The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake could be as fast as Bure. He is much bigger and has some beauty moves.

I think he is on a line with Horvat and Dorsett next year and that line gets 3rd line minutes.

Jake has high end speed but Bure had the insane acceleration that put him at top speed in like 2 strides, wish I coulda seen him live, my fav player ever. Im soooo stoked for Virtanen though.

Maybe it's just because they're juniors, but Jake is constantly blowing by guys like that. Perhaps his speed is deceptive coming in, or he kicks another gear and they get flat-footed.

Could be his size that makes him deceptive, not many guys his size have such raw speed, love it.

Looking back : http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/18/jake-virtanen-is-good-so-don-t-draft-him

Either way I still fully understand the Canucks decision to take Virtanen. If we picked Ehlers or Nylander and the became serviceable, yet undersized 35-40 point 2nd line fringe players and Virtanen became a 50-60 point power forward our fanbase would be up in arms that we passed on a player like that, who is also a BC boy.

Yet if Virtanen becomes a chippy 20 point, 3rd line player and Ehlers / Nylander become 60-70 point 1st line players you probably won't hear any complaints (as long as Virtanen plays physical).

I agree that Virtanen is probably higher risk pick with a lower ceiling, given all of the factors he was the safer selection.

I think Virtanen will be a solid NHL player one day, but we probably did miss drafting a legit first line talent in either Ehlers or Nylander. The Canucks had the most difficult selection of the draft.

I don't think the top 5 (other than Ekblad) will be very good relative to other drafts, but there were a lot of gems throughout the first round/early second.