The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks wont ask Alex Edler to waive NTC

AriGold

Well at least the fans will still be able to bitch.

Jesus christ the playoffs aren't even over yet.

Yeah I know. It's waaaay to early to be complaining.

I just don't like what I'm hearing from the new management team as everything they've said so far leads me to believe that this old, stale, and slow core will still be here for a while. I realize that a deal may happen with Kes, but it may not. The remaining core all have NTC's, so it's quite possible that we'll see no movement there.

I'm actually holding out hope that the messaging they're giving us is simply to maintain player value for any possible deals they may have up their sleeves. But the reality is that it seems likely the same group will be around for a while.

Buyout Garrison?

Loses all credibility with that simple sentence.

Linden et co. Can say all they want. I am sure we have all heard GMs say the exact same thing a dozen times. Remember Schneider? Luongo? Hodgson? Linden? Rochards, Carter, Bryzgalov and so many more.

If there is a deal that makes the team that much better it gets made provided Eddy waives.

Why buy out Garrison when the guy has never really been on the trade block. I am positive the Canucks can get assets for Garrison. Buy out is a waste of money. Garrison would be with a new team within a week.

I just don't like what I'm hearing from the new management team as everything they've said so far leads me to believe that this old, stale, and slow core will still be here for a while. I realize that a deal may happen with Kes, but it may not. The remaining core all have NTC's, so it's quite possible that we'll see no movement there.

I'm actually holding out hope that the messaging they're giving us is simply to maintain player value for any possible deals they may have up their sleeves. But the reality is that it seems likely the same group will be around for a while.

I doubt it. No team comes in 6th last and stands pat. It's not like this is a team they built and still have faith in.

I hear the repeated words "difficult decisions". Just because they want to keep edler doesn't mean others won't be made.

I can see why, he's on the younger end of the core. Torts system destroyed the entire teams play so they probably think they can find the right man to get him and others going again.

I'm thinking after the Kesler meetings they get the sense they can move him and that will be enough of a "major" shake up. I'm sure other moves will follow to open up roster spots for whatever comes back in the trade. Kes and edler would be about the only blockbusters we could make. They probably got the green light on Kes so no need to force Eddie out.

One interesting thought is how they straight up came out and said edler isn't going to be traded. They did the complete opposite with Kesler. You gotta think he's all but done in Vancouver after reading this.

My goodness, how did we go from this:

to 2013-14 Edler?

I think he's worth another chance with a coach that helps his game. He's only just turned 28; as a defenseman, he could still have at least another 5 good years, well within chance for our rebuilt/re-tooled cup run. What he needs is confidence, and I think that's something we can help with as fans.

The Penguins and Ducks apparently had 'significant' interest in Kesler at the deadline too, and look how low value the rumoured offers were for him. 'Significant' is relative, and I'm sure if someone approached Linden and Benning with a knock your socks off type deal, he'd consider it.

A player's value is only as high as other teams are willing to pay. It's economics 101. At some point management needs to get a clue

A player's value is only as high as other teams are willing to pay. It's economics 101. At some point management needs to get a clue

MG never could grasp that concept I'm sure our new think tank will.

People don't understand, you don't have to move all your tradable assets at draft day. Edler,Kesler, Garrison, Burrows, and pretty much all our tradable assets are not on a two day contract where we can't move them later on. Benning is trying to turn this team into a playoff team next year. If the team starts sucking again, we can still trade them. Because Edler won't be traded this offseason does not mean we're doomed. Linden is just taking a gamble, and a rather small one at that, in keeping him. Say he does bounce back and becomes an all star next season, rightfully so, all the fans will come crawling back to Edler who used to be in my personal top 5 favorite Canucks. But worst case scenario, say he does suck this year again, well if GMs still highly coveted Edler after 2 mediocre or worse seasons, they will probably still be there within a couple of months. Personally I wouldn't mind keeping him but only if it means keeping Kesler. (I'm not big on the trade Kesler bandwagon and apparently neither is Benning or Linden. Without him I'm not sure we make playoffs next year like Benning wants.)

What I'm guessing is that means Garrison may be going out which honestly, would he waive his no trade? I mean he took a pay cut so he could play at home in Vancouver. 2 years into his contract, I'm not sure he waives, but hey maybe. Hopefully to florida, Buffalo, or Edmonton in a package for a top 3 pick

What do people expect TL to say? "Oh yeah, we're going to ask Edler to waive right away...just pass the word on to him will you? We don't think he's any good, but if Detroit wants him, they can have him.

The team just acquired a GM and have barely had time to start evaluating the team. Right now they are focusing on the draft and probably some sort of Kesler trade.

Again, the article implies that TL wouldn't ask Elder to waive, it doesn't actually quote him. I suspect that TL would say wonderful things about every one of the players when talking to the press. He's a classy guy and would never discuss management plans with outsiders.

