The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On the subject of captaincies going to passionate players...

If there is someone in that locker room who is vocal, passionate, and willing to speak up, I'd like to think that they would do just that regardless of whether or not they have a letter on their jersey. If the player is respected and liked within that room, the other players would be willing to listen.

Question for those that think it's likely Virtanen secured a spot next camp...

How would you compare that career projection up until then with that of Gilbert Brule? Similarities? Differences?

In terms of perception, the perception of Brule at the time would have been much higher than the perception of Brule now. Brule was talked about in conversations with Crosby. Brule said that the difference between him and Crosby was that he was more defensively aware.

A number of problems with Brule though, especially off-ice distractions. Not his fault necessarily (his dad was psycho a la Jack Johnson's parents), but I think that affected his development. Brule is a great example of how very few picks are a 'sure thing'.

Virtanen is faster than Brule, larger, stronger, and a better shot. Brule knew more about defensive positioning.

Brule was a more heralded pick, but I think Virtanen's unique skills make him much more likely to excel at the NHL level.

In terms of perception, the perception of Brule at the time would have been much higher than the perception of Brule now. Brule was talked about in conversations with Crosby. Brule said that the difference between him and Crosby was that he was more defensively aware.

A number of problems with Brule though, especially off-ice distractions. Not his fault necessarily (his dad was psycho a la Jack Johnson's parents), but I think that affected his development. Brule is a great example of how very few picks are a 'sure thing'.

Virtanen is faster than Brule, larger, stronger, and a better shot. Brule knew more about defensive positioning.

Brule was a more heralded pick, but I think Virtanen's unique skills make him much more likely to excel at the NHL level.

I meant mostly in the sense of his injury at the same age and then subsequently rushed to the NHL in his 2nd year after being deaf Ed, what many here propose to do with Virtanen.

I feel that many of these same people would also say that Brule was ruined by Columbus to a certain extent.

• Upvote 1

Bo seemed to get super amped up when he scores in the OHL playoffs - so there is that side of him in the playoffs you don't see regularly during the season.

He did also get very emotional after his first pre-season goal vs SJS to get the monkey off his back.

EDIT: whoa, this is a Virtanen thread.

Anywho.. what's Jake up to lately?

Edited by Dasein

you think bo's not the same way? they have pretty much the same demeanor.

No not really. For example, when Toews sees something he doesn't like from the opposing teams he lets them know and he gets really chippy and testy about it, he stands up for himself and wears his heart on his sleeve. He makes sure the other teams pay for it one way or another. When have you seen Bo stand up for himself when he gets slashed/nailed with a hit by an opposing player? While that's great discipline, I don't think hockey players should always be turning the other cheek. I don't blame him, he's following in the Sedins' footsteps and that's great and all because I love the Sedins but I just can't take another decade or so of this team getting pushed around. It starts with the team captain setting an example.

lol at whoever suggested Linden was the same way. Linden was definitely more Toews-like (or vice versa) than Sedin-like.

Virtanen is the type of player that others gravitate to in the dressing room. With one hit Virtanen can fire the boyz up. Bo is a great leader too. Hard to say who id give the C to but you don't need the C to be a leader in the room. i.e, Bieksa

Edited by Outsiders