The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Okay. How about Virtanen was always the better pick?

Could you imagine watching the Canucks, with their long history of drafting heartless imps and trading Cam Neely, passing on a higher-rated, more NHL-ready speedy sniper big body local kid to draft some perimeter-playing prettyboy wuss? Okay, I can. But how about changing that pattern?

I'm glad Benning made the obviously correct decision. Not sure why people are still on Nylander's jock, but at least the Ehlers talk has subsided a bit. Neither are going to be good enough or strong enough to be top liners in either conference.

Ehlers, btw, is doing worse without Drouin there. Gee, really?

And look, Virtanen is turning into a playmaker now. 2g 7a. Wow, it's like... He's a legit hockey player and not a no-vision hack.

I was thrilled when Benning took Virtanen. What if Kassian doesn't take his game to the next level?? JV is very much like Neely and Rick Vaive, another power forward who was traded by the Canucks and blossomed into a 50-goal scorer in Toronto. I'm not surprised that JV's goalscoring is down, due to the rust of coming back from shoulder surgery.

Great to see that JV's assist totals are up. It shows that he is becoming more of a complete hockey player.

I like Nylander and he will be great. However, a player like JV can never be passed over. Especially, when being a local boy who has dreamed of being drafted by the home team is a huge added bonus.

• Upvote 1

Super series tonight! 5pm WHL vs Russia to kick the tourney off

hopefully Jake Virtanen shows some good stuff tonight...should be fun to watch him and team WHL as its a more offensively skilled laden, chippy team than the last few years WHL has put up against the russians

Is that being broadcasted anywhere this evening?

Doesn't matter if it's gone fast and skilled or big and physical -- Jake does all :)

Again, all I can say is I am 100% sure I have watched JV play live than anyone on this board. Just wait and see, as long as he keeps his fire and determination he is can't miss. His family is solid and he plays on the edge.

I'm excited to see the game tonight, first time I'll have seen him play since the U18's.

same here, except this time its a bigger deal because before he wasnt our prospect,

hopefully he can make a few big hits on the Russians and dish out some assists! speaking of Russians, is tryamkin playing?

I like Nylander and he will be great. However, a player like JV can never be passed over. Especially, when being a local boy who has dreamed of being drafted by the home team is a huge added bonus.

Again, all I can say is I am 100% sure I have watched JV play live than anyone on this board. Just wait and see, as long as he keeps his fire and determination he is can't miss. His family is solid and he plays on the edge.

Could you just imagine, in a few years Virtanen coming in here with Winnipeg or Toronto and lighting us up? Absolutely no end to the shame.

Klimchuk-Reinhart ( C ) -Virtanen
Baillie-Bleackley-Descheneau
Ully-Petan(A)-Point
Chase-Quenneville-Hawryluk
Fleury-Morrissey(A)
Sanheim-Bowey
Heatherington-Hicketts
Theodore
Comrie
That's the lines, hopefully Virtanen can load up on the points playing along side Reinhart.
Edited by Plum