The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings have 'considerable interest' in Edler

Id be willing to eat Weiss' contract with Mantha and a 1st for an Edler + combo.

Although I know the inevitable comments will pour in about how Edler is totally worthless. GM's still desire him regardless

Stealing players "cheap" by taking on "good" players on bad contracts is exactly what took away our competitiveness in recent years. The cap hits for bad contracts with Lou, Ballard and Booth undercut any opportunity to capitalize on our "window."

I'm more apt to take on Franzen who is still productive. But really, if they want Edler, or Kesler for that matter; just let them put up a legit offer?

If it helps our team take it.

If he was packaged with Kesler, and got to play alongside Kronwall, why not? A trade like that keeps them out of the West which is my biggest fear of trading Kesler or Edler to say Anaheim, which is one direct way of losing 6 games a year and staying out of the playoffs.

I still believe Edler can bounce back with the right defence partner and coach. We've seen how good he can be - a 50 point producer, fantastic PP quaterback and absolute monster who knows how to hit perfectly, and his hits are painful. A defenceman like that is a rarity. At his best, he's a poor man's Subban.

The easy route out would be to throw Kes and Edler Detroit's way for say Nyquist and Sheahan or a bunch of prospects and start building a new core around them + Horvat/Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Tanev/Corrado/Lack, however I still have faith that Edler can revive his game - especially with a new coach coming in.

If it's John Stevens (defensive expert), he might be able to tweak Edler's game again to get him to simplify his play and play better positionally which may be all he needs. I'd like to see Benning make a few moves to give us better depth up front and maybe a veteran goalie and see what this D-core looks like under a new, better coach before we go throwing big pieces away and committing to a 3-5 year rebuild.

The crazy thing about Edler is that even though he had a gawd-awful season, he still put up 22 points which is fairly decent for a defenseman and he is not 30 yet. I'd hope that if we were to trade Edler to the Wings, we would get their mid-1st round pick, one of Sheahan/Tatar/Jurco, and B. Smith. Or Nyquist straight up but I think that's more of a pipe dream.

How did AV lose him exactly? his last full season under AV was 49 points. Then in a lockout shortened season he was on pace for a near 50 point season again under AV

Then Torts happened and he puts up 22 points. Lowest in his career, coupled with a team that had its worst season in over a decade.

Please in ALL honesty, if you're going to post. At least do it from a point of credibility and honest facts. he had 1 other NHL coach not named AV in his career and he suffered like the entire team.

i like that in your world 40 is referred to as "near 50".

keep that glass half full.

Really? That is a brutal return unless that plus is a couple great players....

Don't expect to get an overwelming return since Edler's value is at an all time low.

Helm + Sproul and and maybe a mid pick is at most I see DET offering right now.

Stealing players "cheap" by taking on "good" players on bad contracts is exactly what took away our competitiveness in recent years. The cap hits for bad contracts with Lou, Ballard and Booth undercut any opportunity to capitalize on our "window."

I'm more apt to take on Franzen who is still productive. But really, if they want Edler, or Kesler for that matter; just let them put up a legit offer?

If it helps our team take it.

The issue with the mule is that horrendous contract though. Another retirement contract on this team. I understand the whole Wiess issue being fundamentally similar as the Booth issue and what we've seen recently. But for Mantha and that 1st it is darned attractive

Shrewd, but if he's gonna be a dick about it, let him stew. I just don't think THAT would be a good message to send our locker room.

You cannot listen to anything the Heff says about Edler, as according to him he has less value than Tootoo on a bender

Nyquist is worth a lot more than you think.

I would consider the ONLY untouchable prospect/rookie/elc player that Det has. he is producing at an awesome rate on the club where the rest are AHL or CHL players

Archived