The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

The thing I like about how Virtanen has played in the tourney is he has shown how valuable his diversity is above some of the other picks. His speed and physicality allows him to play on any line. Whether its an energy line or offensive line.

Because of this he might make the bigs sooner than a guy like ehlers or nylander.

I hope he gets 9 games next year on a 4th line role like horvat this year and let him see first hand where he needs to improve.

I meant that Carter is in his prime, so his skillset is fully developed, where Virtanen is 18 years old.

Well I did say that

EDIT: my bad, I didn't proprely structure that response. the "what does that mean" was for the 1st quote.

Also Carter is in his prime, so his skillset is fully developed, where Virtanen is 18 years old. Could you say that Carter had skillset {A,B,C,D,E,H,F} at 18 years old? Virtanen's skillset is going to mature with age just like any other player in the NHL.

When you're comparing players you always tend to compare them to established NHLers... but obviously the comparable is going to be the benchmark/ideal scenario. Again, i keep stressing that Virtanen and Carter are by no means carbon copies. I just feel like the 3 best assets in Jake's game are comparable to Carter's.

Edited by junglesniper

Anyone hear if Virtanen will still be on the second line to start? Or does Fabbri slot in there the way it was adjusted late last game.

Virtanen will be on the second line to start. Groulx mentioned in an interview yesterday or today that he really likes the chances that the second line is generating. It was in response to Mark Masters asking if Groulx felt that line was due for a big game as they have been playing well. Sounds like he is happy with that trio right now.

Virtanen's last shift of the last game came with 3.5 minutes left. He was out with Lazar and McDavid. I don't see anything that may have happened in the final 3 minutes (1 or 2 shifts) having an impact on line combinations to start the next game.

Well I did say that

EDIT: my bad, I didn't proprely structure that response. the "what does that mean" was for the 1st quote.

When you're comparing players you always tend to compare them to established NHLers... but obviously the comparable is going to be the benchmark/ideal scenario. Again, i keep stressing that Virtanen and Carter are by no means carbon copies. I just feel like the 3 best assets in Jake's game are comparable to Carter's.

I figured we're on the same page. I think there are at least a few Carter attributes in Jakes' game.

Jake really needs to improve his positioning. I have found myself on multiple occasions throughout this tournament wondering where virt is, the pucks around the net and hes not in view, then he shows up flying to the net as soon as it starts going the other way. His back check also leaves something to be desired sometimes.

Guest Dasein

What does that even mean? Of course two players aren't going to be identical (even the Sedin twins have differences in their game), but all I'm saying is that the way Virtanen fits the Carter mold the best in my eyes because of the 3 characteristics of his game.

Exactly

Also Carter is in his prime, so his skillset is fully developed, where Virtanen is 18 years old. Could you say that Carter had skillset {A,B,C,D,E,H,F} at 18 years old? Virtanen's skillset is going to mature with age just like any other player in the NHL.

Fair enough - but even if we compare a younger Jeff Carter, I don't think they play a similar game.

Jeff Carter is 6'4" 220+lbs - he has immense reach and puck protection skills along with playmaking abilities - Jake lacks that in his game. Although he's big, at 6'1" Jake can't play the game that Carter plays - Carter's always had more in his tool box than Jake because he can hold the puck and make plays.

Instead, Jake is a lot more physical, which was never a big part of Carter's game. So that's one thing Jake has over Carter I suppose.

I'd say a more apt comparable are Dustin Brown and Wayne Simmonds - fights, hits, skates and scores.

Edited by Dasein

He floats in the offensive zone. Always on the left side and is expecting a pass to come to him. He needs to go down low to retrieve pucks. Frustrating watching him play !

Thanks coach. Oh wait, you're not the coach. The coach is telling Virtanen where to be.