It's a long summer ahead and there is plenty of time to make adjustments to the team.

If were trading a defenceman away, its either Garrison, Tanev or both. Edler is still young on a great contract considering what UFA defencemen are getting these days.

So trade our leading scoring defenseman and our arguably best defensive defenseman who's still young? Maybe I'm in the minority but I like Garrison. He performed the best out of a dismal year for everybody, and he's got a howitzer. And Tanev just continues to improve, slowly adding offence to his game.

What i heard on 1040 this morning - taken with a big grain of salt - is that its Edler that refused to give up his no trade, otherwise they would be shopping him. I wish they could get rid of him and his big contract. Another idiot move by Gillis in not trading him before his NTC kicked in. Sorry for all you true believers, but Edler is not the second coming of Lidstrom.

There is no doubt that this was a disappointing season for our team. There is also no doubt that Edler was horrible. But I just want to point out a few things:

Firstly, just because the team in general played poorly doesn't mean changes in every area need to be made just for the sake of making them. People want to blow up our blueline, but really - I think we have a very good D core and couldn't imagine doing something like buying out Garrison. Why would we do that?!

Yes, Edler had a horrible year. He was painful to watch. But people seem to forget what he managed to do just a couple of years ago. He was a stud who laid out the big hits, had the big shots, and all while not being *quite* as defensively abysmal as he was year. I don't think the kid is particularly bright, and when he has to overthink his game it literally falls apart. And last year, between his international suspension, the coaching changes, and the team generally having a horrible year, he ended up overthinking his game way too much and suffered from it. It is a risk, but I applaud Linden for taking that risk on Edler. If Linden can return him to his former self, this will seem like a smart move compared to letting him go in a trade which would inevitably see the return not being particularly impressive given Edler's regression.

What does Linden see in Edler we all don't? I don't get it.

"We all..."? Let's not lump everyone together mmmkay?

Where do you fit in a puck mover if they all stay?

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Puck Mover

Garrison-Bieksa

Neither Garrison nor Bieksa will want to be a 3rd pairing guy. And there is no sense getting a 3rd pairing puck mover. They need a guy who can play big minutes in all situations if they want Edler to actually reach his former glory.

I personally think you take the bounty for Bieksa and give Corrado that spot or you trade Garrison and have Stanton-Bieksa as your 3rd pairing. I would not even be upset to see both Garrison and Bieksa traded and Stanton-Corrado as the 3rd pairing if the puck mover is a premium one.

I still say Tanev's odd man out but it could also be Garrison traded. We'll see. Either way:

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Edler, PMD

Garrison/Tanev, Stanton

Weber/UFA

Buyout Booth, likely trade Hansen and one of Tanev/Garrison, sign/trade for a PMD and possibly a young top 6 forward, inject some youth and possibly a Kesler blockbuster. Sounds like a fair bit of change to me.

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows/Jensen

Prospect/UFA/trade, Kesler(?), Kassian

Higgins, Horvat, Santorelli

Kenins, Matthias, Richardson

Schroeder

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Edler, PMD (Niskanen?)

Garrison/Tanev, Stanton

Weber

Why don't we see how the draft goes and what moves Benning/Linden actually make leading up to it and over the next couple months before we all start reaching for the panic button, ok?

What do people expect TL to say? "Oh yeah, we're going to ask Edler to waive right away...just pass the word on to him will you? We don't think he's any good, but if Detroit wants him, they can have him.

The team just acquired a GM and have barely had time to start evaluating the team. Right now they are focusing on the draft and probably some sort of Kesler trade.

Again, the article implies that TL wouldn't ask Elder to waive, it doesn't actually quote him. I suspect that TL would say wonderful things about every one of the players when talking to the press. He's a classy guy and would never discuss management plans with outsiders.

It's a long summer ahead and there is plenty of time to make adjustments to the team.

Good post! Relax people...hae you ever heard a GM come out and say..."we don't like so and so and we're planning to trade him". It never happens, for a lot of good reasons. Patience folks...the Canucks won't be remade in a day...it's going to take some time. Next step is the draft and that is 3+ weeks away still.

In 6 months you'll all be on your knees praising Edler.

Same people wanted Bieksas head after he had a few injuries and a rough season. Edler is a great defenseman that loves the city he's in. Stop running our own players out of town.

Wasn't running lui out enough?

I have been all for trading Edler... but this probably shows why the real hockey people are smarter than I am.

It has been so disappointing to see that the guy just doesn't have the attitude to be the Norris calibre defenceman that he has all the tools to be. That ticks us off and makes us want to ditch him.

On the other hand, his contract means that we are really only paying him the equivalent of a #3-4 guy. If you look at it that way, he is pretty good bang for the buck.

I hope he can improve his game, and the team can get another top paring D in order to shore up the defence. We have a bunch of guys who are pretty good... but none that excel.

Archived