with good draft choices and smart ufa signings.

Getting the drafting sorted out, if that happens, solves much of the problem. And, one does not always need high draft picks for this to occur, some very good players have been drafted with lower picks, it's an issue of having the scouting team in place who can recognize the talent.

We still have a core that can win, with the right moves and that can keep us going for a few years until the talent we draft starts to step up, all in theory of course. There is no guarantee that tanking for years is going to produce a cup, and that logic is severely flawed.

Canucks still don't have a Cup. If you were to tell me missing 6 straight playoffs can guarantee a Cup, I would have to seriously consider that.

Yeah,that's what some of us thought in the 70's,80's and 90's.

You can seriously consider that but Benning said the goal is to make the playoffs every year.

For those of us that have watched this team going on fifty years we know there are zero guarantees by losing.

If Benning is as competent as his resume reads he could turn this team into a legitimate threat ASAP through acquisition,draft and competent management of assets.

If it means we're guaranteed to win a cup yes. The problem with the 70's, and 80's is you could be under .500 and make the playoffs. What we really need is top 5 draft picks, and not just draft stars, but superstars.

Whats a common denominator on all 4 conference finals teams? All have a Norris calibre d-man.

Montreal: Subban

New York Rangers: McDonagh

LA: Doughty

Chicago: Keith (although Seabrook is more balanced)

We need a guy to keep the puck in the offensive zone, hold the line, and be fast enough to beat any forward that gets a breakaway on our goalie. And unlike Ehrhoff can actually DEFEND.

We also need forwards that show up for the playoffs.

Rangers: 8 forwards with 10 points or better.

Kings: 9 forwards with 10 points or better and two with more than 20 points.

Canadiens: 7 forwards with 10 points or better.

Blackhawks: 7 forwards with 10 points or better.

Great defence, plus 3+ lines that can score, and a team that can play any style, and dictates the tempo of the game = Cup.

But.....anything can happen in the playoffs.

This kind of thinking will put us back a few years... It's time to accept that we need to rebuild, it's an eventuality and something that will need to be done sooner rather than later.

No more 'retooling' or 'adjusting' please. It's time to rebuild.

Nuck nit;

It appears that we have both been watching this team from the beginning. You might agree with me then that this org has never been deep in talent. Especially talent that they purposely developed. They have always put making playoffs as a priority to the point of trading youth away for the missing part that would either get them to playoffs or possibly winning a CUP. I suggest the only time that has paid off was Quinn's drive in '94.

If by chance the NYR win a CUP this year it will be one of those rare events where a team was constructed, mostly, through trades. It can be done but most fans have scratched their heads over how Sather has retained his job in NY. He might have the last laugh after all.

I think that a serious rebuild is the safer route for Van to pursue versus the tinkering approach which has often been the case. The Canucks have a rare opportunity to convert some of the vets into prospects and picks which has to happen. I am more comfortable with Linden and Benning making those choices than Gillis. I have to assume that Benning's scouting background will give the org a leg up on any changes he might undertake.

Who saw the Rangers shutting down Crosby and Montreal embarassing Boston?

Anything can happen in the playoffs thanks to good coaching and matchups. Sure the West seems fixed with these playoff performing teams constantly ending up at the Finals, but the Canucks match up VERY well against Chicago and the other teams in their division like St. Louis and even Colorado.

If we can squeak into the playoffs, thanks to the new format we might not have to play a Californian team for a while. If we end up with a 1st round matchup against say Chicago or St. Louis, the Canucks are actually a favourite in that situation (I know Chicago look amazing right now but we've had their number of late, I believe the only team that has a winning record against them ). We know San Jose is likely to blow itself up so they may not slaughter us anymore with their new team as well, so if we get a 2nd round match up against them and a 3rd round match up against say St. Louis (who we actually dominated even last season) we could go deep.

Match-ups are everything, and so is a season's worth of turn around. Last year the Rangers missed the playoffs - they got a new coach, made some BIG trades at the deadline and now they're in the Finals. If they can do it, the Canucks can too.

It wasn't that hard to predict New York beating Pittsburgh. They have some of the best shut down D-Man in the league. Not to mention their depth is a lot better than Pittsburgh's.

Nor was it that hard to see Montreal beating Boston. Boston (Chara especially) has shown they have trouble facing fast, skilled teams (the Canucks were never fast), not to mention Montreal has good depth.

I can't see the Nuck fanbase (or owners) putting up with that. Ticket sales would plummet and the team would wither away. Highly unlikely that guys like Benning and Linden would let that happen.

