The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I love the Irony in this. You said "Hamhuis sucks" and "Should be off the team" in another thread. Guess what Hammer and Virtanen have in common? BOTH represented Canada at their respected levels and BOTH got gold. :picard:

hammer has sucked this yr because he needs major surgery if im canucks id shut him down have you seen how bad hes played last 20 games he cant skate or pivot

here r game 1 and game 2 highlight

He had a definitely turned his game around in terms of scoring chances in game 2. He was great in 2nd and 3rd period..

though he did had some turn overs and giveaways, they didnt really materialized into scoring chances which was good

gosh...the play by play voice is one i listened to for 10 years on afternoon shift but havent heard in years.....

SportsTalk with Dan Russel...cue the electric drum roll

He had a definitely turned his game around in terms of scoring chances in game 2. He was great in 2nd and 3rd period..

though he did had some turn overs and giveaways, they didnt really materialized into scoring chances which was good

Less than 15 minutes of ice-time is disappointing, especially for a draft +1 year, for a top ten pick, in a tight game, in the playoffs, with the game going into overtime.

Hitman role 4 lines pretty consistently. I would be surprised if 15 TOI wasn't about normal for Virtanen.

Aside from one bad giveaway, he hasnt played that badly. He can definitely play better though. He almost crushed Reinhart, he made a few good plays and got a few chances. Hes so fast and intimidating it covers up some of his positional dificiencies.

hammer has sucked this yr because he needs major surgery if im canucks id shut him down have you seen how bad hes played last 20 games he cant skate or pivot

What?

What?!?!??!?!

Enough of this B.S. Hamhuis has been by far one of the best d-man in our line-up.

Edited by TheOddCanuckling

My impression of him is that he's far too fast for Calgary and he constantly has to slow down and wait for his linemates. He's also been the most physically dominant player in any given game he's been in this season. Calgary's been using him in all situations, with many different linemates, but esp. in a shutdown role. He is able to tightly check any assignment because of his speed and size, and it's not just him plowing guys into the boards shift-to-shift, he has an active stick as well. He even takes some important defensive zone faceoffs and can win them. This is intriguing because that means his reported 'lack of defense' is pure mythology.

It's just a guess, but I can see Jim Benning possibly being involved with this type of usage, if not Virtanen himself. To get Virtanen more focused on defensive assignments instead of trying to score as many goals as possible. This will only make him a better, more complete NHLer in the future.

The only thing I see wrong with him is he is guilty of creating the odd turnover. Understandable due to his age and the fact that all young players do this now and then. imho This is correctable by increasing the speed of his linemates so he can create easier plays on the rush, and getting him trained on better team systems, and I don't think that will be available to him in Calgary next season.

Finally got a canucks Jersey. Think I picked a gooder.attachicon.gifIMG_20150330_183851.jpg

what if he never ever wears #18 for the canucks? or what if he only wears that number after we change our jerseys?

Then Stanton best give up his # to Jake.

Jk

and what if Jake chooses a different number altogether?

too big of a jersey foul risk.

Edited by avelanch

Finally got a canucks Jersey. Think I picked a gooder.attachicon.gifIMG_20150330_183851.jpg

virtanen wore #77 for the canucks when he was out doing the raise a reader thingy i believe... you must have butt loads of money...

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=633088

good number, wonder if it was a random pick or if he is going to keep 77

Edited by Laoag

Jake won all 3 faceoffs they showed him taking. That is another valuable skill for a winger!

Jake's biggest issue seems to be deciding when to dance and when to pass, he tries to dance through traffic to much...although when he does break through it creates havoc.

Knowing when to try will help him out and these issues in his game are probably all fixable in one training camp and half a season of applying what he learned.

He is still a long shot to make the Canucks out of training camp but no more so than he was a few months ago...particularly if he stays with the Hitmen who don't seem to coach him very well, the Canucks may decide to keep him up just to get him good coaching...

virtanen wore #77 for the canucks when he was out doing the raise a reader thingy i believe... you must have butt loads of money...

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=633088

good number, wonder if it was a random pick or if he is going to keep 77

He won't keep #77 for an extended period of time. Despite Dorsett and Horvat carrying higher numbers I am pretty sure that the Canucks are still making players pick lower numbers. Personally I like that.

He won't keep #77 for an extended period of time. Despite Dorsett and Horvat carrying higher numbers I am pretty sure that the Canucks are still making players pick lower numbers. Personally I like that.

new management new rules. It seems like any number goes now
  • Upvote 1

My impression of him is that he's far too fast for Calgary and he constantly has to slow down and wait for his linemates. He's also been the most physically dominant player in any given game he's been in this season. Calgary's been using him in all situations, with many different linemates, but esp. in a shutdown role. He is able to tightly check any assignment because of his speed and size, and it's not just him plowing guys into the boards shift-to-shift, he has an active stick as well. He even takes some important defensive zone faceoffs and can win them. This is intriguing because that means his reported 'lack of defense' is pure mythology.

It's just a guess, but I can see Jim Benning possibly being involved with this type of usage, if not Virtanen himself. To get Virtanen more focused on defensive assignments instead of trying to score as many goals as possible. This will only make him a better, more complete NHLer in the future.

The only thing I see wrong with him is he is guilty of creating the odd turnover. Understandable due to his age and the fact that all young players do this now and then. imho This is correctable by increasing the speed of his linemates so he can create easier plays on the rush, and getting him trained on better team systems, and I don't think that will be available to him in Calgary next season.

Well, if Canucks management agree that Hitmen are not the best fit for him next season, that could be pretty interesting. What can happen?

A. Canucks will keep him for the season (will he be ready?)

B. Canucks will try to push Hitmen to trade him (how possible is that?)

Is there any other option?

Edited by pmalina