The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks wont ask Alex Edler to waive NTC

AriGold

One of the newspaper guys were on team 1040 with don and barry, he said linden is a big edler supporter, he was impressed with edler when they were teammates so expect him to go no where.

I don't understand why some people on CDC have such a big problem giving this a guy a chance to rebound .

As you suggest Linden might think highly of Edler but I doubt that prevents the same assessment by the

entire management group that all players will be under. If other teams have approached Vancouver about a deal for Edler it has to be considered. Two coaches, AV and Torts, have struggled with Edler's performance. It does make a dif who the new coach is but it will come down to a Linden/Benning decision. One scenario might be a new coach and a review of Edler's performance up to the trade deadline next

March. The risk is that Edler continues to perform poorly and his trade value drops. I cannot see Van

moving Edler for less than 2 1st rounders or a prospect and a 1st rounder. His contract is very appealing and with a dif roster he could re-establish himself.

It would be a very difficult decision in any event to move Edler. His age gives management time to

reground his game. As much as I hate to say it if a top 4 was to be moved it makes more sense that a

Bieksa go. As always it is all about what is offered in return.

This is the defence core that helped us to two president trophies and a SCF. We had a horrible coach last year that confused the S#^% out of everyone. Give Edler, Hamhuis, Bieska, Garrison along with new blood in Tanev and Corrado a chance to bounce back... they seem pretty motivated. I'd also love to see us pick up UFA Matt Greene... he is the net clearing mean defenceman we have been missing since Willie Mitchell (thanks a lot Gillis). If we have to trade one of them for cap reasons I would trade Garrison to Florida (if he is willing?) as part of a deal to help get Reinhart. It's very difficult to capture a winning culture in the dressing room, just ask the Edmonton Oilers. We would be dumb to rip apart this dressing room... just start adding young offensive players and hope that the Canucks can get their MOJO back with a new coach and new management.

Elder has to go! Horrible play, Bi-Polar attitude, and admittited back issues that will never be 100%!!!! We must show that sh&@ won't fly

So, are you saying both have to go Elder and Edler? :)

Maybe we can exchange Elder's back with Edler and just trade Elder.

Win Win!

Linden is quoted in this article regarding Edler.

The possibility of a buyout for Garrison is conjecture on Kuzma's part. Stirring the pot. There is no commentary in that regard!

And in a different look at the same conversation: I'd like to respond to whomever commented "what does Linden see in Edler that the rest of us don't?"

First of all, Linden is a hockey player, who played with Edler on the ice, not a sulking hockey fan. He knows better than anybody what Edler's skills are, how he does and does not contribute to winning any given shift.

Newsflash, Alex Edler is not a Norris candidate. He is also not paid like one. I hate to say it, but I hope Edler stays and proves to the doubters that he can contribute to his pay scale. If he doesn't then you can rub it in my face. I also firmly believe Danny and Hank will have bounce back seasons, so I may be a glass half full guy.

In Trevor we trust.

Sure he only showed it on the stats sheet the most last year, but Edler has been crappy ever since he signed his contract. Casual in his own end, frequently out of position while the opponent taps the puck in with impunity. I don't care if he can potentially score 40ish pts, if the puck is going into our net when he's on the ice, he's a liability.

I thought we could get a great return for Edler, it's disappointing to see that we'll likely be seeing another year of mediocrity from him.

Edit: What are we 12? Why not just censor cursing regularly instead of inserting misspelled words?

What does Linden see in Edler we all don't? I don't get it.

Maybe it's the other way around. Perhaps he just hasn't been watching many Canucks games as of late and doesn't know of the atrocities that have been at the hands of Edler.

One of the newspaper guys were on team 1040 with don and barry, he said linden is a big edler supporter, he was impressed with edler when they were teammates so expect him to go no where.

I don't understand why some people on CDC have such a big problem giving this a guy a chance to rebound .

because he's swedish and isn't a local boy like hamhuis and Garrison. They can have a bad year and no one complains but when it's the swede everyone makes him the scapegoat

Getting Tortorella away from the Canucks will do wonders for the D, especially Edler - they can get back to playing man on man, instead of that stupid zone that none of them understood and ended up half the time with both D in the same corner and no-one in front.

Maybe it's the other way around. Perhaps he just hasn't been watching many Canucks games as of late and doesn't know of the atrocities that have been at the hands of Edler.

Do you really think that? :picard:

"Oh I'm going to become the president of hockey ops for Vancouver. I haven't been paying attention to the team or teammates that I grew up playing for."

What a ridiculous statement.

Archived