The next couple of years are going to be pivotal for this team. It's a risky situation, but if management play their cards well, the Nucks have a chance at getting the pieces they need to become a very good team. Some core members must be moved and replaced by younger talent. Focusing on developing the prospects well and giving them a chance to perform is optimum. Luckily, the team now has a GM that has a solid reputation around the league and is known for his ability for assessing hockey talent.

As I see it, the Nucks need a rebuild of the entire second line, as well as bringing in a young mobile dman. Kes will likely be traded for young talent, but those players will be still in the development stage. Right now we have Sedins, (maybe Bur), Kassian and (maybe Jensen) as top 6 players. I don't see a prospect ready to play 2nd line C, so the management will have to make a trade for a good young player or find a short term replacement (UFA - Legwand?). There's no telling whether any of the prospects are ready to make the team.

With Higgins and Hansen not playing on the top 6, the bottom 6 looks a lot better. One of those guys will probably be packaged in a trade if Santo is signed. If a couple of prospects stepping up, the team has some nice choices for the bottom 6.

Right now, there are no mobile dmen in the prospect pool (other than Subban, who is years away). The team should go hard for Matt Niskanen, who could fill that role for a long while. I think that one of the top D will have to be traded for a good prospect as well.

I think the Sedins are the cornerstone of this team and will be a fabulous influence on the young players. They may be on the decline, but nothing like last year. In time, they will gradually be replaced by younger players and will move to the 2nd line.

Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Jensen and most of the prospects should not be traded.

Lack and Markstrom will be a solid goalie tandem.

Due to the necessity for the team to acquire younger players/prospects, a couple of dmen should be packaged in trades. I would say that Hamhuis and Bieksa are the untouchables.

All said and done, I sure am glad that JB and TL are at the helm to make these very difficult decisions.

Well thankyou mr Botchford. It might be new insight to him but some of us have been saying this all along. We want a cup. Not half baked teams that make the first round. I am prepared to wait to get it.

He has said the like before, just wrote an article...

But.....anything can happen in the playoffs.

Of course anything can happen in the payoffs, but it doesn't. The good teams win and the bad ones lose. People will say look at the number 8 seeds. The number 8 seeds that have done well were excellent teams that had odd regular seasons for some reason- injuries, adjustment to new coach, hangover from past cup...If by your statement you mean to say that the Canucks could win the Cup if the get in the playoffs somehow, well you are dreaming- compare the Canucks to Chicago and LA. They have Doughty and Keith, we have Bieksa, they have Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Carter, we have the Sedins.

If it means we're guaranteed to win a cup yes. The problem with the 70's, and 80's is you could be under .500 and make the playoffs. What we really need is top 5 draft picks, and not just draft stars, but superstars.

Whats a common denominator on all 4 conference finals teams? All have a Norris calibre d-man.

Montreal: Subban

New York Rangers: McDonagh

LA: Doughty

Chicago: Keith (although Seabrook is more balanced)

We need a guy to keep the puck in the offensive zone, hold the line, and be fast enough to beat any forward that gets a breakaway on our goalie. And unlike Ehrhoff can actually DEFEND.

We also need forwards that show up for the playoffs.

Rangers: 8 forwards with 10 points or better.

Kings: 9 forwards with 10 points or better and two with more than 20 points.

Canadiens: 7 forwards with 10 points or better.

Blackhawks: 7 forwards with 10 points or better.

Great defence, plus 3+ lines that can score, and a team that can play any style, and dictates the tempo of the game = Cup.

We had all that in 2011. That's why we went all the way to game 7. And Ehrhoff didn't need to be a shutdown D ... He just moved the puck out. Just like Salo did that year.

Chicago won 2 Cups and can win more within the next few years.

LA won one and is in the same boat as Chicago.

LA had 3 years with a top 5 pick

Chicago had 6 top 10 picks.

Many of those picks floped

The only rebuild picks LA and CHI still have on their team is Doughty, Kane and Toews, Thats three lucky picks out of 9 that actually turned out for there team.

Kopitar, Keith, Brown, Seabrook were not rebuild picks. In fact, they were all picks when the teams just missed out making playoffs in 9th and 10th seed.

Sometimes you luck out and pick generational talent, many times you don't. Many times you pick it up in later rounds Benn, Subban, Weber. Rebuilding really has only worked for 2 teams. PIts and CHI, I wouldn't even consider LA as a rebuild team as they finished 11-15th more than they finished in the bottom 5. The list on the side of teams that rebuilding hasn't worked out for is a lot greater. FLA, WGP/ATL, EDM, CBJ, NYI, WSH.

Archived